Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 08-20-2004, 08:07 AM   #1
roja_dude
Founding Member

Default Re: New Fine Structure for Blue Ridge Parkway

This seems fair enough, although I'm always scared of giving LE officers too much discretion. I've taken the BRP many times by cage, motorcycle, and bicycle, and it certainly is not a racetrack. I've generally had positive experiences with the rangers, who seem less interested in generating revenue and more interested in the more important duties. I've had them wave or flash lights to slow down, but I've never been pulled over. The BRP is best enjoyed at a leisurely pace. The other small roads nearby, however, are wickedly fun (and generally safe to enjoy). I'm thinking of Cherohala Skyway, the Dragon (Deal's Gap), and almost all of the roads within 50 miles of there, as well as the various country roads running up and down the Blue Ridge mountains.
roja_dude is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-20-2004, 08:32 AM   #2
pushrod
Founding Member

Hopefully it'll slow down the pinheads driving the Subies/Mitsus/Hondas, etc. who don't appreciate their limitations.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 08:44 AM   #3
nbyers
Registered Member

Default Proper Motivation

"Visitors come from all

over the country for nice leisurely rides, not to watch the races."

Well, Jeez, that's the problem right there, isn't it?

Y'know in Germany they have the Nurburgring, which is essentially a public racetrack. I say we do the same thing with the Blue Ridge. Just turn it over to the speed-addled pistonheads of the country. It's about time!

nbyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 09:10 AM   #6
nokneedragin
Founding Member

I hate to see the Oficers givin this much discresionary power unchecked, a flat rate seems more fair. The attitude factor in tickets usually means that if a cop didn't get laid the night before, you are f*cked.

That being said I don't object to calming the BRP down. It is one of the most scenic roads to travel. Although I have riden it at a very agressive rate on a time or two, and it is a fun ride both ways.

Wait, strike that, the BRP is congested, boring, loaded with RVs, SUVs, Treehuggers, and rangers with radar at every turn. Stay away it s#cks as a ride.
nokneedragin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 09:35 AM   #7
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Proper Motivation

Good idea. I say we turn Kalifornia Highway 2 over to the racers also.
Old 08-20-2004, 09:37 AM   #8
seruzawa
The Toad

Yeah. Everybody should stay away from the mountain roads of Utah and Idaho too. They all suck real hard. Don't come here.
Old 08-20-2004, 09:51 AM   #9
nokneedragin
Founding Member

Say that again, I'll never forget how boring it was to ride through Idaho. God I had to fight off sleep the whole way.

Now you squidly types that want a great ride, just go to N and S dakota. Once you are off the highway, just pick a road. Man the scenery is great, and the roads are the most challenging in the whole country. Makes Deals Gap look like a straight line.
nokneedragin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 09:59 AM   #10
mile_eater
Founding Member

Default This is BS!

First of all... It's not the "tail of the Dragon" you dorks, that's just the shop name. It's just: The Dragon.

Second: No way a freakin' Cop should have that much authority.

What they need to do is close the Dragon to through traffic. There is at least one trucking company that routes its rigs through there on purpose. Imagine this... 318 curves in 11 miles... That's exactly where your big rigs need to be! Fools!

What they need to do is make it a little motorcycle paradise. Make it one way, and build a little one way service road that completes the loop back to the other side. That way you could ride the Dragon, then ride the service road back to the top. The accidents that happen there are almost all related to some idiot pushing his cage to hard, or a semi taking turns that are to sharp for them.