Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 11-08-2004, 08:19 AM   #1
5valvethumper
Founding Member

Default Re: Motorvation Frame Sliders for Honda VTR1000F

The pic link's broke.

BTW, 1st post!
5valvethumper is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-08-2004, 08:19 AM   #2
chingbaby
Registered Member

Link for the pic should be www.xanga.com/chingbaby

Ride safe, all....
chingbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 08:25 AM   #3
Nplateau
Founding Member

it's fixed now
Nplateau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 08:28 AM   #4
chingbaby
Registered Member

Thanks!
Old 11-08-2004, 08:40 AM   #5
sconley
Founding Member

Default I'm not defending them, but just a few thoughts...

All frame sliders on bike's with a full fairing require that a hole be cut through the fairing, it's that "no two objects can occupy the same space" rule... Most all frame sliders (even high quality ones; Cycle Cat, etc.) do use the engine mount bolt (it's the most ridgid part of any frame)... Only the bike manufacturer (Honda in this case) can control how close the engine mount bolt is to the fairing bracket, not an aftermarket company. As for hardened vs. unhardened bolts there are volumes of engineering data regarding life-cycle fatigue and impact failures, exceeding elastic yields, etc... To greatly generalize, hardness = brittleness... The harder the steel is, the more brittle it becomes and more prone to breaking (breaking may actually be a benefit in a design such as this and be intentional)... The Titanic wouldn't have sunk when it hit that iceberg if it didn't have so much carbon in it's chemistry (high carbon = high hardness {again, generally speaking})... Again, I'm not defending the maker of these frame sliders as they do sound marginal from what you described, but I'd be interested in seeing your design for a frame slider system, that doesn't use the engine mounts (strongest location), and doesn't extend pass the fairing (what you are trying to protect)... It would be an interesting design to say the least.
sconley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 08:48 AM   #6
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Default He's Correct.

Bingo!
Old 11-08-2004, 08:57 AM   #7
chingbaby
Registered Member

Default Re: I'm not defending them, but just a few thoughts...

You make good points. The VTR does not have a full fairing, but the fairing does indeed cover the engine mount point. There is another mounting point a bit further back, but it would mean drilling a hole in your knee, unless you have really long legs. Probably not the most ideal situation.

The biggest problem with the location of the engine mount bolt is that it is right where the fairing tapers to a thin point, so drilling at that point removes a much larger portion of the available fairing. Not having the bike next to me, I'm not sure if there is another mounting point further forward.

However, a bad design does not become great because it is not easy to come up with a better solution. This is probably why many of the better known brands simply do not provide sliders for this model.
Old 11-08-2004, 09:20 AM   #8
sconley
Founding Member

Default Re: I'm not defending them, but just a few thoughts...

I agree, a bad design does not become great because it is not easy to come up with a better solution... But I think a lot of what made this a bad design (not all), is bad marketing... They should have been more upfront with you about the reality of installing their frame sliders on this model bike.
sconley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 09:34 AM   #9
coberholtzer
Founding Member

I installed a set of Moko sliders on my ZZR1200 after comments from folks on the www.zzr1200.net site. I have yet to drop the bike, God willing, but based on comments from those that have, at slower speeds they seem to function, particularly the parking lot tip-overs. Every bike has different problems related to mounting, but these bolt on nicely with out any cutting of the body work. Plus, they look expensive (which they were!) and seem to compliment the bike rather than detract. This is the site I purchased them from: http://www.whaccessories.com
coberholtzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 09:37 AM   #10
coberholtzer
Founding Member

I installed a set of Moko sliders on my ZZR1200 after comments from folks on the www.zzr1200.net site. I have yet to drop the bike, God willing, but based on comments from those that have, at slower speeds they seem to function, particularly the parking lot tip-overs. Every bike has different problems related to mounting, but these bolt on nicely with out any cutting of the body work. Plus, they look expensive (which they were!) and seem to compliment the bike rather than detract. This is the site I purchased them from: http://www.whaccessories.com Forgot to add: they have some products for the VTR, but I would call the site owner and talk to him about it. He was very helpful when I spoke with him.
coberholtzer is offline   Reply With Quote