Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Misc News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/misc-news/)
-   -   Unobtainium European? (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/misc-news/2604-unobtainium-european.html)

pdad13 12-13-2004 05:12 AM

Re: Unobtainium European?

Which Buell, Buzz?

Buzz_Waloch 12-13-2004 05:18 AM

AFLAC!

Neither could I.

Islandcomm 12-13-2004 05:26 AM

Stop whining. The point here is that "boat anchor technology" in a 21st century motorcycle is unacceptable whether it's a Harley, a Yamaha, a Honda, a Ducati, or a Suzuki (a friend won't let a friend ride a Kwakasucki). MOrons hate them all boat anchors equally.

Islandcomm 12-13-2004 05:29 AM

What the hell is THIS crap! I write a message and a Harley ad link is automatically placed in it? WTF is going on here? Not enough revenue from our subscriptions?

Buzz_Waloch 12-13-2004 05:30 AM

You'll just have to wait for the upcoming comparo to find out!

pdad13 12-13-2004 05:35 AM

Although the MT-01 replaced the V-Max in Europe, it's not the next V-Max, even according to Yamaha. Very different characteristics altogether.

I love to see as many different types of bikes as possible (although I would say that this is a variation of the Buell concept), so I would welcome the MT-01 here.

You may not like the way it looks, but Yamaha gets points in my book for doing something a little different. If they had gotten a bit closer to the original MT-01 concept bike, it might be a cooler. But it's still different, and according to a few pics I've seen, looks kind of nasty-good with a rider on it.

It seems kind of heavy and expensive (especially if you opt for one of the hop-up packages) but until you ride one, it's kind of hard to dismiss the bike.

With the stage three package this thing makes over 100 (claimed) hp and all that torque. I don't know, sounds kind of fun to me.

seruzawa 12-13-2004 05:36 AM

Avco-Lycoming would be really interested in your opinion on how obsolete air-cooled engines are.

My air-cooled bikes are much more pleasant in urban summer riding than the water-cooled variety. No blast furnace from the fan. Nothing like sitting in 100 degree weather with that damn fan blowing air on my legs. So much for "superiority".

seruzawa 12-13-2004 05:41 AM

Forget it Buzz. Unless your engine gets 1.6 hp per 100cc you bike is worthless. Who cares that such power is ridiculous overkill? Who cares how unpleasant the damned thing is as you bake in the summer sun with the fan broiling you legs? Oh, wait. You aren't supposed to idle the things in traffic because the radiators are too marginal and can't cool a stationary bike.

But they are superior all right.

Solipsism. Pure solipsism.

seruzawa 12-13-2004 05:49 AM

Ever ride the western desert Interstates? Ever encounter the Wasatch Front canyon winds? Sometimes a 500+ lb wet weight is a good thing.

My 600lb GSX1100G is so much more stable in winds than my lighter bikes like the Magna or the KZ750 were. We're not always white-knuckling around Mt Wilson, you know. I never get blown into another lane any more with the heavier bike. Something to consider when purchasing a bike is what you will actually use it for.

pdad13 12-13-2004 05:49 AM

God, you suck.

(Yeah, I remember that Sean mentioned an upcoming comparo that included a Buell after I posted. And then I remembered that you mentioned you just came back from participating in a comparo. That's when I remembered that you suck.)