Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 08-09-2004, 10:00 PM   #22
cx500nostalgic
Founding Member

Default Re: What Did We Do To Tick'em Off

You're probably right. I'm just wondering, and I'll admit that much as happened since I was last out there, and technology has produced some sweet machines, but what happened to the plain old bike? On the other hand, and in a positive note, I can say the same thing about todays bikes as I do about co-eds whenever I drive past DU...'They didn't build 'em like that when I was in school". Thanks for your input.
cx500nostalgic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 10:09 PM   #23
cx500nostalgic
Founding Member

I don't see the Bonnie as a cruiser. It is one of those bikes that didn't change and still harkens back to the purer days. Yes, cruiser's are the norm and a fashion statement. Crotch rockets are therre for the fast and the furious who just can't get enough engineering. Don't get me wrong, I'm not condemning either group. However, just like the difference between the extreme right and the extreme left, there is a fair amount of the 'silent majority' who would be happy with something nicely in the middle. Just the fact that this article was posted online in less than 24 hours from when first submitted, with 193 articles ahead of it, seems to indicate that I am not the only one who feels this way.
cx500nostalgic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 11:46 PM   #24
eekadog
Founding Member

unfortunately mone talks louder than the silent majority
eekadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 01:50 AM   #25
JLittler
Founding Member

Motorcycles are predominantly used for transport in Asia, this is not the case in Europe. Roughly the same ratio of plaything to basic transport exists in most of the westernised/1st world). The only real difference between the US and Europe is the price of fuel may make a small capacity bike a sensible choice if you're commuting on it and the US is a bit cheaper for older second hand cars hence the poorest end of the market are more likely to buy a cage in the US.

On the other hand the Euros do one smart thing - they let the kiddies get moped and scooter licences before they can get a car licence - heaps more then buy bigger bikes

JL
JLittler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 02:09 AM   #26
JLittler
Founding Member

I'm struggling to find many in your list that would sell - basically mid capacity low HP bikes, mostly naked - which just don't sell in the US.

The VFR 800 is called an Interceptor / Interceptor ABS on the Honda US website. Same specs, same styling - looks like the same bike to me.

The ER5 and GS500 are very basic low cost low maintenance commuter bikes that happen to be learner legal in most of the EU - no one in the US would buy one - their ****'s would fall of if they bought a little 500cc girls bike with only 35Hp "Geez ! You think I'm a girl ? I'm gunna learn me on how to ride on one them sexy R1's" .

Bandit 600 suffered really poor sales figures - everyone walked straight past it to the 1200

Transalp 750 - was on the market for years I'm fairly sure but didn't sell. Hell the dual purpose bikes generally sell poorly comparatively speaking, and which ones in this category sell ? The GS in a manly litre plus capacity, then a dwindling trickle of others around the 1 litre mark (DL1000, Tiger955 etc) - in teensy numbers compared to cruisers and Supersports

Surprised the GXS1400 isn't available there though - that's a "made for america" bike if I've ever seen one - stonking torque and very quick in a straight line ( bit wallowy through the corners, but you'll leave your cruisers for dead so don't worry about it

It's the same reason that if you compare the list of cruisers available in the US with what's available elsewhere - you guys get a long list we don't see (had to wait 3 years for the warrior to get here - first cruiser I seriously wanted to buy - damn disappointed when I finally got to ride one - who was the bright spark who made the frame 3 feet wide where your legs go to the ground ? How you can build a bike a foot off the ground then make it so you need to be 6' plus to flat foot it ?

JL

(Aussie who's lived in the US and Europe)

JLittler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 03:56 AM   #27
sanchin
Registered Member

I'm with you except I have a 98 Intrigue. Even the so-called nakeds are taking a decidedly sharp turn away from practicality. The 919 Hornet is not practical for anything but backroad blasting. The Bandit 1200 and FZ-1 are useful but the Fazer needs either a better faring or no faring at all so a aftermarket job could be installed. I had a CB-750 for many years and it was ideal except it was slow and low-tech. How about a 80-90 HP naked with centerstand, self-adjusting valves, room for 2, and pipes situated so saddlebags fit?

Greg

klr250, sv650, magna750
sanchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 04:02 AM   #28
Whatmough
Founding Member

Let's see, FZ1, Monster, 919, Zr1000, Z1000, 1200 Zuk, SV 650 & 1000,R1150r, Bonnie, Breva1000 & 750, Tuno. I know I'm missing more; but, the point is there are plenty of naked/standards to choose from. Also lots of excellent motorcycles available as the Interceptor, FJR1300 & Honda ST. So you want some cheese with that whine?
Whatmough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 04:11 AM   #29
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: KPaul says

Kook thinks I sell health insurance so I feed his paranoia that way. Why he hates health insurance salesmen, I'll never know. The guy who sold me my insurance is a pretty decent fella.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 04:12 AM   #30
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: Still trying to sell that Duc?

Well I suppose when it comes to ignorant frauds you would be an expert.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote