Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 10-15-2004, 10:03 AM   #111
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: For those that can't read

I'll answer the third post because it didn't make any more sense than the first two. Guess what stupid? Many insurance companies won't insure sport bikes any more and the number is growing every day. There are NO insurance companies that won't cover a cruiser. Sounds like your side is losing. Your examples that you "quoted" from the study say NOTHING of cruisers. There are more types of bikes than a cruiser. But since you supposedly have 23 years of riding experience, which is bullshyt, you would know that wouldn't you? Now, I not only quoted some pieces of the study, but quoted the summary. Are you smart enough to know what a summary is? Good. Lets read the f&cking summary again:

[b]In summary, sport bikes can be considered the highest risk vehicle on the road:

- sport bikes can be very difficult to control

- sport bikes are attractive to less experienced riders

- sport bikes tend to be more frequently used in higher risk situations

While sport bike rates are generally 28% higher than motorcycle rates overall, based

on claims experience they should be as much as 89% higher.[b]

There, I bold faced it in case you can't see again. Can someone as stupid as you wrap your mind around that? That is the summary, the conclusion, the end game. Now I want you to quote in that study where cruisers are dangerous, and that drunks on cruisers are causing all the accidents. If you can't do that then it's time for you to shut the f&ck up, right? As for the Motorcyclist article, they do not quote any source for anything, as I have it right here. They mention briefly the Hurt report of 1981, but unfortunately for you and your stupid argument, they just made the rest up as they went along, kind of like you are doing now. Maybe if you could actually comprehend what you read, I wouldn't need to write this, but morons like you just keep digging a little deeper a little longer. So far your batting zero honey bunch. Try not to get so nrevous next time and only post your stupidity once.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-15-2004, 10:08 AM   #112
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default The funniest part!

KPaul, the resident genius, doesn't know the difference between a urologist and a proctologist. Yeah, he sure is a superior mind! I just hope he figures out which is which before his next visit!
Old 10-15-2004, 10:47 AM   #113
draffety
Registered Member

Default Re: Motorcycle Risk Study by Insurance Company

I guess that depends on your definition of "town." On the roads I commute on - speed limits are anywhere from 45 to 70 mph. So yes - I would guess that I am usually between 4K and 7K rpm.

My point was that on a sportbike, you are hardly ever at 2500 rpm - you'd be lugging the engine at those kind of revs. The comparison of those two different bikes at 2500 rpm was unrealistic.

draffety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 10:57 AM   #114
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Default Re: Not quite. Avoiding dangerous situations for Dummies and out of touch Utah resid

You must not realize that your bike slows down more than twice as fast as it accelerates. When someone merges into your lane the worst thing you can do is speed up. All that will do is cause you to accelerate into them, since if they are merging into your lane, they are already occupying the space directly in front of you.

Do you even ride on the street? Speeding up when someone is following you too closely will accomplish nothing. All they will do is speed up an equal amount. Unquestionably, the best thing to do when being tailgated is to move out of the way. They teach that in basic Driver's Ed to 15-year-olds, which is why I'm mystified that you don't know this.
Old 10-15-2004, 10:59 AM   #115
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

You are correct there, I believe. They really started getting popular in the early 90's. I believe the Supersport class started in the late 1980's, after Reagan was out of office.
Old 10-15-2004, 11:00 AM   #116
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Yes, I would agree there. However, most of the people I've ridden with cruise at around 4K in town, mostly due to the noise levels emitted by their aftermarket exhaust at rpm's higher than that. Maybe they are just all weird, I don't know.
Old 10-15-2004, 11:20 AM   #117
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Not quite. Avoiding dangerous situations for Dummies and out of touch Utah resid

I have no idea what The Illiterate Idiot(tm) posted to me (I seldom read the responses) but I can guess.

Whatever it is it's just more of the same from an idiot with two years experience who thinks he can lecture someone with 40.

Just like he tries to lecture me about gunboats and Vietnam. Or his typical sophomoric political crap. Or, heck, just about any subject. The less he knows the more he asserts how right he is.

What a maroon.
Old 10-15-2004, 11:23 AM   #118
Haird
Founding Member

Perhaps another reason sport bike claims are higher than for standards and tourers is sport bikes have more-fragile body work. A guy at a BMW dealer told me that insurance rates are much higher on the K1200RS than on the K1200LT not so much because the RS is more powerful, but that it is much more likely to suffer expensive damage in a very minor incident. He told me he has seen people do $2,000 worth of damage to the body work dropping the bike in the garage. By contrast, the LT has bumpers on the side that protect it when dropped at low- or no-speed. Ditto the cylinder heads (sometimes with add-on bumper, but even without) on the R series bikes. Disclaimer: I can't vouch that any of this is true, it's just what I've been told. However, I have had my R1100R down twice, once doing a couple 360s on its cylinder head bumper before I got to the cut-off switch, with no damage to the bike at all beyond scuffs on the cylinder bumper, and a shattered hard bag when I was struck by a car. In both cases I picked the bike up and rode on. In both cases I'm certain there would have been several hundred to possibly thousands of dollars in damage had I been riding a sport bike with full body work and no bumpers to protect it.
Haird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 11:30 AM   #119
seruzawa
The Toad

Look, you have to take into account the long history some people have here with Kook and his pointless insulting diatribes. It becomes more an exercise in baiting a demented bull than actually making a realistic argument.

All the arguing over these things is pointless anyhow because:

1) Modern motorcycles have quite adequate acceleration and braking for real world situations. No bike is particularly "safer" than the next.

2) A good experienced rider will be able to ride reasonably safely no matter what he rides.

3) An idiot is going to get bashed up no matter what he rides.

I liken motorcycles to airplanes in many ways. And as Chuck Yeager liked to say, the person with the most hours in the ****pit wins.

Experience is more important than machine.
Old 10-15-2004, 11:36 AM   #120
Haird
Founding Member

Default Re: The funniest part!

Let me guess. A proctologist uses a larger-diameter endoscope?
Haird is offline   Reply With Quote