Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 11-19-2004, 02:16 PM   #11
PoppySTS
Founding Member

Default Re: Buying a ''gray market'' bike

details on gsxr400
PoppySTS is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-19-2004, 03:31 PM   #12
oleland
Registered Member

I imported a KLR 650 Kawasaki from Canada 2 years ago ,and I would do it again under the right circumstances.Just do your homework and find out from your local dmv.and your border crossing the exact procedure and paper work you will need.I spent about 15min. at the border,and had my bike licensed the next day.You will not have a warranty ,however I always do my own work,and my local Kawasaki dealer is a joke. My local Suzuki dealer who has been in business for many years is very helpful and has many sources for grey market bike parts and he has helped many people get parts for imported bikes.
Old 11-19-2004, 06:44 PM   #13
pplassm
Founding Member

In 1995 I sent a Yamaha RZV500R home from Europe. I took it apart and mailed it home to my brother through through the APO mail system. I then used one of the title services to get it titled. I didn't have any problems with inmsurance.
Old 11-21-2004, 12:30 PM   #14
jkofsky
Founding Member

I have an '00 748r that was originally imported as a racing/track only bike and was upgraded by the original dealer (lights!) and sold as a street bike. It came with clean Ohio title, but because of it's history, the VIN number comes up blank on the d-base. For this reason, the NY title came back listing the year and make correctly, but "N/A" under model. Not a big deal as long as I'm riding it. But I imagine that it's bound to raise an eyebrow if/when I resell it and I have no idea how I can get NYS to correct the title.
jkofsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 03:40 PM   #15
Redfury
Founding Member

I brought one in from Australia. Without realizing it, I was the importer. The US customs guy really cornered me and I got the 3rd degree. Only thing missing was the bright light in my face. Made a point of telling me that I was the importer and that if they found drugs or anything illegal in the bike, I would be arrested and charged with a crime. My biggest crime was not being aware that I was supposed to call a day or two before so they could inspect it at their leisure. I put them out by just showing up, and they went out of their way to be very particular. They made me go to the bonded warehouse with them while they took it apart. They looked in about every opening or possible hiding place. Had a dog sniff it. When they finished, they told me I could take it. I asked if they were going to put it back together, and they said no. I borrowed a few tools from the warehouse and put part of it back together. Then I had the load the biggest part (frame and motor) with a fork lift. I put the rest of the parts in my truck and took it all home to re-assemble.
Redfury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 12:47 PM   #16
ewok1
Founding Member

if you can, send me private mail
ewok1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 12:48 PM   #17
ewok1
Founding Member

I basically agree. However, subject to the newness of the bike and the way the customs agents interperet the regs things can change. i did that, thought i had it in the bag and then ran in to problems.
ewok1 is offline   Reply With Quote