Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 01-08-2005, 04:52 PM   #41
jungkvist
Founding Member

Default Re: Somebody! Anybody! PLease!

I dunno, when ya think about Kpaul's gene-pool...getting fleeced might have a baaaaad connotation.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-08-2005, 04:57 PM   #42
jungkvist
Founding Member

Default Re: Fischer MRX 650: Would you buy one?

Shows ya what I know, I thought they used Tecumsuhs for B-lasts.
Old 01-08-2005, 05:21 PM   #43
jungkvist
Founding Member

Default Re: Take a look at the SV650

Tell the truth, they could call it a Dave, as far as I'm concernd. Just about anything would be better than Hyosong, 'cept for maybe HyoSilver (sure am glad you guys don't know where I livel).

Old 01-08-2005, 05:34 PM   #44
Pinkslip
Founding Member

It's sad, but I have to say I'm glad the company didn't go with a Harley engine (or tranny). Buells would be much, MUCH more attractive to me if they didn't run out of steam at 6500rpm and clunk into gear like a Sportster.

What else is sad, is that Buells sell BECAUSE they have that crappy engine and tranny in them. Harleys are expensive, because they have a name. Fischer will have to build their own name.

The engine, in its current state, could sink Fischer's project. Even if it were the SV650 motor, I think people would be turned off by it. Now, if they could offer the top-shelf suspenders, etc, with that supercharger too (for no more than that $10k estimate), it may add just enough uniqueness and character to an otherwise overpriced SV650.

Whatever the outcome, it is unimpressive to see another American company shy away from developing their own sportbike motor.
Pinkslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 05:45 PM   #45
jungkvist
Founding Member

Default Make it a Hooligan

Ya know...Ya can get close to 100hp out of an SV650 engine...IT'S A MITE PEAKY -- and you'd probably have to measure it's longevity with an egg-timer, but it can be done.

So, I say, trade the fancy fairing, for engine bits, and make the scariest 650 on the planet.

If you want to look like Squidly Diddly, cough-up $60 for an LP-cafe'-racer-fairing, mount it with bungee cords. and go to town.
Old 01-08-2005, 06:06 PM   #46
billhawley
Founding Member

They sold a fair number of Bimota motorcycles with vendor sourced engines, and at a far higher price than Dan Fisher is planning on seeking for his machine. Far more would've been sold if they weren't ridiculously priced. I for one think it's "underpriced" considering the bikes it'll compete with in the marketplace. Excelsior-Henderson proved that it's possible to spend 50 million Dollars getting a proprietary engine certified, so why follow them down that rathole? The Hyosung motor makes more power than the SV650. That begs the obvious question of: If the Japanese are so superior, why doesn't the SV make more? I say bring it on, and maybe we'll see the V-Rod engine in the Buells as a response (which is where it belonged in the first place).
billhawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 06:08 PM   #47
jungkvist
Founding Member

Default I like it.

Yeah, I mean, it's not like it hard to find wrecked sport bikes with less than 2000 mile on them. Unfortunately, 90% of them will be inline 4s.

But, what do I care! I gotta cousin who's a cop in Jersey City. Hell, if you can't find it wrecked or stolen there, it probably doesn't exist.

BTW...Whenever I see an American Flag on an advertisement (especially after 9/11) it makes me sick. That's got to be about the most cynical thing I can imagine. It makes Sally Struthers, blubbering a 2am, look like Mother Teresa.
Old 01-08-2005, 06:52 PM   #48
pdad13
Founding Member

Actually, according to the preliminary numbers, the SV does make a bit more power than the Hyosung right out of the box. Gemini Technologies did some work on the top end to extract some more power. But these are premilimary numbers, mind you.

Anyway, the engines should be close in performance because the same engineer was responsible for both the Suzuki and the Hyosung. They are very similar motors.
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 07:30 PM   #49
pdad13
Founding Member

Default Let me just add...

...something I forgot to mention. Hyosung's development facility is actually in Japan and is staffed by Japanese engineers. Not that should really make any difference. I give them credit for being aggressive.

Also, a little checking about the relative power of the engines of the SV650 and Comet 650 revealed higher claimed hp numbers than I originally saw for the Hyosung. Based on overseas articles, the Comet motor is claimed to make 79 hp (the preproduction model tested by one of the U.S. mags was claimed to make 69 or so). This would lead me to believe that the numbers for the MRX (77 hp and 51 foot-pounds of torque) could possibly be rear wheel numbers. But that's just a guess.

According to the reviews I saw, the Comet is very comparable to the SV. The only real weak points being less than spectacular front brakes and a wonky rear shock. The Comet is also a bit heavier due to the use of a steel frame. Oh, and very high praise for the engine.
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 07:41 PM   #50
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Take a look at the SV650

Dave's not here!