Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 08-12-2004, 04:08 PM   #11
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Default Re: Okay, so I can't spell for crap...

The closure of so many riding areas it truely a sad thing to witness. With litigation driving out the private parks, the state gov here in Kalifornia funneling our green tag money into the general fund to support the boondoggle du jour, and the rapid growth in our states population from (ahem) the south I am at a loss on the proper course of action to save what's left. Any suggestions kowalke? VWW
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-12-2004, 06:43 PM   #14
pplassm
Founding Member

Default Re: End of an era for motocross

What's with you two guys? It's news to me.

I posted some amusing stuff and it seems to float to the top.

And what's with the political diatribe? You guys need some meds.

Old 08-12-2004, 06:57 PM   #15
flying_hun
Founding Member

Default Re: End of an era for motocross - I agree

I agree - 500's on more or less natural terrain tracks were the real deal (codger alert!). Yes, I know the 250's of today have as much or more power than the 500's of old. That's not really the point. The point is that the bikes were as fast and as vicious as the factories knew how to make them (e.g. 501 Maico), and they were a spectacle to see in action.

flying_hun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 08:05 PM   #16
pplassm
Founding Member

Default Re: Okay, so I can't spell for crap...

I made a prediction 10 years ago that I wouldn't be dirt riding in 15.

Riding area shrinkage is taking place all over the country. I know of no way to stop it.

Exacerbating the situation is the poor press geberated by riders with loud pipes and quads. I beblieve that quads were unleased on this country as retaliation for atomic bombs in WWII. The damage they have done to the trail network is unsurpassed.

Old 08-13-2004, 04:38 AM   #17
maladg
Registered Member

Litigation - gag me! I'm in the Loss Control Mgmt end of the commercial ins business. You would be amazed at how much time, effort and consideration goes into avoiding (or at least minimizing) liability - the adults among us would not be at all suprised.

Leftists COULD help out by supporting liability damage caps and opposing excessive influence of Trial Lawyers...but NOOOO, the trial lawyers will work againt those "evil" corporations. Lefty gents, the spanking you so richly deserve will come to us all. Thanks for nothing for not supporting ANY tort reform. May every time you turn on a TV, may the ONLY thing you ever see again be John Stossel specials and various FOX stuff. May you be annoyed into infinity!

On the topic for a change: Carlsbads closing was news to me to. Not all of us live on the Left coast....

I've got some ab fab pics of DeCoster in his prime I took at a Road Atlanta 'Cross back in the 70's.

Another piece of the past evaporates....
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 05:03 AM   #18
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

McGreevey finally came clean. Don't you think it's time for JB and KP to do the same?
Old 08-13-2004, 05:24 AM   #19
pdad13
Founding Member

Last I checked, there are very few places to ride in the dirt around here too. And yet there are thousands of acres still available and not being used for much except hiking trails that are rarely used by anyone. I know of one small riding area left, but that's about it. It's a shame.

And yet I still see a reasonable number of motocross bikes, enduros and ATVs around.

Anyone from the Long Island area know where to ride?
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 08:49 AM   #20
sarnali
Founding Member

I used to go to the Trans Am at Puyallup Raceway Park every year, I remember the first time I saw Roger DeCoster do a cross-up, fantastic. One time we snuck around the Suzuki truck and saw DeCoster, Joel Robert and Sylvian Gehbors hanging out in lawn chairs, It was like seeing God or something to us 13 year olds, we just stood and stared till some Japanese guy chased us off.

I even got to shake Ake` Jonsson's hand, and John Banks booming around on his 500 CCM, who'd have thought back then that 4 stroke motocrossers would ever come back? It was totally cool to see those guys racing on my home track, I'd try to remeber what lines they were using. Trouble is everyone was too.

Hate to hear about Carlsbad closing, PRP is a strip mall now, in fact East Meridian where the track was is nothing but strip malls for about 10 miles. I don't have to move to Cali. It's moving up here. At least we're getting the hot weather to go with all the Californication.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote