Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Misc News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/misc-news/)
-   -   R.I.P. Fabrizio Meoni (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/misc-news/2629-r-i-p-fabrizio-meoni.html)

kowalke67 01-11-2005 06:16 PM

Re: R.I.P. Fabrizio Meoni

I never realized how dangerous this race (and this type of racing) is. The day before this Jose-Manuel Perez died from injuries he sustained in a crash during stage 7. Another great, Richard Sainct, died from crash injuries during the Pharaoh Rally in Egypt just four months earlier. In the DakarÂ’s 27 year history 22 riders have died.

I'm not getting some perverse thrill out of these stats or trying to defame the sport. I respect rally racing and the Dakar in particular for being one of the most unique and challenging races of all types of motor sports. However, do you have to step back and ask whatÂ’s wrong where a competitor dies nearly every year of the event?

g-bear 01-11-2005 06:28 PM

I read on an Italian site that he died of a heart attack. If it's true, it might have happened anywhere and at least he died while doing what he loved.

v2-90 01-11-2005 08:48 PM

Negative. Here's a clip from the Rider Report.com website:

Tuesday, Jan. 11, 2004 -- Fabrizio Meoni has died while competing in the Dakar Rally. According to the organizers, Meoni crashed about 6 miles into the 11th stage, a 431-mile stretch between Atar and Kiffa in Mauritania, just after Check Point 1. A medical team arrived by helicopter 15 minutes later, but Meoni died less than hour after the crash.

v2-90

Holy_Kaw 01-11-2005 10:51 PM

There's so much to say... I say this. My condolences to his family and friends.

SRMark 01-12-2005 03:31 AM

Meoni and Sainct were two of the very best. A gaping hole has been torn in the fabric of the off-road racing community. To all who new them, I offer my deepest sympathy. For those who now drop out of the race, I offer my understanding and for those who continue on, I offer my best wishes.

jungkvist 01-12-2005 04:01 AM

IÂ’ve never heard of Fabrizio Meoni, and I have just the most vague idea of where he died. And, Some people might think that it's a shame, dying in such a remote and desolate land while competing in such an obscure race. So, while my heart goes out to everyone who knew and loved him, part of me is amazed at his luck. Because, he passed from this world while doing what he loved.

dsm 01-12-2005 05:38 AM

I was stunned and saddened to read this today. I have been a fan of Fabrizio for many years and will miss him. I wish the best for his family.

KTM is reconsidering their position in regards to rally racing. I feel it would be a huge disrespect to Sainct and Meoni if they abanded their effort after they gave their lives to the sport. It's a hard race, everyone who enters it knows this. Some things are worth doing simply because they're so hard.

Abe_Froman 01-12-2005 06:08 AM

There are usually two or three deaths each year at the Isle of Man, from what I understand, but nobody is asking what's wrong with that event......I suppose it's obvious, they're all certifiable......One of the videos about Leoni shows another rider commenting that he was riding behind Leoni, and they weren't really travelling that fast, the crash is somewhat inexplicable....accidents happen.

waepoint 01-12-2005 06:39 AM

I agree with you. It seems very odd to me that KTM is so quick to pull the plug on Dakar participation. I doubt that anybody goes into the Dakar rally with too many illusions, and I think it minimizes the accomplishments of these and other great racers who have gone before to simply retreat in the face of these events.

gniewko 01-12-2005 07:21 AM

Are you kidding? The Dakar rally is not by any stretch of the imagination "an obscure race". It's a huge event that people around the world follow. Just because Americans don't know anything about it doesn't mean that it's obscure.