Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 06-21-2004, 04:38 PM   #31
DaveFla
Founding Member

Default Re: Full Face Helmet Recommendations??

For a year now, I've been wearing an old stock Nolan N100 I bought off of eBay for $110. I like it very much, though I do have the pointy forehead/ pinching problem, and the liner is permanent- no easy way to remove a little styrofoam from the area.</p>

The two-handed flip-up isn't usually a pain, but I won't mind trying an N100E with the one-handed release next time I shop. I later added the factory inner anti-fog system, which has been flawless. Ventilation is fine. I can't tell you about faceshield changes, because I haven't needed to do it- I hide mine behind my Windjammer, and wear Serengetis during the day.</p>
DaveFla is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-21-2004, 04:50 PM   #32
Vlad
Registered Member

Default Helmet standards

The Snell and Euro standards are based on actual testing. I have read that the DOT cert is based on manufacturer's certification that it meets the standard, which is why you need to be careful about manufacturers on DOT. I wear Nolans generally, cause they fit me and pass the Euro street standard, which is tougher than DOT. But my favorite helmet is a Shark that isn't snell. (It's actually British racing standard, which is tougher than the 1990 snell. Don't know about 2000.)

It is hard to design a helmet for the different tests, since they are quite different. They aren't mutually exclusive, just hard to design to fit all of the parameters.

You will get many opinions on which is the right standard for street use. Some claim DOT is actually better than Snell for street speeds. (Snell is a racing standard.) Maybe, but the iffy certification of DOT helmets makes the standard untrustworthy. I have seen DOT certification on helmets that I wouldn't put on my head. However, that said, a DOT Shoei or Nolan is correctly built.

If you watch the racers, you will find that they wear a variety of brands. Arai is the most numerous, except overseas, where you start seeing a lot of Sharks and Suomys. Shoei is, of course, well represented, and the high end AGVs, HJCs, and Nolans are appearing on more racers.

Hope this helps.

Francis
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 05:14 PM   #33
obandoj
Founding Member

Arai, Shoei.
obandoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 05:24 PM   #34
pdad13
Founding Member

Default Re: Helmet standards

"It is hard to design a helmet for the different tests, since they are quite different. They aren't mutually exclusive, just hard to design to fit all of the parameters."

Thanks for the info, that's what I figured.

I understand that the new ECE is the toughest standard out there. Since my brainbucket meets all of the major standards (DOT, Snell 2000) including ECE, I feel good about my choice. Anyone looking for a new helmet should check out KBC. I used to think they were kinda cheesey, but no more.

By the way, the VR-7 is very similar to the VR-1 (same liner, internals, and shell materials) and, I believe, passes all of the same standards. It's just got a bigger chin bar, different chin vents, and the shell is more rounded at the back.

I'm also very familair with what the racers are wearing, particualrly the Europeans. My backup helmet is an AGV (DOT, Snell 2000). AGV actually makes some nice helmets at a reasonable price. Just ask Valentino Rossi.
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 06:31 PM   #35
Cheapskate
Founding Member

Default Re: Full Face Helmet Recommendations?

I like going to the motorcycle shows and trying on all the different brands of helmets to fit my long head. I bought a Shoei TZ. Since you are in the sunshine state, don't get a black helmet. Even if it matches your bike.
Cheapskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 10:36 PM   #36
Pacer
Founding Member

If budget is your deal this may work for you. Go to a shop try on all the lids and find the one that works for you then hit ebay. My buddy got an Aria Corsair (Hayden colors) for $350ish.
Pacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 12:09 AM   #37
xlr8r
Founding Member

I've always liked Shoeis and have had about five of 'em, but have also had Bells and AGVs and even a BMW System helmet in the past. However, my latest Shoei Raid (based on the RF/TXR 'touring' shell rather than the sportier X shell) is the ONLY helment I have had where the little ventilation gadget on the top that supposedly ducts cool air to the top of your head on a hot day actually works well enough to make a difference you can feel! In FL this may be a useful thing....
xlr8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 02:20 AM   #38
SRMark
Founding Member

Try one of the flip up lids, like a Nolan N100 with a single button release. If you get stuck in traffic you can pop up the front and not roast. Snell has a difficult time testing flip ups so you won't find a rating on them, at least I haven't. HJC, Shoei, Schuberth and a few others make them. I like all of the above and the Nolan is the least expensive, though it is not cheaply made. The paint is a bit on the thin side though. Just don't be fiddling with the helmet while riding.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 03:53 AM   #39
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Got it Wrong!

The spike goes on the top Buz. Maltese crosses go on the sides. Damn kids!
Old 06-22-2004, 03:53 AM   #40
seruzawa
The Toad

Actually, he wears a 60's style half-helmet like Agostini used to wear, with a Spandex one-piece suit.