Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 01-12-2005, 06:27 AM   #11
pdad13
Founding Member

Default Re: R.I.P. Fabrizio Meoni

I read about this yesterday. Very, very sad. And while I don't necessarily agree with KTM's suggestion that all of their riders and crew withdraw from the Dakar (I don't think Meoni would have wanted that), I do give them credit for thinking of something other than publicity and money.

R.I.P. Fabrizio
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-12-2005, 06:46 AM   #12
kowalke67
Founding Member

I was surprised at reading about KTM's thoughts of quiting Dakar too. I think they are in a devestated state of mind and could change their outlook when they've had more time to come to grips with this. I'm sure the team members are very close and losing two of your greatest riders and friends in a period of a few months has a dramatic affect on you.

Like you say, it's a hard race. There are no lack of willing participants. I imagine the KTM riders would find another ride if KTM pulls out of rally racing. One of my favorite scenes in the movie Le Mans is when Steve McQueen's ex wife (I think) who is the current wife of a racer who was just killed in a crash is distraught and asking him why they race. All he could say was racers live for the next race, everything in between is just killing time.
Old 01-12-2005, 06:52 AM   #13
kowalke67
Founding Member

I'm not really advocating it either. But I have to admit it does stir my curiosity about why. In the end I'd think I'd discover what I already know, it's rough terrain, fast speeds, fatigue, and a grueling environment. It takes a real adventurer and competitor to subject themself to that. If this was an event held in the U.S. I imagine there would be a big uproar and the safety nazi's and regulators would try to step in. Someone would be looking for someone to sue. Some people are built for living their life taking big risks, we all have our personal threshold. Dakar is a venue that's not for the faint of heart.

Certifiable is probably the case. I read an article in CW on Irish road racing and it is insane. 150 mph down narrow bumpy country roads two feet away from a barrier or a fence. Spectartors lined up just a few feet off the road. No room for error there.
Old 01-12-2005, 07:15 AM   #14
dsm
Founding Member

I think KTM is the last manufacturer to give significant factory support to the Dakar rally. If they do pull out it will not bode well for the future of the event. I'm not quite so sure their team members would be able to find another ride. The privateer route is a bit pricey.
dsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 08:32 AM   #15
12er
Founding Member

I'm Pissed that Speed dropped the coverage this year. D@mn nascrap channel.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 08:38 AM   #16
12er
Founding Member

Last year on the big 950 KTM's they were hitting near 140mph on some stages of the Dakar with no roads.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 09:05 AM   #17
Neal
Founding Member

Motorcycle racing is by nature a dangerous sport. We had an AHRMA dirt tracker die in a race recently. Last year we had a roadracer die. Two years ago a local young MXer died in a practice sessiom in West Va. We all know the risk and choose to participate or not based on our risk assessment anf faith in our ability to manage that risk(or not). As long as the organizers of the event are doing the best they can to mitigate the risk,the race should go on. DAKAR is the single biggest offroad event in the world .it is the motorized offroaders equivalent of the Tour de France. This tragedy should not cause folk to consider dropping it.
Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 09:07 AM   #18
Neal
Founding Member

Agreed....I hope once the initial shock and pain subsides a little they decide to continue.
Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 09:36 AM   #19
nokneedragin
Founding Member

God speed to him, and my sympathies to his family and friends.

If KTM pulls out of rally races, I'll guaranty its an MBA/Insurance/public image decision. Which would tick me off some, because KTM has been one of those companies I've admired, because they did not go with the MBA/insurance/public image, mode of operation.
nokneedragin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 10:28 AM   #20
gniewko
Registered Member

Yeah, I'm pissed off too. Last year the coverage on Speed was very good, for every stage. This year OLN (Outdoor Living Network) was supposed to cover it instead, and they had some pre-Dakar programming about KTM selecting a team of American riders in a reality-TV-style show. Then it turned out that they'll have just a couple hours of coverage AFTER the race is over! Idiots.
gniewko is offline   Reply With Quote