Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 01-31-2005, 06:07 PM   #1
JPColl
Founding Member

Default Re: Hyosung -- The Next Big Brand?

my first first post?

Where was this when I wanted a twin? I didn't like the new SV---too industrial, whereas their old frame was nicely organic in shape. The Hyosung frame is niiiiice. Didn't want a M620. Can't get a Cagiva Raptor. This is the best of all worlds. 'Cept no EFI.

But how does it stack up against the Connie and VFR?

JPColl is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-31-2005, 06:21 PM   #2
slouch
Registered Member

Have you seen one up close? The local Yam dealership is also the Alpha (Hyosung) dealer and you can really see the cheap on the bike. It looks like they made a SV 650 in 1985 and kept it dust free and ready for you. Was thinking of getting one until I saw it in the flesh. But you may dig it as they say one man's trash.
slouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 06:46 PM   #3
JPColl
Founding Member

nope, have not seen it. good to know, tho. I'll wait for my Cagiva Raptor 650, then.
JPColl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 01:47 AM   #4
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

A Japanese mfg. unhappy that they are being copied and undercut in pricing?? I guess they just found out how it feels, eh?
Old 02-01-2005, 01:50 AM   #5
boru4761
Registered Member

Why not? I have to say that I have been caught looking at a Korean car a few times in the last year. So, who says a Korean company can't build decent bikes on the cheap? They should offer a ridiculously long warranty to help assuage fears of poor quality control. It has worked before.
boru4761 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 04:02 AM   #6
pdad13
Founding Member

Motor Cyclist did a test in Austrailia with a preproduction GT650 and they complimented the fit and finish. The only real negatives were that the front brakes were a bit underspec, but not bad at all, and the rear shock was a bit too firm and not damped properly. They also said the front inverted fork was very good (much better than the SV650), and the engine was nice.

However, I've not seen one in person yet, so maybe MC was being a bit too forgiving. I'd like to see for myself.
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 04:02 AM   #7
iamz
Founding Member

It says in the article "...thereÂ’s been less than one percent warrantee claims..." refering to the scooters that have been imported into Canada. I guess something can look cheap but still be built well but what exactly could you point out that looked cheap and breakable (welds castings, paint)?
iamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 04:04 AM   #8
pdad13
Founding Member

Wow, I can't believe they actually managed to make a half-faired bike (GT650S) that doesn't look like parts are missing. Nice job.

They may not be perfect yet, but Hyosung seems to be on the right track.
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 04:43 AM   #9
seruzawa
The Toad

Default About time.

(rant)

Some more competition is just what the Dr. Seruzawa ordered. Has anyone else noticed that the current idea of a "new" model is a different paint job on the metric cruisers that have been around for more than a decade? The VFR gets a pointless upgrade to Vtec but leaves the self-destructing voltage regulators? HD changes footpeg positions? Suzuki makes the SV frames uglier than ever?

All these minor and mostly cosmetic changes are ushered in with reams of overblown ad copy that would put a political campaign PR flack to shame. "Bold New Cruisers for a New Millenium!" "The Greatest Motorcyle Revolution in the Known Universe".

Oh please.

(rant off)

Maybe in a couple of years HondaYamahaSuzukiKawasaki will be requesting protection from Korean dumping.
Old 02-01-2005, 05:10 AM   #10
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

It's always good for the prospective buyer to have more competition for his dollar. Hyosung's cruiser is to be the best looking bike of that genera from the orient. The 250 is a welcome addition to the paucity of beginnerÂ’s bikes available here in the U.S. , and should be a mandatory stepping stone for all riders new to our sport. All of the 650s look better than the Japanese competition in their respective categories, and hey, if you're going to copy a bike, the first edition Suzuki SV is a good place to start.VWW
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote