Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Misc News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/misc-news/)
-   -   Motorcycle Audio Options (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/misc-news/2436-motorcycle-audio-options.html)

ewok1 06-30-2004 02:14 PM

Re: Motorcycle Audio Options

i use either an mp 3 player or disc player with earbuds. if not i use earplugs. i personally judge it to be less dangerous than riding too fast.

i think such a device may be illegal in california. until this year we always laughed because california had a law that made earplugs illegal too unless they were custom made. huge lines of people at laguna seca lined up for custom plugs and an annual ear wax inspection. it was fun.

mscuddy 06-30-2004 02:15 PM

Well, the frugal solution would be, drill some small holes in your helmet, (max 1/4 in.) by the ears, and duct-tape a small AM transistor radio (speaker facing in) to the helmet. Presto, motorcycle audio! Don't use an expensive helmet, though. I've found discarded Bell Moto 3's work best. You really should have known...

Buzglyd 06-30-2004 02:18 PM

Check out www.etymotic.com for headphones that block out exterior noise.

With regular ear buds you'll go deaf from turning it up so loud to get your tunes above the wind noise.

pplassm 07-01-2004 12:37 AM

The Aerostich catalog has an economical yet effective solution. It involves Koss "Plugs" and a set of earplugs (Eymotic?) that they sell. I have been using this combination for over a year now, and it is very effective. Most external noise is gone, and you don't have to boost the personal stereo to ear-splitting levels. And, because the stereo is not maxed out, you can easily hear surrounding road noises.

Yeah, it's illegal. Write me a ticket.

KCFirebolt 07-01-2004 03:54 AM

Autocom. It works well. It's portable from bike to bike. Two way comm/Mp3-CD-Radio/Cell phone/Intercom. It's really expensive, but I've been very happy with mine so far.

seruzawa 07-01-2004 04:02 AM

Buy and hitch up a motorcycle trailer. Install a 200 watt per channel stereo system with 18" woofers. Bolt a thump-thump speaker to the bottom of the trailer. Use deep cell batteries and an inverter for power - this should last several hours between charges.

Turn it way up.

Play only "Ted Nugent - Double Live Gonzo" and "Talking Heads - Life During Wartime".

nokneedragin 07-01-2004 04:04 AM

I have been using a walkman(tm) or similar knockoff for years on longer trips. The standard earbud speakers work well. I usually used only one earbud, since the paranoid child inside of me insist that I need to hear some of the road noise (sirens, horns, gunshots etc). The high end comunications system work well, but the cost is up there, and I'm a cheep skate at heart.

Buzglyd 07-01-2004 05:10 AM

My version of "Double Live Gonzo" is on LP. Do you think you could help me rig up a system that would allow the use of a turntable without skipping?

maladg 07-01-2004 05:43 AM

The Koss Ear Buds sound pretty ok, but the Koss Porta Pro's are much, much, much better sounding.

If I ever do this again, will use the Porta Pro's..disassemble and stuff into helment spkr pockets.

Remember...when you put spkrs in your helment or ears..you are putting a NON-COMPRESSABLE strut between your head and the helment liner. Food for thought.

maladg 07-01-2004 05:44 AM

And it would help if I could spell, too.