Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 12-13-2004, 03:38 AM   #31
YellowDuck
Founding Member

Default Re: Unobtainium European?

Anyone else notice that they had to ditch that funky side-mounted rear suspension setup? Looked cool, but I guess it turned out to be unworkable.

YellowDuck is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-13-2004, 03:40 AM   #32
anrajala
Founding Member

Tsk tsk. This is no Buell. In a dyno XB12R has 65 lbft or below at anything less than 4k RPM. MT-01 has advertized 110lbft at 3750. In a dyno that´ll be less, but still something from another planet. Bigger planet.

-cruiz-euro
anrajala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 03:49 AM   #33
Buzz_Waloch
Founding Member

I'd like to know where the "shoddy build quality" comment comes from as well. I just spent two days torturing a Buell and didn't notice any build quality problems. The bike is tight and corners like it's on rails.

Maybe the pushrod Yamaha motor has 4 valve heads. Now that's technology!
I sincerely apologize for my antics her at MO. It is readily apparent that the majority of MO readers do not appreciate my megalomaniac WWF MO persona. Like the husband that is the last to know his wife is having an affair, I did not understand the detrim
Buzz_Waloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 03:52 AM   #34
Buzz_Waloch
Founding Member

Bigger planet as in 100 lbs heavier than the Buell.
I sincerely apologize for my antics her at MO. It is readily apparent that the majority of MO readers do not appreciate my megalomaniac WWF MO persona. Like the husband that is the last to know his wife is having an affair, I did not understand the detrim
Old 12-13-2004, 03:57 AM   #35
Buzz_Waloch
Founding Member

Default Re: Harley should have built the Vrod

I think we're going to have air-cooled motors with us for quite some time. Personally, I have a fondness for them.

Someday I'm going to have an air-cooled Duc motor in the garage.
Old 12-13-2004, 03:58 AM   #36
Buzz_Waloch
Founding Member

Too many fat moto-journalists were getting their flabby thighs caught in the spring.

That's a real product liability issue you know.
Old 12-13-2004, 04:05 AM   #37
ccd3
Founding Member

Default Oil Light

Maybe this helps- maybe not: I have a Yamaha 600 Seca II. My oil light always comes on when the bike is on the side stand. Checked a bulletin board and found this is universal to my bike- it uses a il level sensor" rather than an oil pressure sensor. The solution given was to add a 1/4 cup more oil than the manual calls for. I realize an FZ-1 and a Seca II are very different animals- but maybe the use the same type of sensor mechanism? Who knows...
ccd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 04:09 AM   #38
christian_gates
Founding Member

I'm highly critical of using air-cooled motors in racing when water-cooled technology has demonstrable specific output advantages for engines without a forced induction system of some kind.

However, there is obviously a place for air-cooled motors for numerous applications outside of closed-course, displacement-limited racing, including street performance bikes like the Buells, cruisers, off-road bikes where a punctured radiator is a real issue etc. etc. The weight and simplicity of an air-cooled motor and their robust constructin have significant, real-world advantages.

Harley gets criticized because it has a thoughtlessly dogmatic approach to design and engineering, with their true focus on marketing; the criticism that follows is a corollary of this.

cdg
christian_gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 04:09 AM   #39
pdad13
Founding Member

Default Re: Harley should have built the Vrod

That Duc motor will probably be more useful in a bike.

(Sorry, couldn't resist)
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 04:12 AM   #40
sconley
Founding Member

...I thought MO already did a full article on this when the bike was released? Something more interesting to get in the states would be Yamaha's MT-03... Still a concept but the European's will probably enjoy it one day soon. See:

http://ymedc.introweb.nl/en/archive/street/mt03.shtml
sconley is offline   Reply With Quote