Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 12-12-2004, 10:58 AM   #21
eekadog
Founding Member

Default Re: i bet the MT-01

they didn't have the computer management systems back then....sure they could have made them bigger and heavier, look at a boss hoss...obviously there have been big and heavy car engines making 160 hp for years....i would have liked to see someone come out with a 1000cc naturally aspirated engine 20 years ago that made 160 hp reliably.
eekadog is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-12-2004, 04:22 PM   #22
tomk2
Founding Member

Default Re: Harley should have built the Vrod

Nope, not an issue.

Right now Harley is shipping air cooled bikes that meet Euro 2 and CARB 2004... without needing catalytic converters.
tomk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004, 05:29 PM   #23
Dixit
Registered Member

Default Re: Isn't this the bike that only has 80HP at the back tire?

The spec sheet reads 90HP @4750 rpm and 110 ftlb @3750 rpm. That will be interesting.
Dixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 01:28 AM   #24
jungkvist
Founding Member

Default Re: Unobtainium European?

With 110lbs of torque I wouldnÂ’t be surprised to see one of these show-up after calling AAA for a tow, and I donÂ’t think the flashing, yellow lights would make it look much goofier. ItÂ’s hard to figure out what niche this thingÂ’s gonna fill, at 600+lbs wet (on any set of scales, other than YamahaÂ’s) and looking likeÂ…I give up! However, since the Duckbilled Platypus has been around for millions of years, this mutation could be successful (possibly, in a remote region of Australia).

I CanÂ’t say that I wouldnÂ’t like to take one for a spin, but IÂ’d probably do it wearing a full-face helmet, and under an assumed name. While it certainly looks better than a V-Max, thatÂ’s not saying much.

To be honest, IÂ’d be willing to bet that God would have a hard time explaining what this thing does, that a FZ-1 doesnÂ’t do better. I mean, other than look likeÂ…Sorry! Still drawing a blankÂ…

Old 12-13-2004, 02:39 AM   #25
Mooner
Founding Member

I believe that "everticking" may be in reference to the valve ticking that some people have been experiencing. I really don'e know much about it, although I'm willing to bet if you visit an FJR board, you'd likely get an inside scoop.
Mooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 02:54 AM   #26
seruzawa
The Toad

What modern technology Yamaha has going here! An air-cooled, longstroke, pushrod engine.

It's great to see all the Harley/Buell haters join in to put this bike down too!

Oh, wait. Boat anchor technology is only unacceptable when the bike in question is a Harley. Never mind.

Hypocrites.
Old 12-13-2004, 02:56 AM   #27
seruzawa
The Toad

Yeah. Yamaha sure has done the job here. After all, Buell uses an air-cooled, long stroke, pushrod engine! Yamaha, however, has.... hey wait a second!
Old 12-13-2004, 03:04 AM   #28
paul_from_Minnesota
Registered Member

Isn't still amazing that even after 20 years, the Vmax still can kick most bikes butts?

If Yamaha wants something new in the stable, why not something better? You can find faster in many catagories, but maybe they are looking for soul. I think anyone who actually likes their v-twin knows what I am talking about. An FJR may be a tick faster than my Vmax, but the rides are worlds apart. My Max has fire-breathing "soul".

It handles better than I can, so what is the problem?

I just hope Yamaha is giving alternatives. If all we needed was the fastest racer, would they only make R1's?

paul from Minnesota
Old 12-13-2004, 03:14 AM   #29
FZZZZZZZZZ1
Founding Member

Everyone's doing it (Ducati website quote: "Full Throttle Holiday Season! Start your shopping here!") and Yamaha actually may be a little behind the game in comparison to some of the others. For a variety of reasons motorcycles convey a sense of authenticity and adventure and the bike manufacturers have learned that cashing in on this is another way to pad the bottom line...esp since t-shirts, coffee mugs and boxer shorts require far less capital investment and probably carry a much higher profit margin than motorcycles themselves....
FZZZZZZZZZ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 03:24 AM   #30
HelterSkelter
Founding Member

I think the crowd condemning the MT-01 and Buell do so because each year the bikes aren't 2 grams lighter and make 1/2 hp more than the previous year.

I defy anyone to tell me how anything with over 100rwhp is useful for street riding and in fact where you can enjoy 120+ hp bikes?
HelterSkelter is offline   Reply With Quote