Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Misc News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/misc-news/)
-   -   Untrained Riders account for overwhelming majority of fatalities. (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/misc-news/2605-untrained-riders-account-for-overwhelming-majority-fatalities.html)

seruzawa 12-15-2004 05:39 AM

Re: Untrained Riders account for overwhelming majority of fatalities.

Maybe we could get him to defect to Quebec. He'd fit right in!

seruzawa 12-15-2004 05:42 AM

Re: Please! Somebody! Anybody! Invade Utah!

Buy one of those neon Budweiser signs like you see in bars and hang it in your front window. It's like showing a cross to a vampire.

naco_traficante 12-15-2004 05:53 AM

Re: Is the 2005 GSX-R600 a good beginner's bike?

Eekadog - I really thought that you were kidding but everybody else is taking your question seriously. So here is my serious answer: I think any true sportbike is not good

for a first-year rider. Start with something small (<600) or friendly like sv650 or Nighthawk. Get something used so you can drop it a few times. Buy the GSX in a couple years.

longride 12-15-2004 05:56 AM

Why I don't worry

Just pulled this off the web. Looks like I have WAAAAAAAY more to worry about than dying on a motorcycle. Hell, by the stats, I have a better chance of snuffing myself than letting someone else to it!:

Leading Causes of Death, Illinois, 2002

LEADING CAUSES OF DEATH, 2002 – Ages 45-64

All Causes 18,132

Malignant neoplasms 6,315

Diseases of heart 4,634

Accidents 925

(Motor vehicle) (310)

(All other) (615)

Cerebrovascular diseases 666

Diabetes mellitus 577

Chronic lower respiratory diseases 561

Chronic liver disease and cirrhosis 509

Suicide 364

Septicemia 358

Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome and nephrosis 303

Influenza and pneumonia 222

HIV disease 196

Homicide 119

Primary hypertension and hypertensive renal disease 112

jungkvist 12-15-2004 06:02 AM

Re: Typical...

I didn't see it...But, I gotta feeling, if Cher ever fell on her a$$ all that silicone would give her whip-lash. when she bounced.

christian_gates 12-15-2004 06:06 AM

Re: Harley Hair-Extensions

Oh my god...I have a good friend that is in danger of parodying himself with a Harley purchase. Mid-30s. Highly successful. First bike choice: Fat Boy.

He knows I'm into bikes a bit, and called me up talking about how excited he was about the parts catalog. It was a challenge to avoid bursting into laughter. I pointed out that putting leather and fringe on the tank was retarded...wow. It's a whole different, and mostly incomprehensible, world.

Needless to say, all of his gear is Harley-branded, from brain-bucket to boots.

cdg

jungkvist 12-15-2004 06:15 AM

Damn, good idea.

Hey! That's a good idea! Beats the hell outa sticking a head on a pike. Boy, that thing's messy!

My ex-wife got really Pi$$ed at me, when I told her that I wanted to hang a bunny on a cross, for Easter. No sense of humor...Shiesh!

seruzawa 12-15-2004 06:21 AM

Re: Harley Hair-Extensions

Could be worse. He could be driving a minivan.

Encourage the guy. Many of these guys pass though the HD phase and discover the joys of owning different types of bikes.

Abe_Froman 12-15-2004 06:31 AM

Re: Untrained Riders account for overwhelming majority of fatalities.

This particular statistic is one of those ones that is possible to read incorrectly. It's certainly not meaningless, and certainly the longer one has ridden bikes the more likely one is to have taken the MSF course at some point, for insurance purposes, if nothing else----but lack of MSF training is no direct indicator of lack of experience. I've never taken the course but now I'm turning sub-2:00 laps at BIR and can probably handle a bike better than the majority of MSF instructors. For someone like me, I think it would be unrealistic to assert that I would be a vastly better or safer rider if I took the course at this point. I don't know what the course entails but I can assure everyone that any admonition or advice to act in accordance with traffic laws in any respect will be ignored anyway. LOL

jungkvist 12-15-2004 06:31 AM

Buggs Bunny. to Elmer Fudd

(Buggs Bunny, to Elmer Fudd) "Just lay still, Mack! Polar Bears won't attack, if they think yer dead."