Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 02-15-2005, 05:25 AM   #61
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: You Got That Right.

I think it's only the last few years that the Japanese have really figured out rust proofing, they don't salt roads here but just about any Japanese car more than a few years old will rust if it gets dinged
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-15-2005, 05:30 AM   #62
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: The USA has that market cornered.

Plastic Cladding.....Pontiacs contribution to auto design....
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 06:58 AM   #63
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Default Re: Hyosung coming to the USA as ''Hyosung''?

Hey Cuddy, how did you do at the race last weekend? VWW
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 06:58 AM   #64
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Hey Cuddy, how did you do at the race last weekend? VWW
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 07:05 AM   #65
rjosephc
Registered Member

hmmm.... here's the skinny...

The first "Nissan" car -ever- was called DAT (after the last initials of it's three primary engineers/project managers... three Japanese dudes). Believe it or not, the name Datsun was born from "Son of DAT" or Dat-son. Name changes to the company went back and forth and, I believe, had more to do with internal company restructuring and stuff rather than what whitey would think of the name.

Changing the name for the US is mildly common, however. Panasonic is Matsu****a in Japan. Easier for gaijin to pronounce Panasonic... besides, it sounds cool or something. Along that same vein, Mazda is actually Matsuda. But I guess it was determined that whitey would have an easier time with Mazda (which is pronounced almost exactly the same as Matsuda would be in Japan anyway).

The best example ever is Brother, the Japanese sewing (and later, fax) machine company. The original company name was Yasui. Five brothers ran that company. They wanted to bring their products to the American market just after WWII. They were convinced a Japanese name would not sell because of that whole WWII thing. So they ran with the name Brother. Dig.
rjosephc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 07:11 AM   #66
rjosephc
Registered Member

woops....

Actually Brother went to Brother from Yasui before WWII. But I'm pretty damned sure the idea was to make their products more appealing to their North American customer base. At least, that's what I was told when I went on a tour of their factory in Nagoya, Japan, back in '97.

rjosephc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 07:23 AM   #67
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

No, it's on the 26th & 27th of this month (Saturday & Sunday). I'm already getting the jitters.

I took the bikes out to the dez on Sunday to get some saddle time. Man, my old ('87)CR500 is a lot faster than I am. Maybe I'm just gettin' too old and weak for that missle, hope it doesn't spit me off at any onscene rate of speed at the race.

The DT1 was it's old stolid self. Ploding along. Ring-a-ding ding ding. Even with the GYT kit, its mucho slow senior.

That's why I like vintage racing, it's a lot better anymore crashing at 30 mph than at 70. I don't bounce back (or bounce even) that quick now a days.

Anyway, I plan on doing a whole "Adelanto" expose with pics and everything after the race. That is if I can still move my hands.

Hey, send me an email: cuddy@sbcglobal.net and I'll send you a pic of the "fleet". Lot's of neat old bikes.

Later,

MC
Old 02-15-2005, 09:00 AM   #68
wwalkersd
Founding Member

No, I think it was just that they marketed as Nissan everywhere else in the world and wanted to have a single corporate moniker worldwide, a lesson Hyosung seems to be taking to heart. I agree with other posters of a certain age (i.e., those of us old enough to have driven Datsuns), there was nothing wrong with Datsuns that I recall. Well, OK, they did do the F10 and some other monstrosities in the late 70s-early 80s, but I don't think that precipitated the name change.
wwalkersd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 12:30 PM   #69
union4ever
Registered Member

In this whole Anglicization vein and directly relevant to motorcycles is "Bridgestone", which is the translation of the founder's name (Ishibashi--lit. "stone bridge"), rearranged slightly to resemble Firestone, a company he much admired (according to the corp. website).
union4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 01:34 PM   #70
James_Brown
Registered Member

Default Re: You Got That Right.

In certain parts of Pittsburgh, if you squint a bit its still 1960. Ahhhh, the rust belt...
James_Brown is offline   Reply With Quote