Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Misc News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/misc-news/)
-   -   New breed of bikers rides into danger zone (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/misc-news/2522-new-breed-bikers-rides-into-danger-zone.html)

sportbike_pilot 09-21-2004 12:42 PM

Re: New breed of bikers rides into danger zone

Darwinism in action?

mscuddy 09-21-2004 01:08 PM

When I was a kid, I rode like an idiot, wheelies, burn-outs, doughnuts on lawns, up stairs, through buildings, etc.

The only reason I survived, was because I was riding a Jawa 90.

Any parent who allows their inexperienced teenager to buy a 150 mph bike, or buys one for them, ought to be charged with gross neglegence.

It would be akin to teaching your kid how to shoot with an M-60, or SAW.

ofreen 09-21-2004 02:03 PM

"We're still riding like idiots," Thompson said. "I know that, but I just get a high from it."

According to the story, Sumler was 39 and Storino was 35. As the quote above illustrates, the story has nothing to do with youth or inexperience, but about idiocy. There will be those, including some within the ranks of motorcyclists, that will maintain sportbikes are to blame and must be restricted. However, there are plenty of idiots splattering themselves on cruisers. It has nothing to do with the type of bike.

kowalke67 09-21-2004 02:42 PM

Many of my conversations around the office the past two or three weeks have been about the rash of motorcycle deaths on our three main interstates. I also have witnessed more stunts in the past few weeks than I typically see on the roads. I don't know what it is that has caused the increase in all this in the past few weeks. Maybe it's the end of the riding season is approaching and the squid are getting out as much squidliness as they can before it's over. September is the last good month- for the squids anyway. After that they will actually have put on shoes and socks and wear long pants to deal with the cold.

I personally would not be upset if a bike could not be sold with more than 110 bhp, which is plenty for the streets. I say 110 because that seems to be a number where good riders say it has enough to thrill you but they still wouldn't mind a little more (very scientific I know). Riders who are average or worse would still have more power than they know what to do with. I would still want bikes produced like the current sport 1000's but available for the racetrack only, no street legal models. I know there are a million counter arguments to the latter statement but the bottom line is that there is not a sport bike produced today making between 80 and 110 bhp that doesn't exceed the riding skills of 90% of the street motorcycle riding population. And those are scientifically proven and backed numbers...okay, that's a lie and I'm totally speculating but I'm ready for the backlash. At 110 bhp limit riders could concentrate on handling and learning how to ride instead of worrying how the new zzrcbrgsxyzf1000cc has more hp then their bike and how they are going to fix that horrible embarrassment. No more d**k measuring contests at the burger barns and corner gas stations because we can all go buy the same size d**k (for the record though, mine is bigger).

I will also speculate that the riders described in the article probably died in a part of the power band well below the 150 bhp output. What really killed these guys was a lack of skill, stupidity, and recklessness that could easily have been achieved on a bike making 80, 90, or 100 bhp.

dylanmo 09-21-2004 03:51 PM

KP drank a beer

And now is feeling saucy. I'm looking for something more caustic than "Idiotic Troll" on the moderate button, like maybe "Banninate Farking Go-tard Forever"

MrCrashHappy 09-21-2004 04:06 PM

Sensational stories sell newspapers, but there isn't any inherent value.

This article isn't about the vast majority of motorcyclists and there's no basis for taking it seriously in that regard. I especially loved the non sequitur about full-faced helmets. Safety and fast riding go hand-in-hand. This article deals with another subject altogether -- alleged speed feaks who happen to use bikes to satisfy their urges. The nitwits who write this junk wll just as happily report on urban drag racing deaths, gang shootings, airline crashes, and teenage prenancy. There's no percentage in reporting on the humdrum activities that keep the wheels of civilization from falling off. Reacting to it is specious emotionalism.

kjam68 09-21-2004 04:18 PM

M-60's don't kill people. People kill people. By the way, a lot of "kids" are wielding SAW's in Iraq right now. That being said, I would never let my underage teenager ride a street bike. Dirt is fine until they reach the age of consent.