Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 07-14-2004, 02:39 PM   #81
eddyline
Founding Member

Default Re: Motorcycle fatalities in the Sacramento Area

I took the MSF course in Fullerton. On the final day, the instructor told us, "Now you have the skills to safely negotiate an empty parking lot."

Then he went on to explain to us how he had been racing for a while, and that we needed to get our bikes, and practice, practice, practice, to ride frequently and safely, and in about six months, take the next course on the list, before we could really consider ourselves safe street riders. After seeing and hearing about some really gruesome crashes, I've come to the conclusion that SoCal is sort of the Advanced course for riding: people don't signal--it might cause the car next to you to close the gap, and you can't make your lane change; no one really seems to get ticketed for speeding, unless you're going at least 15 mph faster than the rest of the speeders; people hit the brakes for no apparent reason, even when being tailgated(possibly _because_ they're being tailgated); you'd better get on that gas pedal, bub--you might not make that next red light; et cetera....

Or maybe it's just getting that way because the cagers feel like they're sitting in the Barcalounger at home, playing a video game. Cars are too safe; the only consequences these days, for the most part, are a broken nose, slap on the wrist, and higher insurance premiums.
eddyline is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-14-2004, 04:41 PM   #82
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: now to wax philisophic

One of the closest things to a rugged individualist would probably be a mountain man of the early 1800s. Of course, he had to sell his beaver pelts to someone and buy gunpowder and supplies from someone else.
Old 07-14-2004, 06:14 PM   #83
kowalke67
Founding Member

Hey, well, thanks for the compliment.

And don't kid yourself. I like CW but they don't have that home cookin' MO appeal.
Old 07-15-2004, 02:00 AM   #87
anrajala
Founding Member

Default Re: Defending British Motojournalist and Html for Dummies

The engines are certainly from different planets but the style is exactly what a japanese new-max design team could be expected to come up with after drinking too much coffee. So I call this pissing contest a draw.

- cruiz-euro
anrajala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 02:08 AM   #88
anrajala
Founding Member

Default Re: Does this make me a liberal? Or is George Bush a true Republican/Conservative?

Why on earth everybody on this thread wants a small government? How 'bout a strong government that says: look, everybody gets a 5 week annual vacation. End of story.

Big business is good but if you let them run the country are you are never going to get charge free dental for all.

- cruiz-euro
anrajala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 04:04 AM   #89
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Does this make me a liberal? Or is George Bush a true Republican/Conservative?

Because if the govt forces all businesses to give out 5 weeks paid vacation then hundreds of thousands of people will get laid off and we'll end up like Europe with 20+% of the people unemployed.
Old 07-15-2004, 04:41 AM   #90
cota
Registered Member

Just out of curiosity, how many car/truck/etc.. fatalities happened in the Sacramento Area last week. If it's like Denver, bikes make the news others because they're common are just stuff unless there's some sort of human interest twist, (group of high school kids, expectant mom, whatever). At least bikers are human interest fodder for the press....
cota is offline   Reply With Quote