Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Misc News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/misc-news/)
-   -   Fischer MRX 650: Would you buy one? (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/misc-news/2627-fischer-mrx-650-would-you-buy-one.html)

mile_eater 01-08-2005 03:29 AM

Nope.

I ain't buyin' an "American" bike with a Hyosung Motor.

When I decide to buy American, it will be a CityX for me thanks.

5valvethumper 01-08-2005 04:05 AM

Re: Fischer MRX 650: Would you buy one?

Ditto..I'm fine with the 650 displacement..just not where it's made. On the other hand, $10K is steep for a 650...if an American made motor puts that number any higher, I'd just as well go with the SV.

logos1 01-08-2005 04:15 AM

That's a great looking bike...and I don't have too many illusions that when I "buy American", my new car, bike, sound system, etc., won't include plenty of parts made overseas somewhere. The deal-killer for me would be the comparable value; if it's not worth the extra money in parts, performance, or appearance, I'll shop elsewhere. I'm fairly certain there are enough folks out there that want something "unique" and will pay the extra money just to have it, and that's cool with me. Eventually, the balance of value and price will either make it marketable or not. Hope things work out well for them!

seruzawa 01-08-2005 04:40 AM

Why not? Since Harleys are overpriced and loaded with foreign-made parts, why should Americans turn away from the overpriced Fisher made with a few foreign parts.... engine, electrics, suspension, tires, battery, brakes....... er, exactly what part of the bike is built in the USA?

Q: Which comparable Japanese 650cc V-twin bike sells for $8.5K?

A: There aren't any.

So what the hell is Fisher talking about? I guess he's referring to the 600 supersports.

Don't get me wrong, I hope he's successful. But I ain't laying down $10K for an 800 much less a 650 with a V-Twin engine from Korea. On the other hand there are so many people willing to toss big bucks down the drain so they can bring home a chopper that there might be enough people who'll want a Fisher. At least it won't be an overly dangerous sort of contraption like a chopper.

On the plus side, since the bike is built mainly from quality import parts we will probably avoid a repeat of the "Indian Copycat Motorcycle Junk Company".

donzi 01-08-2005 05:07 AM

I think that there are many people who would love an American Sportbike and would pay a premium for it but the product has to be up to snuff. The heart of any bike is the engine and a 77hp korean 650 in a 400lb bike isn't that inspiring no matter what the rest of the bike is like.

I wouldn't buy it and I can't think of anyone that would.

bboule 01-08-2005 06:19 AM

I'd be a hell of a lot more likely to buy it with a Harley/Buell engine or an aftermarket American V-Twin.

Shock absorbers or brakes from another country is one thing, outsourcing the motor to Korea is a whole different story.

Buying this to me would feel like admitting we just can't build a modern sportbike motor in this country.

Just like everything else going overseas, this is a shame to me that they can't figure out a way to make a modern motor here. Do we suck that bad? Triumph can do it without paying their factory workers slave wages...

Besides I bet this thing will get smoked by a Buell, much less a japanese bike.

They shouldn't even have all that US patriotic stuff on the website.

mikenomad 01-08-2005 06:37 AM

What is the point of this bike?

It doesn't provide anything that's not already available. (Other than the "American" label, which is clearly a misnomer in this case, given the engine.)

jungkvist 01-08-2005 06:50 AM

Dude! Awesome Piece! LMAOÂ…"as we all know, a huge top end on the street is really only useful as an effective way to clean up the gene pool."

Far as the Hysong engine, I checked the Fischer website you posted, and I couldnÂ’t find how itÂ’s carbureted. If Fischer can get the power delivery right, and the chassis is as advertised, it might be the bike most us should be riding. Unfortunately, numbers matter, so IÂ’m sure the engineÂ’s going to be a hard sell. Luckily (and, this is my reptile speaking) I know that several of BrittenÂ’s former engine-people are out there and that would be a great pedigree to add to the Fischer (one Hellava engine, too). However, there would definitely be difficulty in dealing with the Britten Company, as it stands now.

Apparently, all that’s left of Britten is a glorified souvenir shop and a management that only cares about making as much money as possible from John’s name (and, don’t anyone go flaming for that ‘cause I can back it up). While that is absolutely FUBAR, since the Britten name has only so much shelf-life, it may be possible to pry the name out of their greedy-little-hands, for a reasonable figure. If not, Britten’s former people (most of whom wish the current Britten management were dead) are still out there (and, we both know how THAT could be made to work).

Okay, gotta go before my skin starts shedding.

Again, Great Piece!

Kevin

pdad13 01-08-2005 07:05 AM

My sentiments exactly. The frame is a product of the USA. I'm also assuming the bodywork is, too. Gemini also did the top end work on the motor (sqeezing another eight or nine hp from it.) Not sure where the wheels and controls will be from.

I'd be much more inclined to think that the MRX would be better accepted with a higher output engine that, at least, was not designed and built in Asia, even if it upped the price another grand or so.

Although, a supercharged version would be an entirely different animal in the market. If it could make around 100 hp, it might get a second look.

The other problem is that Hyosung is releasing the Comet 650 here this year (very similar to the SV650) for about $6000.00--and apparently a very nice bike, to boot. And they also have plans to follow that up with a liter sport bike soon after. How is any potential Fischer buyer going to feel about the fact that his/her $10K bike is powered by the same engine as a bike that costs 40% less?

pdad13 01-08-2005 07:18 AM

If you look at the onewheeldrive.net piece, there's a computer rendering of the motor. You'll see the carbs there. Plus, I know for a fact that the Hyosung Comet 650--the bike this engine was designed for--has good, ole' fashioned carbs.

By the way, I've heard the same thing about Britten. Apparently, anyone who had anything to do with the actual motorcycles has departed--at least some very angry.

I don't thing they could make the Britten name stick with that motor, and I think it's obvious Fischer doesn't have the resources to develop one from the ground up--even with the Britten people on board. Plus, they'd have to abandon the American-made positioning, although in reality, they kind of done that de facto anyway.