Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 01-08-2005, 07:40 AM   #11
nokneedragin
Founding Member

Default Re: Fischer MRX 650: Would you buy one?

While it's a stretch to call any vehical American made, I could see a great selling point in getting the Britten name on board. There is a history and an admiration in the sport bike world for what he did, and the motor was a howler to.

As far as the Fischer bike, I like the looks, it seems to have most of the right stuff, the motor makes it DOA. They need to stop the flag waving, get a decent mill into what looks like an otherwise well executed machine
nokneedragin is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-08-2005, 08:01 AM   #12
pdad13
Founding Member

I'm not disagreeing. It's just that they've already shown their hand with the "American-made" stuff. That's probably the whole essence of their business model, although I agree that they've botched it with that motor. That's probably how they're wooing any potential investors: "Hey, there's a big demand for a real American sport bike; it's the only way to compete with the Japanese in the U.S."

Unfortunately, by most people's standards, this is neither a "real" sport bike or a "real American" sport bike.

The Britten angle is a whole different plan of attack. And being that Britten is so closely tied to his own country--the romance associated with Britten is due in large part to the fact that he and his team hail from pip-squeak New Zealand--I'm not sure you can just superimpose the Britten name on an "American" bike. Maybe if he employed a good part of Britten's team, Fischer could sell an American-New Zealander alliance to take on the Japanese.

Of course, the problem with all of this is money. Fischer would have to fork over large sums of cash to pry the Britten name from the boneheads who own it. Plus he'd most likely have to transplant the former-Britten personnel.

The Britten-Fischer MRXV-1000? Maybe it could work. But it would cost him.
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 08:34 AM   #13
nokneedragin
Founding Member

Yea, its a shame whats happened to the Britten company.

It's probably true that they are "selling" this bike to investors right now, and the least costly method of production would be to use an existing motor from another manufacturer. The big four don't usually sell their motors to competitors, so they go with a Korean manuf. So they can get into production faster than designing and tooling your own motor.

Hopefully they can sell enough of these to make their own motor.

The concept is a good formula for a fun bike, small, light, decent power.

What motor should go into this bike?
nokneedragin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 09:07 AM   #14
seruzawa
The Toad

I have to differ a bit. The MRX IS a "real" sportbike. It may not have the arbitrary 100hp minimum in demand by the squidlies, but it is still a sportbike. After all, Ninja 250s, GS500Fs, SV650Ss and the like are sportbikes.

I refuse to let a few spec-junkies redefine "real" sport riding as riding 100+ hp bikes. For me, a blast around the mountains on an RD400 or a GS500 is more fun than the same on a 150hp literbike. You'd seldom get out of first gear on a CBR1000R. And you'd spend too much time worrying because you forgot your parachute.

But then, I could give a f%^k less what anyone else thinks about the bike I'm on. I buy it for me, not to pose.
Old 01-08-2005, 09:14 AM   #15
seruzawa
The Toad

How about a 750 triple? That would give a bit of uniqueness. More HP and torque (especially) than a supersport. Fisher is obviously not planning to field a racing team.

I think they would have done better to start out with a Rotax twin. An undeniable facet of the "buy American" crowd is a larger distaste for oriental imports than european ones. Unfair maybe, but difficult to dispute.
Old 01-08-2005, 09:34 AM   #16
Marin_Cycleworks
Registered Member

I'd buy one, but I'm weird. I have an RC51 set up as a track bike (ohlins, race bodywork, titanium exhaust, as much weight off as possible) and it's too heavy and too powerful for my current abilities.

I really like v-twin power delivery, so I'm thinking maybe a 749 but it's still on the heavy side, maybe an XB9R but I used to work on Buells and found them primitive and more show than go, SV650 but it wasn't meant to be a track bike and I'd have to replace just about everything but the frame and motor. Laverda 650, except that the company's essentially defunct and it's not a V-twin.

Too bad the Japanese market no longer produces 400cc racers, because a 300lb 400cc RC51 would be the dog's bollocks, if a bit low on power.

But this looks like an SV motor in a race frame. Can't find specs, but presumably it would be lighter than a 749? So I'd buy one if it's light enough.
Marin_Cycleworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 09:50 AM   #17
jungkvist
Founding Member

Default Somebody! Anybody! PLease!

Back before Christmas, I was working on a column about Britten and bouncing Emails with John Britten's biographer. From what he said, the engine and the people are still out there and the engine can be had.

While I'm certain I wouldn't buy a Hysong- powered Fischer, I'm pretty sure the same bike with a Britten engine might pique my interest.

I don't care who does it; I just wish someone would use Britten's engine. Not only would it make great sense from as a power plant, it would also keep John Britten's name alive.

And, from marketing stand point, (((YEOW!)))

If I couldnÂ’t "Spin" Britten, IÂ’d shoot myself!

Old 01-08-2005, 09:57 AM   #18
pdad13
Founding Member

I'm sorry, I didn't make myself clear. What I meant by "most people's standards" are the perceptions of the sport bike buyers at large.

The original "sports cars" of the 50's and 60's were small and agile, but not very powerful, even by that era's standards. So I agree that the Fischer is a sport bike (assuming it works), but I'm not sure enough of the target audience will view a $10K "underpowered" bike that way. After all, a Ninja 250s, GS500s, EX500s, etc., don't cost anywhere near what the Fischer will.
Old 01-08-2005, 10:14 AM   #19
pdad13
Founding Member

Default Re: Somebody! Anybody! PLease!

I wonder what it would cost. Hell, if Fischer can't do it, maybe we could take up a collection? Buzz has got some extra greenbacks floating around, I'm sure. We might have to dig up a few more Kpaul's relatives, though.

Old 01-08-2005, 10:39 AM   #20
jungkvist
Founding Member

Default Everything you've is true...

I can't argue with anything you said, but I might modify thing a bit.

Several of the BrittenÂ’s guys are developing their own engines, and that is one-direction things can go in.

Also, being that BrittenÂ’s widow is a "Greedy" and "Moronic" and the clock on the NameÂ’s shelf-life is ticking, there could be wiggle-room their.

Further more, the engine is a beast but it ainÂ’t real complexÂ…Okay, the belts a b!tch, that can be fixed. So, the possibility of manufacturing in the US isnÂ’t completely out of the question.

Now, I realize all of that would be a PAIN; but I gotta wonder, wouldn't you Kill for a chance to "spin" this one?