Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 08-25-2004, 06:04 AM   #1
bbtowns
Founding Member

Default Re: Stunt motorcyclists blamed in serious accident

Well I have to say that doing that kind of stunt crap on busy highways isn't doing anything for motorcycling. While the article reports them riding recklessly, it was a lane change that caused the accident. While there's no excuse for a reckless lane change, how many of us are nearly killed by cars and SUVs on a daily basis, with no mention in the papers. How many are actually killed without an article on reckless automobile driving?

I also notice that there's no condemnation of an SUV with 8 passengerse with only one wearing a seat belt. That's a law in all 50 states I believe. Just my $.02

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-25-2004, 06:05 AM   #2
giuliom
Registered Member

OK, another "motorcyclists are Satan" story. I particularly liked the comments of Judy Stone about motorcyclists going "80. 90, even 100 miles an hour." In LA, when freeways are clear, grannys on Buicks go 90 mph....

I agree extreme motorcyling in traffic is nuts, but then they show their agenda, which is really to limit motorcycling (or possibly eliminating it... much safer around when all you need to worry is a 4-ton SUV slamming into your car...

giuliom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 06:10 AM   #3
teapotdome
Registered Member

This will no doubt lead to a lot of "one bad apple..." posts. And the riders who pull this kind of crap on public roads are (appropriately) usually the victims of two-wheeled Darwinism.

Having said that, what makes this story remarkable is that it was motorcyclists who were the catalyst for this tragedy. If it had been another Land-Roving cellphone user drifting into that Ford Explorer, it would barely have made the 11:00 news.

Even more telling, though, is the fact that only one person in the Suburban was wearing a seat belt. All motor vehicle operators and their passengers should prepare for the worst and hope for the best. Bikers do that every day. I'll bet that everyone in that Suburban will buckle up from now on.

Yes, this kind of hooliganism is wrong and reflects poorly on our sport. But so is the sensationalizing of these stories simply to incite anger and derision toward motorcycling in general.

teapotdome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 07:02 AM   #4
pdad13
Founding Member

Ugh. I don't know who to be mad at. On one hand (or with one hand), I'd like to strangle every stupid squid who is too dense to figure out, or just doesn't care, that he/she makes life tougher for all of us. I'd like to advocate the liberal Darwinism, but every time one of those knuckleheads goes down, we all get lumped in.

On the other hand, I'd like to take it to the media for their typically distorted, sensationalist reporting. (No one reports every single accident that is caused by a careless or wreckless driver that injures someone--I would bet my life that there are far more of those than accidents caused by motorcyclists.)

Since I'm out of hands, I'd like to plant my boot firmly in the ass of Judy Stone, a freakin' lobbyist for the insurance industry (where's her bread buttered?). Hey, Judy, you jerk, take a ride on the Long Island Expressway. The going rate, when there isn't stop-and-go traffic, is 80-90mph. You go too much slower than that, and you're taking your life in your hands.

And while you're at it, sweetie, could you track down the fine, young gentleman in his nice, safe Navigator who quite litrerally threatened to kill me and make it look like an accident because I was simply in front of him in bumper to bumper traffic last Friday? Maybe you could make the world a little safer, then.
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 07:05 AM   #5
pdad13
Founding Member

Um, I meant "...the liberal application of Darwinism..."
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 07:42 AM   #6
seruzawa
The Toad

I'm surprised you didn't pull out your .357, shoot his mirror off, and then ask, "What did you say?"
Old 08-25-2004, 07:46 AM   #7
wilro09
Registered Member

I know we don't need the bad press but in the story Judy Stone says motorcyclists were "going so fast, weaving in and out of traffic. It was so outrageous. They had to be going 80, 90, 100 miles per hour." How often do people in cars do that crap as well and you don't hear about it. Here in Dallas 80-100 on the freeways is not a big deal for cars. But nobody is blasting them as a safety hazard. Police here are too scared to pull them over because some other bozo in a car is liable to kill the police officer. EVERYBODY needs to slow down and obey the law.
wilro09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 08:27 AM   #8
sarnali
Founding Member

This is just another hatchet job from the insurance industry and their butt-boys in the press. A Suburban got run off the road? tough s**t. How many people in cars and bikes get injured and killed because of SUV's?

Here's a thought, buy a car that handles avoidance manuvers without flipping off into the ditch, Ejected from the vehicale? why weren't they cited for violating the national seatbelt law. Why wasn't this insurance ***** aghast that law-abiding safety minded motorists weren't wearing seatbelts?

Stuff like this pisses me off, Janklov and these other faggots can runover and into motorcyclists left and right with nary a peep, but let motorcyclists exhibit stupid behavior or worse, actually CAUSE AN SUV TO HAVE TO SWERVE AND POSSIBLY WRECK and the sky is falling.

f*****n' assholes
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 08:35 AM   #9
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Now that you're a member of the GPTB

That guy in the Navigator won't be heard from again.

Believe it.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 09:13 AM   #10
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Sarnali, you ok? Hardest rant I've seen from you! Keep up the good work!