Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 12-13-2004, 05:55 AM   #51
imported_g_k
Registered Member

Default Re: Unobtainium European?

I'm with this guy - I'm not the target market for this thing; I'm happy with my monster S4R and Husky SM450R, but pictures in the latest UK mags make it look kind of cool. A lot of people like the big air-cooled V-twin look, and it really seems like something different than a cruiser. If I was going to buy an air-cooled pushrod motor, I'd probably choose one made by Yamaha over an H-D (remember, they include the gearbox). One problem I see is that it's not really designed to carry a passenger in a way that the passenger would want to do it again - I have to admit that if my primary motivation was to have a bike that provides a relatively comfortable (and safe) passenger seat I'd look at a Harley.
imported_g_k is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-13-2004, 06:00 AM   #52
pdad13
Founding Member

My ZRX ain't the lightest puppy around, either. But it does feel pretty light when you get it rolling over 3 mph. Stable as hell on the highway and in the wind (especially with fresh tires). I'm not too worried about some extra weight if it's in the right places.
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 06:05 AM   #53
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: Isn't this the bike that only has 80HP at the back tire?

Real men watch Jonny Quest.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 06:11 AM   #54
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: Just a guess here, but....

That's a pretty tight spread, only 1k rpm 'twixt peak torque and peak horsepower. With a double shot like that the grin factor on that bike must be through the roof.

I think we'd find that the 110 footie-pounds at 3750 more than adequatly compensated for the "only" 90 HP 1000 later.
Old 12-13-2004, 06:18 AM   #55
seruzawa
The Toad

Yeah. Like Halle Berry!
Old 12-13-2004, 06:32 AM   #56
sarnali
Founding Member

The only advantage this one has over the Buell is the 110lb/ft of torque. The XB12 shows 90 HP and 72 lb/ft torque at the rear wheel on MO's dyno, the 90hp/110lbft is a manufacerers claimed number not an independantly proven number. Given a conservative estimate of geartrain loss and ad copy fudge factor, powerwise the two are close.

Then factor in the 150lb weight differance and the handling and suspension prowess of the Buell and it's a pretty close horse race IMO

....Aaaand consider the fact that any competant rider can go to the nearest Buell dealer and flog the dog-knockers out of an XB12 and Yamaha, with typical Japanese reticence won't even import them here, it's lookin' like another slam dunker for the home team.
Old 12-13-2004, 06:32 AM   #57
SRMark
Founding Member

What an ass pain website. The bike will probably be just as much of an ass pain to order when it comes to the US. Yamaha, who used to be my favorite bike manufacturer, has their collective head up their ass, hence the ass pain I guess. I hope this thing is easier to get than the sport tourer.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 06:58 AM   #58
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: I seem to have gone mad....

In my first post I noted how this sounded like a fun bike....Then In comparison to the Buell I pointed out the Buell as being superior. I've become kpile-ized..argueing both sides of the issue...

I did however go to the bike show in Seattle yesterday, so I'm still in a moto-induced daze, I guess that explains it.

My faves were the Thruxton, the Buell XB12 Lightning and the Speedy 3, with a nod to the MV Brutale`(cool bike, buzz.) Also the Ducati 999 and MultiStrada. I don't know why everyone thinks they're pooches. I think they look pretty neat.

Good to see the VMax still around, but I was surprised at the MSRP. They must have paid off the tooling on Mr. Max about 15 years ago.

The way the show was laid out, the Kawasaki and Yamaha stands were close together so we climbed off the VMax, then checked out the Zrex, talk about an '80's flashback. Still both cool bikes though.
Old 12-13-2004, 07:16 AM   #59
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: I seem to have gone mad....

Both sides of the issue? You should run for office!

We never have bike shows in Salt Lake so I have to ride to the various dealers to check out the bikes. A real hardship.

The "best" bike is the bike that fits the needs of the purchaser. It makes no sense to say a CBR600 is superior to a Harley Servicar. Which one would be superior for making short urban delivery runs in heavy traffic? A Servicar would do the job for years while the CBR600 would probably seize.

I don't think that there's a "bad" motorcycle being built today. Except maybe the Ural.
Old 12-13-2004, 07:18 AM   #60
Betamax
Founding Member

Default Re: i bet the MT-01

blah blah blah
Betamax is offline   Reply With Quote