Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 11-08-2004, 02:23 PM   #21
SuperBill
Founding Member

Default Re: Motorvation Frame Sliders for Honda VTR1000F

By the way, chingbaby, I got a Sargent seat for my SuperHawk. Fast delivery, first class fit and finish, and oh-so nice on the fanny. A perfect complement to the Gen-Mar risers.
SuperBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-08-2004, 02:25 PM   #22
Chango
Founding Member

Yes, you'll save a few grams with carbon fiber, IF you replace the original bits with carbon fiber. Most folks (here in central AR, at least) just put a CF cover-type thingy on their bikes, and sometimes just CF stickers, increasing the weight! Maybe I'm just bitter and cynical...

Chango.
Old 11-08-2004, 02:49 PM   #23
Slaphappy
Founding Member

Default Frame sliders that don't mount on the engine mount bolts are useless

Frame sliders that don't mount on engine mount bolts are useless. No, they're worse than useless. They can actually damage your fairings more than if you had no frame sliders. Avoid sliders that mount on brackets or non-engine mount bolts.

Ummm, I know first hand

RE: cutting fairings. It's no big deal. A hole saw is readily available/cheap. Just drill a guide hole using a drill bit, then use the hole for a hole saw rig on your cordless drill. Heck, even a dremel will work. You won't notice the hole in your fairings -- the slider fills it up.
Old 11-08-2004, 04:21 PM   #24
ofreen
Registered Member

Default Re: Frame Sliders

Yup, and I can attest to the fact they work great on my 90 CBR. Over the years the bike has been on one side or another 5 times, and damage has been limited to scratches on the cover pieces. It is a crime all faired bikes don't have something similar. Gravity will always win eventually.
ofreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 04:39 PM   #25
dylanmo
Founding Member

Default Re: However....

KP is right - that steel was the same as every other ship of that era. There was a Civil Engineering professor on one of my exam committees who specialized in fracture of iron/steel, and who got some work analyzing bits of the Titanic after it was found. Before everything got started, one of the other professors asked, "so, why did the Titanic sink?" He replied, "Well, the steel was crappy, but no one seems to realize that all the steel from back then was terrible. Personally, I think I think it sunk because of a navigation error. But hey, I'll do fatigue tests at $200/hour all day long if everyone's still complaining about the crap steel!"
dylanmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 04:53 PM   #26
tengnp
Founding Member

Default Re: Frame sliders that don't mount on the engine mount bolts are useless

I liket o give my cents on a hands on test on this sliders. I installed a set of these Motovation (you call it motoRvation - its probably the same) frame sliders on my previous VFR800 which crashed on the track. The knob took a fair share of the impact. On examination, the mounting bolt has bent about 15 degress, the knob has ground off about 6mm to 12 mm in a splayed angle.

These sliders are not meant to protect at the speed I was going ( I reckon 90kmh at the turn). However, I came away deciding that these knobs did their job pretty well in reducing the damage to the fairing. I ended up only needing to patch up some cracks in the fairings. No fairing replacement was needed.

I am now on another VFR - with the same sliders installed - through a hole drilled into the fairing. I guess that hole in the fairing is worth it.
tengnp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 05:38 PM   #27
t1n0m3n
Founding Member

I never have these problems. I don't buy a bike with a fairing.

;P
t1n0m3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 06:08 PM   #28
Nplateau
Founding Member

WoW! $200/hr? How do I train to be a part of that profession?
Nplateau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 06:17 PM   #29
nbyers
Registered Member

Default Those CBRs

90 CBR is a great bike. Especially in red/white/blue (the fast color).
nbyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 06:20 PM   #30
dylanmo
Founding Member

Get a PhD in engineering then work for ten more after that. It's just consulting work tho, there's nowhere near 40 hrs a week of that coming in. I'd probably charge only $100 - cheap!
dylanmo is offline   Reply With Quote