Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 10-14-2004, 02:22 PM   #62
sportriderjed
Founding Member

Default Re: Motorcycle Risk Study by Insurance Company

These insurance companies bring some of this on themselves: I lowsided my CBR954RR last month. I was in the hills at 45mph riding with my Dad on his Hardly. I rounded a blind corner and hit a large patch of new loose asphalt that covered my entire lane. I slowed alot but as soon as the front hit that crap I low sided. The bike slid on the left side and hit the curb like mound of asphalt and flipped over to the other side launching me down a very steep hill into trees, where I tumbled ass over tea kettle all the way down the damn hill. The bike slid on the right for 5 feet or so and hit a little dirt berm on the edge of the hill and stopped (thank God!). I went down because the road crew did not mark the hazard...no loose gravel sign or construction sign. Had my Dad been first, he would have gone down. He got stopped sooner because he saw me hard on the brakes, but could not see why I was stopping. He still nearly went down as he navigated the slippery asphalt with that skinny 21 inch front wheel. I have ridden dirt bikes and street bikes for 23 years including racing MX...sometimes there is just nothing you can do except hope for a soft landing.

I was not hurt (likely because I was wearing proper gear) so I climb back up this huge damn hill and pick up my bike. Scratches, but runs fine and tracks strait on the road. I rode for another 150 miles with out a problem. All cosmetic damage.

I take it to the local stealer the next day and the tell me $2500 or so to fix it, depending on how many little scratches I can live with. I was actually gonna pay myself, but for $2500 I thought I would have the insurance do it. The insurance requires everything to be fixed so the bike is like new. I mean there is this absolutely miniscule scratch on the tank that would easily buff out and they wanted to replace the tank. Not a scratch on the frame. With all the required stuff for the insurance the total cast came to $5800. Well the bike was an 02 so they figure it is only worth $7900 and it will be a total loss. I BEGGED them not to total it but they persisted, saying I could buy it back as a salvage, but then they would not insure it. They said cheaper for them to total it for the following reason:

Fix it $5800 cost to them.

Total it $7900 to me, but sell for salvage for $3000 leaving net cost to them at $4900.

They would not compromise, but did not hold me at fault for the accident so my rates did not go up (still about 600 a year). I could have gotten it fixed for cheaper by not fixing some of the things they were totally unwilling to talk about; such as not replace the tank ($863) and not replace the exhaust (minor scratches, cost $1294). I would have been happy to replace a lot of stuff with aftermarket stuff but they wouldn't do that either, saying it was a safety issue. It just seems silly to total a perfectly functioning bike when it could be fixed for $2500.

I bought a SV1000S last week on them.
sportriderjed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 03:14 PM   #63
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

I rode a 600 last week, which is probably more recently than you've have ridden one, and I don't even own a 600. I ride more street miles in a week (500) than a poser like you rides in a month. Call me when you've ridden a cruiser farther than around the block and have ridden a streetbike outside your home county and back and we'll discuss motorcycles. Until then go jerk off in the corner to your latest Cycle World and leave the real, informed discussion of motorcycles to the mature adults.

It'd also be pretty damn hard for me to last ride a 600 since when Reagan was president since I only rode on the dirt back then.
Old 10-14-2004, 03:56 PM   #64
dylanmo
Founding Member

Default Re: In other news. Vienamese witness says Swift boat Vets are liars. Kerry truthful

A Viennese witness? Perhaps someone Kerry met at Swiss polishing school?

You can trust a Viennan. I've always said that.
dylanmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 04:23 PM   #65
sarnali
Founding Member

Read the ***** post K, if you're poking around in town, out of the powerband on your 600 and you have to accelerate out of trouble you'd have a faster pick-up on a bike in the middle of it's torque curve than a bike that needed 7 or 8k RPM to start making power, Two things...

A) you have limited experiance, so your opinion isn't really valid, and..

B)You seem to have a limited grasp of English, so your opinion isn't valid..

sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 05:17 PM   #66
ruister
Founding Member

Hey,

It seems like it takes many years of riding experience to really appreciate the small displacement lightweight bikes. All the kids that I meet who want motorcycles only want large displacement bikes. Heck it took me at least 10 years of riding to realize that small bikes are tons o'fun. In the US it is hard to even get to ride a relatively new small displacement bike (500cc or less) there just aren't many options (is there?).
ruister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 05:58 PM   #67
F451
Founding Member

Default Re: Don't worry be Unhappy

Crap...you run out of Armor All?
F451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 06:08 PM   #68
F451
Founding Member

I just got off the floor from weeing my pants at your post Sarnali....too funny. I have to admit the 1800 Gold Wings have a helluva engine in them and do haul-ass. I like a good cruiser when it's not package bought and "cruiser correct."
F451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 06:09 PM   #69
dylanmo
Founding Member

If only he were at funny, all would be forgiven. Captain K-Y, peebad, longnazi, ha ha. Hilarious.
dylanmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 06:29 PM   #70
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: In other news. Vienamese witness says Swift boat Vets are liars. Kerry truthful

It is interesting to note that ABC is interviewing these people who support Kerry yet have never interviewed any of the Swift Boat Vets. They'll send a TV crew to 'nam but won't invite vets into their own studios for free.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote