Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 12-11-2004, 04:13 PM   #11
schizuki
Founding Member

Default Re: Unobtainium European?

So, have you noticed something about the bikes MO has written about lately? They all have gasoline-powered engines.

That's right. Just as I, kpud, The Great Motorcycle Prophet predicted, steam has fallen by the wayside in favor of internal-combustion gasoline engines for motorcycles.

Fall down and worship me.

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-11-2004, 07:39 PM   #12
RonXX
Founding Member

In the U.S., the tremendous success of 'big twins' is mainly due to H-D. I'd bet that 99% of those people would never trade their bikes in for this or any Yamaha.

Does this bike appeal to sport riders? No, of course not. Just listen to the sound clip of it accelerating. You have to short shift like you are riding a John Deere. Even Yamaha's specs say the dry weight is 240 Kg! So you have 90 crankshaft HP pushing a bike that should weigh about 570 lbs. wet. Nice, you should be able to keep up with a coffee-can Honda Civic just fine.

I'll admit that I like the design of the bike. It looks great. However, it would never sell big so it will not come to the U.S.
RonXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 11:34 PM   #13
eekadog
Founding Member

have you seen honda's vtx program?
eekadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004, 05:01 AM   #14
jungkvist
Founding Member

Default Re: Isn't this the bike that only has 80HP at the back tire?

It's all about torque, my boy...Torque!!!

Mind spitting...Eye ball bustin'...Goddamn,wish I hadn't ate lunch, torque! Or, at least, that's what I'd assume...Since it ain't likely I'll get my hands on one anytime soon, and I'm just sittin' here, engaging in Cyber-Cycle-Sex, like the rest of the guys.

Hey, how 'bout that; I don't know Sh!t! Shore does look nasty, though, don't it?

Guess I should'a had a point to make, before I stated typing...Silly, me!

Wonder if Buggs Bunny's on Cartoon Network. Better go check...

Old 12-12-2004, 05:22 AM   #15
jungkvist
Founding Member

I have climbed to the top of this high-place, to worship at your feet...O' great-one.

Could you, Now, please, to tell me, how you came to invent the square-wheel, and the horse-drawn jock strap?

Many mysteries, for you, Yet, to unfold for us all.

Please, to reply by telepathy; since, one - as unworthy as myself - does not wish you to soil your hands, by communicating, on such a devilish, device as this.

Yours - prostrating, all the way,

Sha-ba-dabba-ding-dong...

Calcutta, India
Old 12-12-2004, 05:31 AM   #16
kwh
Founding Member

Default Re: i bet the MT-01

They could have built them, but they would have weighed rather more than they do now (both the engine and the rest) and the noodle-frames and suspension of the time would have made them lethal to the operators and anybody downrange. Most of the bikes of the time would have twisted themselves into a granny knot if you'd tried to feed 160bhp to their back wheel. Even the GP gods with their one-off custom-made prototype racebikes were fighting to keep a 'mere' 130bhp going where it was pointed. And the tyres... well, anybody here want to try 160bhp through a set of Avon Roadrunners?

Actually, the VMax is a perfect illustration of this. Far too much power for the chassis!
Old 12-12-2004, 05:40 AM   #17
kwh
Founding Member

To me it has 'Buell without the shonky build quality, the ditch-pump engine or the shocking reliability' written all over it. It doesn't have the technological extremes of the Buell (Cutting Edge chassis, industrial archaeology in the cogbox and engine, ) but it looks very trick all the same, which gives it an in to the 'poser' segment of the Buell market. I don't know whether the 'rider' segment of the Buell market will find the MT01 an acceptable alternative ride from a go/stop/cornering perspective, but it will surely ace the Buell in all other technical respects.

I wonder whether the Yamaha aftermarket will also be able to release lots of extra horses?

Old 12-12-2004, 05:50 AM   #18
anrajala
Founding Member

Default Re: We Agree? Yikes!

I agree the King of the Beast thingie, scandalously it still beats most, for example V-Rod. However, the new bike and its torque thing is a totally different game.

- cruiz-euro
anrajala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004, 06:34 AM   #19
maladg
Registered Member

Pretty cool. I keep hearing that it doesn't have the HP we hotly desire....but dang! Ain't it about time we had some bikes with a different look? I mean - how many minor variations on the theme can we stand? 57 HD models differentiated mostly by chrome and color variations, VTX's that one needs a brochure to sort out, Yammie cruisers and all just sort of look exactly alike, only a little different...gee.

Come on, bike mfgs. How bouts some stylin...sans the "Robbsters" take on style - or lack thereof.

Here is to hoping I'm in full cry inarticulate form today!

Of course if Yamaha does bring it in, they can always to the customer friendly ordering scheme that they do with the "everticking" FJR13!
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004, 08:29 AM   #20
RonXX
Founding Member

Everticking? What do you mean?

I wonder if anyone has had problems with some of the new Yamahas. I have a 2002 FZ1 and sometimes the low oil light comes on in various conditions. The oil is not low, nor are there any symptoms aside from the light. So I am pretty much used to never paying attention to the light. That is not a good thing really.
RonXX is offline   Reply With Quote