Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Misc News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/misc-news/)
-   -   Stunt motorcyclists blamed in serious accident (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/misc-news/2498-stunt-motorcyclists-blamed-serious-accident.html)

christian_gates 08-25-2004 09:28 AM

Re: Stunt motorcyclists blamed in serious accident

That article was sensationalist trash. Motorcycles are easy to demonize, though, because they fall outside the norms of society. They reject entirely the notion of the government-enforced illusion of safety (mandatory airbags in cars, ABS etc.) that has been popularized in the past fifteen years or so. Beyond that, they are among the ultimate expressions of personal responsibility and consequence, another set of ideas that is virtually anathema at least to vehicular issues.

Motorcycle safety is almost completely defined by rider-controlled variables, and ones that proximal to the experience of riding. Driver safety, however, is almost universally defined as a set of features on a vehicle, distancing driver performance from the equation.

In fact, the article highlights that point in two ways: demonizing motorcyclists, and then blaming the social outlier for the outrageously bad driving and judgement of TWO people behind the wheel of large, socially accetable SUVs.

When I read that article, I was horrified by the idea of someone apparently randomly swerving into another lane, colliding with a vehicle and then knocking it off of the road. Basically, a driver panicked, acted inappropriately and then a second driver, filled with irresponsible passengers so mis-trained in the hazards of the road that they elected to not wear seatbelts, didn't have the training or skill to recover from the collision.

cdg

pdad13 08-25-2004 09:40 AM

Think you're confusing me with pplasm, there Sean. Although sometimes during my commute it seems like I am in Iraq.

pdad13 08-25-2004 09:42 AM

Re: Now that you're a member of the GPTB

Oh, joy.

Should I wear my new leather fringed riding pants and matching arm chaps?

ErricZ 08-25-2004 09:49 AM

Fun fun, more media sensationalism takes over for common sense. F this Judy Stone lady and the lobbying industry she works for. I've been posting about this too much today and it just apes what most of us are saying here: SUVs are a bigger problem than motorcycles anyday.

They crush cars and bikes a like. When will we see our first Blinged-out Semi-Trailer? Some of them get much better gas mileage than the Gas Suckers probably do.

They should have been cited for not wearing seatbelts. Maybe for not being in control of an uncontrollable vehicle? This whole thing is just going to tarnish the motorcycle and do nothing to the ever-growing SUV problem.

Maybe the guys in the bikes were driving at "crazy speeds" -- speeds I'm *sure* Ms. Stone has *NEVER* travelled at. I mean, 80MPH is almost take-off speed for a Cessna 172!!!! *eyeroll*

Kevin_Williams 08-25-2004 09:55 AM

To all the trailer trash thrill seeker squids out there.....

Stop it with the stunter street bike thing. Your stunts are getting more boring and limited everyday. Those bikes aren't really built for it anyway unless all you like to do are variations on the wheelie/stoppie/burnout maneuver. That's hardly what I call freestyle. Get a dirtbike or supermoto and have fun in a field somewhere. It's amazing what a little air and maneuverability will do for stuntability.

Stop it with the B.S. line "We'll be cool as long as we run it like a business." Nobody's buying (that has money) so stop trying to sell. It's not a market boom waiting to happen it's one that's been around for awhile and there are a few good people out there doing a great job at amazing us. I'll watch them and they'll get my ticket money.

Having trouble getting sponsors or suppliers to give you parts to trash on the weekends? There's a dynamic here; stupid/not-stupid. Not-stupid is not wanting to have your business name assiciated with something thought of by many as.... stupid.

Stay off the street with that crap. If you want to be flamboyant.... go join a broadway musical.

I heard a stunter dude on a video doc the other day say "Just think of what we'll be doing five years from now." My answer to him is... beating your head against the wall, trying to come up with the first new streetbike stunt in the last five years.

imported_g_k 08-25-2004 09:58 AM

I agree that it would be nice if drivers in general were more skilled, and since I always wear a seat belt when I drive I find it harder to sympathize with people who don't, the fact remains that lots of people are crummy drivers and lots of people don't wear seat belts. To accuse the people who were hurt after their driver was freaked out by bikers misses the point, I think. Whether he/she should have been or not, the driver was unnerved enough to swerve; a lot of people are startled by fast sport bikes (or cars) and act in sometimes dangerous ways. Given the fact that that sort of response isn't unusual, maybe it's just a good idea to ride in ways that don't cause that reaction, rather than saying the passengers deserved to get hurt 'cause they weren't belted in, or their driver wasn't skilled enough. As for the posters that described high average speeds on some freeways, apparently this wasn't the case here, as the driver was startled. And if the "stunt" was being filmed, I find it pretty hard to justify the squids' behavior.

One more thing - what are the newspapers supposed to do? They're in business to sell papers, and I think the article was probably more exciting than a description of the average car to car incident. Does that make the editor a pawn of the insurance industry?

sarnali 08-25-2004 10:12 AM

stupid s**t like this pisses me off to no end. f****n hypocrites

sarnali 08-25-2004 10:13 AM

good one.

christian_gates 08-25-2004 10:18 AM

The point is, the swerve SOUNDS unnecessary - and operatin a 4,000+ pound (or, in the case of the Suburban, 6,000+ pound) vehicle puts you in charge of a lot of momentum. This article goes out of the way to make a sensational point about people doing something out of the ordinary, and probably unsafe and irresponsible to boot - but it ignores the fact that the drivers' responses, however regrettable the consequences, were inept and in fact more to blame than the bikers making abrupt movements in traffic.

Society generally has attempted to remove a lot of the physicality from daily life, when in fact, life is largely a physical experience. The blame for this incident lies almost exclusively with the driver of the Explorer, and, to a lesser extent, the driver and passengers in the Suburban.

The motorcyclists share a miniscule portion for their irresponsiblity, of course - but only a miniscule portion. In the first place, an alert drvier wouldn't have been surprised - the difference in velocities could not have been that great. Second, a skilled driver would have recognized the most appropriate maneuver (which might have been no maneuver at all) to avoid a crash.

This incident is EXACTLY analogous to a man swerving off the road because he is suddenly distracted by a woman in a short skirt. I've almost done this (hey, what can I say?), and I guarantee if I had caused a wreck I know where the blame would lie - squarel on my shoulders.

I am not attempting to trivialize a traumatic event. What I am attempting to point out is that the party at fault has been mis-identified, and the fault in fact occured due to a series of factors, including this sensational story, that are embedded in the discourse of automotive safety.

I'll avoid all the SUV issues, which are manifold (and some of which are disguised).

cdg

Buzglyd 08-25-2004 10:53 AM

Re: Now that you're a member of the GPTB

You can sit next to that guy at the bar in Hogs and Heifers with the blue fingernails and the miniMag flashlight shoved through his earlobe.