Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 12-14-2004, 01:38 PM   #81
eekadog
Founding Member

Default Re: Untrained Riders account for overwhelming majority of fatalities.

hmm...i guess starting with a 700 was a bad idea...
eekadog is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-14-2004, 03:12 PM   #82
jeffie
Founding Member

Default what is this article saying?

nothing useful here - maybe only 1 in 29 riders take MSF so the fatality figures show no improved safety for MSF attendees

Maybe one third of all motorcyclists in NH are in their first year of riding so the fatality figures show no improved safety for veteran riders

as long as stupid people write stupid articles referencing stupid numbers with no ststistical validation or population basis people will misinterpret what they are reading

I'm so tired of reading statistics stripped of meaning because the media needs to make interesting pablum for the intellectually lazy

oh wait - nevermind - they wouldn't understand real math anyway

jeffie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 04:52 PM   #83
Hutchinator
Founding Member

Default Re: AK Trip

Is there some event happening in AK that I've missed the news on, or ya'll just planning a trip?

If it is some sort of event, would you mind passing on what/when if it's open to the public?
Old 12-14-2004, 04:53 PM   #84
Hutchinator
Founding Member

Is there some event happening in AK that I've missed the news on, or ya'll just planning a riding trip?

If it is some sort of event, would you mind passing on what/when if it's open to the public?
Old 12-14-2004, 04:54 PM   #85
Hutchinator
Founding Member

Sorry for double post, ichy clicker finger ~
Old 12-14-2004, 05:01 PM   #86
Buzz_Waloch
Founding Member

The GPTB has been kicking around the idea of an Alaskan journey for quite some time. You'll have to become a member prior to being given any details about the trip.
I sincerely apologize for my antics her at MO. It is readily apparent that the majority of MO readers do not appreciate my megalomaniac WWF MO persona. Like the husband that is the last to know his wife is having an affair, I did not understand the detrim
Buzz_Waloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 06:19 PM   #87
opie
Founding Member

Default Re: Untrained Riders account for overwhelming majority of fatalities.

Took the MSF class 13 years ago at the age of 25. Took the Experienced Rider Course two years later (on my 1994 Yamaha GTS 1000, which was the only bike the instructor asked to ride during a break). At that time we were told that 85% of motorcycle accidents involved riders who had been drinking, and 95% of bike accidents involved riders with no formal motorcycle training. I knew I wasn't bulletproof, (and I have been in a collision with a car once in the last 13 years) but I felt that taking the classes and not drinking and riding sure improved my odds.

This is also why, when I'm told of somebody's so & so who died/was maimed/crashed horribly in a motorcycle accident, I always express my sympathy, then ask about the details. I'm always amazed at how often these crashes were "one vehicle" accidents. The person telling the story (with a straight & somber face) truly believes that it was the motorcycle's fault that the "victim" took the turn too fast and ran into some immoveable object.
opie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 07:22 PM   #88
jungkvist
Founding Member

Default Re: Upon seeing the glazed looks of the Soon-to-be-Dead

Funny, but, if you try to go smaller than the EX500, there ain't much there. Sure, ya got the B-Last, the EC250 and a couple of streatched-out mopeds, they call cruisers, but that's about it.

My daughter learned on an EC250, and she loved it. Wish she wouldn't have sold it. Now, she's always stealing my bike. You'd think, she'd, at least, put some gas in it.
Old 12-14-2004, 07:34 PM   #89
jungkvist
Founding Member

Default Please! Somebody! Anybody! Invade Utah!

If invading Utah would keep Mormon Missionaries away from my door, then...Please! Somebody! Anybody! Invade Utah!
Old 12-14-2004, 07:36 PM   #90
jungkvist
Founding Member

Default Re: Tsk tsk.

Pi$$ off, Dipstick! Sorry, couldn't resist,