Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 01-08-2005, 09:16 PM   #52
EthanR
Founding Member

Default Re: Fischer MRX 650: Would you buy one?

>What else is sad, is that Buells sell BECAUSE they have that crappy engine and tranny in them.

Nope. The "I'd buy one if it just had a real engine/tranny" deal has been beaten to death on this site. Buells sell because they're flat-out fun to ride, as is born out by its good showing in round one of the streetfighter shootout.

When I was shopping for a 2nd sportier bike to keep my Valk company, I wasn't even considering the Buell (I was looking at the SV650, Duc Monster, and the various IL4 600s) until a friend who owns one talked me into a test ride. I bought an XB12S in spite of initial reservations re the engine...because it left me grinning in a way none of the other bikes did.

It would be great to have another American sportbike join the fray, but it'll probably be a hard sell at that price unless it can really outperform the SV650 and Buells.
Old 01-09-2005, 01:34 AM   #53
jungkvist
Founding Member

Default I'm ((SO)) Confused...

That's okay, neither am I. But...

If I'm not here...when I get back...tell me to stick around...I'll be right there.
Old 01-09-2005, 04:45 AM   #54
yzedf
Founding Member

What you need is a 250cc 2-stroke race bike. 4-stroke street bikes for the track just have too many limitations. You can get used Honda, Yamaha or Aprilia's for a decent price.
yzedf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 07:59 AM   #55
pdad13
Founding Member

Default Re: Take a look at the SV650

In the U.S., Hyosungs are branded as Alphasports, or Alpha for short.

How do you think people felt about the name "Kawasaki" when it first appeared here? Or "Yamaha," or "Suzuki?"

I think that their best bet for this country is to go with the shortend "Alpha." Although, in the rest of the world, they go by Hyosung (pronounced h-YO-sung).
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 08:41 AM   #56
jungkvist
Founding Member

Default Funny you should mention that...

I was wondering, and trying to remember what I thought about Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki and Kawasaki (respectively) as they come into the country. And, I really can't remember being all-that shocked, or amused, by them.

Though, I do remember being blown-away when I found out Honda and BMW made cars. And, the Yamaha-tuning-forks-thing, had me goin there for a while, too. But, thats about it.

However, Subaru got a couple of snickers, if I remember right.

BTW, I'm a mite annoyed with you at the moment...Ever since I read "hy O sung," I've had...

"Hy-O! Hy-O! It's off to work we go! With a Hy O sung, at the top of out lungs. Hy O! Hy O..."

Running through my head

Old 01-09-2005, 09:20 AM   #57
jungkvist
Founding Member

Default I'm just droppin this in here 'cause it fits...

After my cat woke my up this morning, at 530, I started thinking...

And, I know IÂ’ve been in on-this probably more than I should. But, 1st ,ItÂ’s lotÂ’sa fun, and 2nd, IÂ’m avoiding research work that I should be doing (not doing it, pretty good, too). So, this is what I came up with...And, Sorry! But, this is how my mind really works...

The Fischer does have some good points - not the least of them being - some very-nice design work, a set of Ohlins inverted forks, and a fully-adjustable rear suspension. Unfortunately, once you get past the suspension, on the spec-sheet, there's Not-Much there (and, included in Not-Much is a set of Continental tires…zzzz). For all that - and Not-Much - you pay ten-large – however - you also get, what amounts to, an extra, 5 hp and 6 ft/lb. of torque.

Let me seeÂ…hmmÂ…That comes to $3700 more than an SV650 (if you pay list for the SV; and, who does that?). As for FisherÂ’s dealer network (as yet, none) warrantee (remains to be seen) parts supply (whazzat?) reliability (too early to tell) and by now you should be able to see the direction I'm moving (though, not likely, on a Fischer).

Yes, I know! IÂ’m being a Rat-Bastard about the whole thing, but ThemÂ’s-the-Facts!

Now, here’s the good news(if you have a shred of self-awareness) about the MRX 650. Most of us really don’t measure up to anything with much more power than the MRX 650, anyway. Sorry to mess with you illusions - just the same – you got over, never sleeping with Super Models (while conscious) SO DEAL WITH IT! So, since, it would take around $2K to up-grade an SV650 to the level of MR X, and you would still have an SV, when you’re done; the Fisher might not be such a bad deal (if you care all-that-much about exclusivity, that is).

As for, all of theÂ…Buy-Us! Flag-Waving! Golly! DonÂ’t you just feel awful about 9/11, Bull $hitÂ…Hell, ISNÂ’T DEEP ENOUGHÂ…for the cynical bastards!

Now, back to my research (you guys know anything about 10th Century, Western Russia?).

Old 01-09-2005, 09:36 AM   #58
gforces
Founding Member

Default sign me up

After riding around my 50hp Hawk GT for 3 years, I've come to realize that there is more fun in riding smaller, lightweight bikes that handle than tiptoeing around on 160hp cruise missiles that will spit me off with one sneeze.

I've been seriously considering upgrading to an SV650s, but after upgrading the Hawk's suspension bits to superbike specs, it'll be hard to start over again with the SV's bargain bits.

This appears to be exactly what I'm looking for. If it'll come in under 10k, I'll buy. If it'll come in around 11k for the supercharged version, even better! I don't give a hoot if the engine isn't made on American soil. Car manufacturers do the same. The first Plymouth Voyager minivan had a Mitsubishi motor in it, and Dodge-Chrysler-Plymouth have been selling re-badged Mitsubishis for so long now. Pontiac's Vibe is a rebadged Toyota Matrix, even though it is built in Fremont, CA. Get with the program, people--it's called Global industry. The guys with the ideas and the design and the execution and the quality offering is ALL AMERICAN, and that's what I can appreciate.
gforces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 09:47 AM   #59
gforces
Founding Member

Default Don't have the time

Just how many "kits" do you think would sell? It would be the equivalent of assembling a bicycle, which most Americans can't even deal with.

And if they realized that they would have to source their own motor, be it a possibly bunk one from some obscure junkyard out in Jersey, you have yourself a half bike, put together by untrained consumers which would do wonders for the resale value

And let's not forget how the insurance companies that won't insure bikes put together by their own customers, with each one having different engines/components/varying degrees of reliability?

--just my .02
gforces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 09:59 AM   #60
dylanmo
Founding Member

Harley could go up the coast to have Mercury Marine cook up something sweet. That's probably been thought of, though.
dylanmo is offline   Reply With Quote