Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 08-30-2004, 03:42 PM   #131
johnnyb
Founding Member

Default Re: snap crackle pop

well, you'll all have the satisfaction of knowing I shuffled off this mortal coil doing what i love. Staring danger in the face, sucking massive lungfulls of tar and nicotine down the ol windpipe in spite of the dangers pointed out by the Nazi safetycrats who would ban all that is dangerous and manly. What ever happend to The Highwayman anyway?
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-30-2004, 04:26 PM   #132
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: Lets drink to those who ...

Count me in as stupid, because I pulled most of the stunts you mentioned at one time or another. I didn't bite it hard enough to die, but I'm sure many did pulling the same stuff. C'mon Sarnali, you can admit to doing many a crazy stunt in your day. We all did. Some live to tell about it, and some don't. Being a firefighter and motorcyclist, I have seen my life flash before my eyes quite a few times, and I figure I used up quite a bit of my luck. Maybe we both survived in spite of ouselves. The point is, we are all "stupid" in our own way. One man's meat is another man's poison. I wouldn't call anyone stupid for doing what they love. It's one of the few reasons for living at all.
Old 08-30-2004, 04:55 PM   #133
FZZZZZZZZZ1
Founding Member

Default Re: helmets

Well said ewok1...
FZZZZZZZZZ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 05:01 PM   #134
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Default Re: It's a Testosterone thing.

Somebody should tell Kook that testosterone will cause his clitoris to swell. VWW

BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 05:04 PM   #135
Holy_Kaw
Registered Member

Default Re: Indian Larry Killed in Helmetless Stunt

Don't we all only take risks that seem basically reasonable (survivable) to us (unless suicidal or under Government duress)?" If not for that common instinct wouldn't we be extinct? "Hey Joe, let's go slap that Bear on it's face"! Some Ride, some never would. What is reasonable to one person may not be to another. Who's right and who gets to decide what risks we're allowed to take? Riding on the Street I feel safest on a High Performance Motorcycle (wearing a full face helmet and full protective gear), a current litre Sportbike being the pinacle of safety in my eyes even just putting around. Of course if safety is the only consideration I would think a fully loaded Class A dump truck would be tough to beat. I rarely ride other than a High Performance bike with a full face helmet but value the fact that I can if I want to, and sometimes do, in FL. I don't consider trying to limit anothers choice based on my preferences. My condolences to Indian Larry's Family and Friends, he would have been interesting to know.
Holy_Kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 05:05 PM   #136
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Default Re: snap crackle pop

He traded in the Hog for a Vespa and got a full face helmet. VWW
Old 08-30-2004, 05:12 PM   #137
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Of course not getting on the highway at all is the safest choice. Ideally only we, and no one else should decide which risks are acceptable for ourselves. VWW
Old 08-30-2004, 05:19 PM   #138
GogglesPaisano
Founding Member

Default Re: Indian Larry dead

It amazes me that even when it's someone like Indian Larry who never wore protective gear and did this stuff for 30+ years, people still talk about "if he had worn the proper gear"...

He _never_ wore protective gear. It's a moot point. It's like watching a deer get shot by a hunter and saying "well, if that deer had a shotgun it would have stood a chance". Deer don't have opposable thumbs, they don't carry guns.

The man believed that when your number was up that was it, so he lived the way he wanted to, including riding helmetless, shirtless, laying down with his feet on the handlebars... His card got pulled and he's moved on, and I think turning it into a debate about protective gear is pointless. He'd never wear it, end of discussion.

-=Goggles=-

GogglesPaisano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 05:20 PM   #139
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: Lets drink to those who ...

Well yeah, when I was young and foolish I ate speed like popcorn then smoked weed to settle down then went out bar hoppin' with my bros on choppers packin' heat, no helmets, no coats, hell no shirts if it was hot night.

That was then, this is now. I don't know if I survived because I was lucky or what but I did. Now I know better and I'm not afraid to tell someone if they're f***n' up. living that life will get you dead.

You know that, well as I do. That whole old bikers vs. bold bikers. Larry punched his own ticket. Too bad I'm sure he left people who loved him.

I save my sympathy for guys like Randy Scott.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 05:30 PM   #140
dylanmo
Founding Member

Please someone outlaw reckless pirahna-sitting
dylanmo is offline   Reply With Quote