Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 10-14-2004, 09:17 AM   #41
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: Motorcycle Risk Study by Insurance Company

They put electronic speed limiters on cars, I think we'll see them on bikes before long. Like you say, I'd have more fun with 150ft/bs of torque @1000 rpm than 150hp@8000rpm.

"Can you say 0- 60 in 1.3 seconds"? (I knew you could)
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-14-2004, 09:31 AM   #42
mile_eater
Founding Member

collective 'you' longride... not singular. I apologize for the confusion.
Old 10-14-2004, 09:33 AM   #43
mile_eater
Founding Member

"That argument wouldn't apply to those stalwart and doughty he-men who ride liter class sportbikes like the venerable CBR1000F."

To tell a family secret... I've got a hardon for a vtx1300...
Old 10-14-2004, 09:35 AM   #44
cavebat
Registered Member

Yep, you're right on here. Back in the late 80's, insurance on 16 valve VW Golfs was much higher than on 8 valvers, even though the real-world performance difference was quite small (and the 8 valve had more midrange and was more fun to drive, IMnsHO)... The 2-door was also more expensive than the 4-door.

It's just a simple matter of what the population of squids decides to buy. I bet if suddenly the hot bike in squid-dom was, say, an SV650, claims would skyrocket on SV's as the flip-flop and tank top crowd started to find themselves floating belly-up in the shallow end of the gene pool. Not everybody is overendowed with either common sense, enough imagination to see what could happen to them, or the motor skills to stay out of trouble. The bikes that this subset of the population chooses will see a disproportionate number of crashes; it's nothing to do with the bike itself.

cavebat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 09:38 AM   #45
mile_eater
Founding Member

I just don't believe that when given two competent riders, a cruiser can run stop light to stop light with a new 636. They rev to fast.

Plus, I've seen the modifications that S&S sells to make your cruiser smoke 600s.... it takes a lot.

I've seen 600's blow my buddy's vtx1800 away.
Old 10-14-2004, 10:48 AM   #46
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

I'd believe you if I hadn't been hearing that argument every year for the last 15 years.
Old 10-14-2004, 10:50 AM   #47
acecycleins
Founding Member

Manitoba got it right. It's not pretty. I stated this in past forums and will state it again. The insurance industry is just about fed up with the horsepower war. Fact is, most motorcyclist do not show the maturity it takes to operate these machines. Those that do account for less than 20% of the market-place. If 80% of those that buy the bikes cannot opertate them with competence then what are the insurers supposed to do? The fact that sportbikes are the leader in the loss catagory doesn't make it easier for the rest of the riding public. Other bike catagories are effected, as well. We all suffer for the incompetence of the inexperienced. Reality is that we must start considering a graduated licensing system as they do in other countries. If we do this the insurance industry will take notice and the premiums will at the very least begin to level out.
Old 10-14-2004, 10:50 AM   #48
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

You're not understanding what I'm saying. I'm not saying that with a drag race style launch from a dead stop they'll be even. I'm saying that from a typical cruising speed in town, in a roll-on, the cruiser will be faster.
Old 10-14-2004, 11:07 AM   #49
squidly51
Founding Member

Quote>>

If you have 10 years riding sportbikes, your unlikely to start spontaneously crashing next year - but, if your experience is limited to sportbikes, and you begin riding a cruiser, the answer is likely different (although less different than if you have 0 years riding).

<<EndQuote

What a great observation. I had the opportunity to hop off my Triumph Trophy and onto a Road King. Two thing happened:

First, as I pulled away, I went immediately into my sporting crouch. Except the darn floorboards are forward. I was desparate trying to find the brake pedal.... Second, more than once following my ducati riding buddy. I had to concenrate extra hard to get through a fast sweeper. Repeating the mantra. "Look at the exit not the tree."

I suppose going from one of those big chunks of iron to a Hayabusa would have its challenges too. Lets see, I'll just whack the throttle open exiting this turn....

squidly51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 11:23 AM   #50
mile_eater
Founding Member

you're splitting some hairs then... Riding season's about over... if I get out again (WV SUCKS) I'll see if we can try some roll-ons between the VTX and I dunno... f4?