Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 08-25-2004, 04:43 PM   #41
ZXDavid
Founding Member

Default Re: Stunt motorcyclists blamed in serious accident

Check this out

http://www.safecarguide.com/exp/stat...statistics.htm
ZXDavid is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-25-2004, 06:16 PM   #42
pplassm
Founding Member

Yes. What he said.

Pictures:

http://www.ofoto.com/I.jsp?c=nqzxld7...&x=0&y=-prsk9i

http://www.ofoto.com/I.jsp?c=nqzxld7...&x=1&y=-7ajs52

Old 08-25-2004, 07:37 PM   #43
ebass
Founding Member

Did the laws of physics change while I was sleeping?

Exactly how the f*ck does a motorcycle run an SUV off the road? Were these menacing stunters weilding broadswords and maces? I'm having a hard time with the actual chain of events here.

ebass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 08:00 PM   #44
Holy_Kaw
Registered Member

Aren't those things in their element "off-road" anyway?
Holy_Kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 09:45 PM   #45
bluesman_ip
Founding Member

Well, one more prove that I have all rights to hate press. Except motorcycling press of course

Look, those horrible people in newsagencies they did it back in 1947 about quite small incident in Hollister used to create "devil image" in dumb heads of newspaper beleivers.

In UK press did it back in 1964 with mods and rockers that had a fight in Brighton- this even reflected in sociology history by term "moral panic". Interestingly enough - much bigger fight between those guys happened in Klackton, but - newspappers bloodhounds was not there, so scandal went unnoticed.

Now - perfect new target - too fast sportbikers.

Nobody interested in truth. And let's be honest - that's cornerstone of newspapers/news business in US: making flashy news from anything. Watch CNN then switch to BBC - you already will fill difference. Switch to Reuters - and you will be bored...

Hate this...really.
bluesman_ip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 12:27 AM   #46
Pacer
Founding Member

I agree except for one thing. There were 8 poeple in the Surban. In other words this is one of the few instance where the use of such a large vehicle is warrented.
Pacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 01:09 AM   #47
mile_eater
Founding Member

It's pretty simple really. The bike swerves in front of the SUV, the woman talking on the cell phone panics when she sees the bike and jerks the wheel. Chaos ensues.
Old 08-26-2004, 02:58 AM   #48
nokneedragin
Founding Member

Thanks for the photos. Hope all goes well.
nokneedragin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 03:16 AM   #49
christian_gates
Founding Member

Default Re: What KPaulian Logic!

You've completely ignored every relevant fact in the situation described in that article. I'll largely ignore your irrelevancy about speed limits not being elastic. They absolutely are enforced arbitrarily, with the only general guarantee being that when quota review time comes near, that enforcement become marginally more rigorous, and that regardless of speed limit a speed DELTA is what's important - and a speed delta of 5 or 10 MPH is the equivalent of a slow or brisk jog.

The facts demonstrate that an inexperienced, and obviously poorly trained, driver reacted irrationally to a situation and caused an enormous amount of harm to another vehicle and some people in it. Just freaking out and ramming another car is an inappropriate response under any circumstances. There are many road hazards that could cause surprise or distraction, and being unprepared to deal with them does not in any way shift the blame for a wreck in any logical fashion to the agent of such surprise, whether my scantily-clad woman, a motorcyclist showing off, a trained monkey playing an instrument or what have you.

My broader point, which you entirely ignored, was that the emphasis on passive safety in the automotive world, driven by well-meaning but misguided lobbying interests, has created an environment where this type of accident is almost assured. If it hadn't been a crazy guy doing a wheelie on a bike, it would have been something else, eventually.

cdg
christian_gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 03:20 AM   #50
sanchin
Registered Member

Seat belts are not the law in all states (here in NH for example). As you note, the lane change is the issue here and I personally encountered a near-crash just yesterday by a minivan passing on the right and then cutting across three lanes of traffic without signalling or even looking.
sanchin is offline   Reply With Quote