Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 12-13-2004, 03:32 PM   #1
eekadog
Founding Member

Default Re: Untrained Riders account for overwhelming majority of fatalities.

i earned my diploma in january...**wipes tears from eyes**
eekadog is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-13-2004, 03:41 PM   #2
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Nothing too surprising here. We've all commented on the large number of relatively unskilled middle aged people buying into the Harley, and Harley clone fad. Though I've never had any organized training, I've lived long enough to accumulate 3 grandchildren. I believe that the difference is that unlike many of those riders now having nasty accidents I started small and worked my way up the motorcycle learning curve. If any of you know someone new to motorcycling that is contemplating the purchase of more machine than they can probably handle, please strongly advise them against it. VWW
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 03:47 PM   #3
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Boy, you got that right. Motorcycling is serious business, and if you aren't skilled and have your head screwed on straight before every ride, expect bad things to happen. Seen too many beginners on big machines that can't handle them worth a crap.
Old 12-13-2004, 04:08 PM   #4
martinhd28
Registered Member

I've been riding since 1965. One road accident on my beautiful XS 11 touring, my stupid fault!! I had no formal training as there wasn't any then. Rode someones worked over X-6 Hustler with powerband like a lightswitch, man it was a real eye opener. Took three lanes to make a left hand turn, didn' t know countersteering then but I worked it out real fast. My first own bike was aCB450 Black Bomber and my first long ride of 4500 miles on that wonderful machine done on about $200 cash.and gas @ $.25 per gal.. First dirt bike was aDT1C learned by watching and talking with experienced riders here in Michigan [BEST TRAIL SYSTEM IN THE WORLD] . Some bruises and scrapes in trail riding, ice racing , and enduros, but I always tried to think that I had to work on Monday!! I wish there had been rider education at the start. but I did OK. Always encourage all beginning riders to take those courses from MSF. Always thought that one had to be good before you were fast, and just watch where that fast is being done.
martinhd28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 04:27 PM   #5
GreyOne
Registered Member

I had the benefit of MSF training 8 years ago and know for a fact that it saved me from serious injury more than once. I don't think the course was long enough but it helped by setting out things I should practice and be watchful for. The best part was they had enough guts to actually fail people or recommend they take the course a second time before repeating the test and going out on public roads.
GreyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 04:38 PM   #6
ebass
Founding Member

My first street bike was a 1987 Suzuki Intruder 750. No training whatsoever, just went down to the dealership, asked the salesman what all the levers did, and rode away. This was back in the pre-helmet law days mind you. Man, I just had NO clue!

Nowadays I tell anyone who asks me about getting a motorcycle that they need to watch "The Wild One" at least 3 or 4 times first and maybe follow up with "Easy Rider" after they've got about 6 months experience under their belts. If only someone would have taken me aside and gave me that advice when I was first starting I would have learned how to pose a LOT sooner! Thinking back on all of the hot chicks I missed out on due to lack of proper training still gives me nightmares to this day

ebass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 04:38 PM   #7
Pinkslip
Founding Member

I wonder what the stats look like for California. Out here, while car drivers still don't understand us (many would say they hate bikes), they're at least used to us.

I took MSF five years ago, but have taken a break from riding since. I plan on taking it again, not because I feel I need it, but it can't hurt. Will it be less interesting this time? Probably, but at the same time I know there will be things I've forgotten too. Besides, it reduces insurance costs.

As a Cycle Gear employee, I constantly see new riders. I am happy to report that almost all of those customers are wise enough to start on something new-rider-friendly (Hawk GT's, GS500's, etc.), and have passed (or at least scheduled) the MSF class.

Pinkslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 05:17 PM   #8
cjboothman
Founding Member

If you look at the bikes these people are riding I think the reason is apparent. The bikes the baby boomers are riding for rebel mystic are the Harley's or Harley clones. What do all these bikes have in common: too heavy, handle extremely poorly, brake poorly and some have too much power (not all). Even a beginnerÂ’s bike can get you into trouble. However, at least they are easier to handle, lighter and brake better. As for choppers, they just shouldn't be aloud on the streets; they're too dangerous.
cjboothman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 05:38 PM   #9
Hutchinator
Founding Member

Don't know what the stats are for AK, but I am certain we've got our share. Especially after things thaw, I'll be seeing a bunch of idiots with 1 block wheelies on busy downtown roads.

I took the entry MSF course this past summer, learned a lot, I'd say it is a must for anybody new to 2wheels.
Old 12-13-2004, 06:06 PM   #10
sarnali
Founding Member

No formal training, but I've been on motorcycles since before I was born, rode in a sidecar when I was a baby and have been on and around motorcycles all my life.

I used to skip school and steal my dads bike when he was at work, when he got tired of that he bought me my Hodaka. We used to ride enduros and Motocross together till I went in the Nav., he continued riding and racing into his 60's till health issues sidelined him. While everyone don't have the advantages I've had if you can spend any time on the dirt it'll make a better street rider of you.

The other thing is to ride yer' bike. If you've got something to do think about whether you need your car or if you can go on your bike. The key is to spend as much time and miles on your bike in differant and varied situations. If all you do is shred canyons on the weekend, well you'll be a hell of a canyon rider.....or worse if you just plug away down to the tavern at the same slow speed on the same old roads with the same old guys you're not really learning anything.

Better to get out and explore and just ride around, you'll learn to handle your bike in differant situations and gain confidance in what you and your bike can do. Then when the inevitable situation pops up, you can just ride your way around it instead of into it and go on your merry way.

Don't mean to get long winded, but motorcycles are my life.....Triumphs I do for fun.

FTW
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote