Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 11-04-2004, 04:49 AM   #11
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: Podcast : put this in your ear on those long rides!

The cool thing about a Wing is you can take off the backrest, leave the heater off if you don't need it, and not turn on the radio if you don't want to listen to it. I can assure you that all those things are nice to have on an 800 or 1000 mile day in nasty weather. When I was going to college a few years back, I rode the Wing to class instead of my Ninja. The 20 somethings couldn't understand why I rode an "old man's bike". I told em it's because I'm an old man! LOL

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-04-2004, 05:14 AM   #12
tumbler
Founding Member

I enjoy all of those things and more in my truck with my motorcycle secured in the bed. Then when I get to deals gap this spring I can ride without the extra bulk of all of those turned off distractions. To each his own I guess.
tumbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 06:33 AM   #13
Tigercub
Founding Member

I used to record NPR in the morning while getting ready to go to work then put the tape into a tape machine with earphones and listen to it during the hour or so ride to work. The problem is that I couldn't listen to it and ride safe at the same time. It was distracting. There is something about the sound going directly into your ear and blocking out all other sound. When people first started using cell phones in their cars I remember how difficult it was trying to listen to that tape through earphones.
Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 08:09 AM   #14
Nplateau
Founding Member

Why don't you just ride to Deal's Gap?
Nplateau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 08:51 AM   #15
tumbler
Founding Member

Droning along on the highway sucks, taking backroads wastes too much time, Can't carry much on a sportbike. Why not ride in a vehicle and talk with friends as we head down?
Old 11-04-2004, 10:24 AM   #16
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Canada

You guys need any help moving?
Old 11-04-2004, 10:40 AM   #17
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

With a Wing you can ride down, talk to em at the same time with a communicator, ride the gap (I did numerous times) and then ride home. Sounds like more fun than trailering. Since I never trailered anything, I wouldn't know though.
Old 11-04-2004, 11:59 AM   #18
tumbler
Founding Member

One of the guys I might be going down with has a Goldwing. He has been riding since he was a little kid and has had bikes that would leave mine for dead, but he can't come close to staying with me when I am only push at 50%. You should try trailering, you stay much dryer, carry a lot more stuff, and save money. As in after rebates my new f-150 cost less than a decked out goldwing. I've tried the I a real motorcyclist road trip thing when I went from 50 miles south of houston to dallas. I was cold, wet, and made lousy time from stopping to get feeling back in my hands and knees. And that's only a few hundred miles. I had a much better time with my bike riding around Joe Pool Lake and up in the hills there when I loaded in the back of my truck, road for fun, loaded it back up and came home. Same thing when I went camping in big bend, could have carried nearly enough gear for that trip on my bike.
Old 11-04-2004, 12:17 PM   #19
sarnali
Founding Member

Whatever flips your switch, I rode 850 miles from the Cali border to Washington in the pouring-ass rain on an FLHP

I thought it was fun.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 12:29 PM   #20
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Sorry, I like the real motorcyclist thing. Can't think of a worse way to see the country than inside a car. How fast I went never had any bearing on how much fun I had, except the scenery just went by faster. I guess I just love to ride, not just ride to.