Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 02-04-2005, 06:30 AM   #12
allthatwanders
Founding Member

Default Re: Carbon Fiber Frames

"NOT stiffer than steel. Ever." That really depends on how you define stiffness. Carbon fiber is really strong axially, and any composite is strong in whatever direction the fibers run. Generally people only lay up the fiber in one plane, so it is only "stiff" under certain conditions. Which is beautiful if you have a lot of stress in only a few directions. The great thing is you can tweak them to do odd things, like lengthen under torsion, or be able to take unbelievable torqe but bend like rubber. I heard of one project where a guy is adding piezoelectric fibers to the carbon and trying to make it move like a fish flipper just by modulating the voltage.
allthatwanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 06:33 AM   #13
allthatwanders
Founding Member

LOL, great point.
allthatwanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 06:58 AM   #14
Steve781
Founding Member

Default Carbon Conducts

Actually no. Carbon fiber is an excellent conductor. We found this out the hard way when I was building 4 wheeled racers as school projects (mechanical engineering projects are cool!). We were having hell with our electrics until we figured out we were shorting through the frame! Instead of grounding to the frame we had to carefully insulate all our electrical conductors. We didn't want to count on grounding through the frame, since the original wiring plan had called for all return to a grounding strip next to the battery. If you planned it that way from the get go I don't see any reason why you couldn't ground all your electrics through the frame.
Steve781 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 07:03 AM   #15
maladg
Registered Member

Default Re: Carbon Conducts

Thanks for the info, Steve. It is Friday and I learned something - a good day!
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 07:04 AM   #16
acecycleins
Founding Member

Default Re: Carbon Fiber Chopper Frames

Being a GA boy, I am familiar with Revolution and they build a quality product. I'm sure they've done stress test to insure rigidity since the majority of the bikes they build tend to use larger v-twin motors (lotsa torque, ya know). The electrics would be the biggest question. Other than that, it would make a hell of a chopper. Just wish the tank were shaped a little differently.
Old 02-04-2005, 07:10 AM   #17
bboule
Founding Member

Carbon frames are so weak and whippy that nearly 100% of the top riders are riding bikes that are almost completely carbon.

Carbon bikes are so weak and prone to failure that companies like Trek offer lifetime warranties on all their carbon frames.
bboule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 08:03 AM   #18
seruzawa
The Toad

Two for one! Good job!
Old 02-04-2005, 08:07 AM   #19
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Carbon Conducts

It depends on the impedance of carbon fiber. It may be conductive enough to cause problems but still resist current enough to be inadequate as a conductor. Resistors used in electronics are usually made from carbon.

Anyone have data on carbon fiber's conductivity?
Old 02-04-2005, 08:11 AM   #20
Neal
Founding Member

Remember that in the high dollar chopper world form is more important than function.If it functions as good (or even almost as good)as other frames and it looks different enough to set you apart in the show arena,its worth the money to you----IF you are aHigh dollar chopper type guy. Me personally---I would go the low tech ,low dollar,low visual impact route but I enjoy looking.This is definitely a neat idea for someone looking for a leg up on the competition.
Neal is offline   Reply With Quote