Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 02-04-2005, 03:02 AM   #1
Chango
Founding Member

Default Re: Carbon Fiber Frames

Huh. If the factories don't use carbon fiber frames in MotoGP, where the search for less weight is so paramount, why would I want one for the street, where potholes are bigger than mountains?

I could be wrong. It's happened once before...

Chango

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-04-2005, 03:46 AM   #2
maladg
Registered Member

I suppose the electrics would have to be set up like some of the Zooks - with all grounds returning to the battery.

Hmmmmm.

I spent may years providing a business service to a manufacture of aerospace composites - WOW - that stuff is ubercool to see in the mfg process. And not all of it is carbon, either.

Looking forward to living in the future! Without choppers, too.
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 03:58 AM   #3
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Having personally broken bicycle frames that were carbon fiber while riding, I certainly wouldn't want to be on one of these when it decides to let loose at 80 mph. Not to mention that those bike frames were whippy as hell too. I can't imagine they getthe stiffness they need without making it brittle. I guess somebody has to be a test dummy for these things. I'll pass.
Old 02-04-2005, 04:20 AM   #4
nokneedragin
Founding Member

Does look pretty (for a chopper frame), I don't think I'll be seeing em at the rub hangouts. No self respecting modern true american male chopper rider would dare to show up on on some bastard use of technology. He knows the hard forged american steel is far superior to any plastic gimmickry atrocycly frame.

However, I think its cool that someones trying something different.
nokneedragin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 04:54 AM   #5
Abe_Froman
Founding Member

An interesting idea for choppers, they're making everthing out of carbon fiber these days so might as well give it a go.

I remember seeing a Bimota up close at the motorcycle show several years ago that had the swingarm-pivot section of the frame done in a solid block of carbon fiber, bolted to the frame spars. It appeared to be so thick that I wonder if it was any lighter than the cast aluminum pieces that they use now but it sure looked cool.
Abe_Froman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 05:06 AM   #6
jungkvist
Founding Member

High-performance carbon-fiber frames for choppers?

I am not going to dignify this by reading it.

What next?

Carbon-fiber bowling balls?

How about, carbon-fiber coffee tables, those would certainly be useless.

Maybe, titanium dildos coated with carbon-fibre, inlayed with fibre-optics that glow in different patterns; flames, tribal, paisley, etc...depending on your mood.

The mind bobbles at the limitless-stupility of the human mind, and the market place.
Old 02-04-2005, 05:38 AM   #7
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

I disagree. Most guys on the tour use carbon bikes for time trials and climbing stages, NOT for road stages. They use different bikes for different races. Carbon frames are NOT stiffer than steel. Ever. They are even whippy for the greyhound tour riders that ride them. They are lighter, which is why they are used for time trials and climbing stages. Plus, tour riders aren't going to ride those bikes for more than one month, so they aren't subject to the same stresses as a person would put on them over 3 or 4 years.
Old 02-04-2005, 06:34 AM   #9
trumant
Founding Member

If you had read the story you would see that I feel pretty much the same way you do. Choppers clearly aren't performance focused machines, so the only reason I can imagine why someone would drop 15 large on such a monstrosity is for looks alone.
Old 02-04-2005, 06:59 AM   #10
5valvethumper
Founding Member

Carbon Fiber is amazingly strong. I could see why they would need it to prop up their fat a$$es. I imagine it's not about shedding weight, obviously there are better places to start.
5valvethumper is offline   Reply With Quote