Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 08-09-2004, 03:05 PM   #11
iamz
Founding Member

Default Re: What Did We Do To Tick'em Off

I'm pretty sure Bonnie owner's don't think of their bikes as cruisers.

In fact, I'm awfully sure.
iamz is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-09-2004, 04:11 PM   #14
pdad13
Founding Member

Default Re: KPaul says

Internet boom. Ended four years ago. Was the biggest short term scam in history. Began during another President's term.

Enough said.
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 04:44 PM   #15
Buzglyd
Founding Member

I'll never run out of stupid Kook family members to fleece.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 06:16 PM   #18
pdad13
Founding Member

Default Re: What Did We Do To Tick'em Off

"Get it. Cruisers out sell everything other category of bike here in the US. Your problem is you don't want a cruiser."

It wasn't always that way. And, as all things change eventually, it proabably won't stay that way.

Cruisers sell so much here because they're fashion statements. Fashion can be changed if someone, or some company, wants to try hard enough. A revolution could be started with as little as one unique product. The iPod is a decent, if not perfectly analogous, example.

The best example is Harley Davidson itself. Twenty years ago, Harleys were considered old, slow, dated and obsolete by almost everyone. And yet they started the whole cruiser revolution by convincing people that they were the alternative for the independent soul. No, they didn't introduce a radically new product. But it was unique by the standards of the day. And they made it cool to own one, and therefore, own a particular lifestyle. They changed the fashion of the American motorcycle scene.

An another example from Europe: The Ducati Monster. Ducati was smart enough to pick up on a grassroots motorcycling fashion statement. Big seller.

We now are reaching saturation in the heavy cruiser segment. Indian and E-H failed not only because of mismanagement but also because they were selling into a market that is already well served. We've got all of the Japanese manufacturers, Victory, the "custom" makers all battling for the scraps of a market that H-D has won hands down. The future may not be in producing more heavy cruisers. Some company will probably take advantage of that someday.

More choices are better for all of us. Resigning ourselves to the "cruisers and supersports can only sell here" mentality is resigning the power of the consumer. There are more than a few people here who would love to have a broader range of bikes in the U.S. If enough of us are heard, we might see a change.

I always tell newer riders that there are other options besides cruisers and supersports that they should consider. Fact is, most of them don't really even know that other bikes exist. If we keep insisting that other bikes can't sell here, that will be true in this country.

Oh, I'd also like to to point out (as some have already done) that the Bonneville is NOT a cruiser. It's a retro standard. I could also argue that the R3, while still a heavy cruiser, is unique to that segment in many significant ways.

Old 08-09-2004, 06:25 PM   #19
pdad13
Founding Member

Now I know how you can afford all of that exotic machinery in your garage.