Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 06-21-2004, 01:05 PM   #11
GogglesPaisano
Founding Member

Default Re: Full Face Helmet Recommendations??

I wear a Simpson RX, and aside from the hindered visibility I love it.

Of course, that's just me.

-=Goggles=-
GogglesPaisano is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-21-2004, 01:23 PM   #13
qidude
Founding Member

Okay, let me get this straight. You just spent $6500 for a new bike, and now you're wondering about the price of your helmet? Come on!

qidude

p.s. I also have a new V-strom - great choice.
qidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 01:38 PM   #14
maladg
Registered Member

Great suggestions so far. I have one to add. Try and walk outside and look towards the general area of the sun. The dark smoke shield on my HJC (otherwise a fine, budget lid) has a most unpleasant whitish cast. I'd not buy another just for that reason. Test the performance of the standard faceshields...not just the price.
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 01:39 PM   #15
Tigercub
Founding Member

Everyone is mentioning fit, but you might also want to check out some comparison tests, in which they used the helmet on the bike and evaluated noise in the wind. I think Shoei is OK when it comes to wind noise and Arai is good too, but HJC may not be as good. You have to check test reports.

Another thing to consider is ventilation - especially in florida and again you might need to consult the comparison tests.

While you're trying on helmets check out the strap. I prefer plain old D-rings. They are reliable and strong.

Last thing I can think of may not be important on your bike, but on my sport bike I wear a Shoei and leaned over my view is cut off at the top because the helmet is cut kind of low. I tried on a brand that was much better, but now I can't remember which one. I need to replace my helmet - anyone know which helmet gives the most vision at the top?
Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 02:04 PM   #17
torrnado
Founding Member

i'm extremely happy with the performance, cost, features and fit of my icon helmets. two particularly nice features are the indents in the foam padding which allow for glasses/sun glasses and the small pockets for helmet speakers (i.e., for chatterbox).

with all due respect, i'd pay the money if i thought an arai, soumy or shoei were worth it, but i'm of the opinion that it's more of an ego issue to get a $500+ helmet.
torrnado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 02:39 PM   #18
F451
Founding Member

I own Shoei, Arai and HJC, all are full-face helmets. The HJC came with a motorcycle I bought from a private party who had it as a new spare and although comfortable it is pure hell on the highway at high speeds as it wants to rip my head off if angled wrong. In the industry HJC is joking referred to as "head just crushed." My Arai is noisy, doesn't vent as well as I'd like, but it's my favorite by far (it feels like part of my head and not a helmet); I like my Shoei too, but not as well as my Arai. Those who think that Arai and Shoei helmets are a waste of money are fooling themselves--the quality shows in many areas where lesser helmets simply cannot compete.
F451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 02:41 PM   #19
steve_griffiths
Founding Member

Personally I feel the heat, and found that the AGV X-Vent has the best venting, is reasonably quiet, and unfortunately passed crash testing . They fit me well, but like the others say, try it first. Hardest part with AGV is finding a dealer - I normally check them out at shows. Now that I know what fits me, I get mine from the same dealer on eBay, but as always, buyer beware.

Cheers.... Grif

steve_griffiths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 02:46 PM   #20
Intersport
Founding Member

There are many comments re: Snell certification here. What you've failed to point out is that an increasing number of experts (i.e., Dave Thom) are pointing to Snell as being too hard a helmet, and too heavy, and that other certifications may be better in a real-world crash. Many European racers wear non-Snell helmets (ECE and other ratings that cannot co-exist with Snell).
Intersport is offline   Reply With Quote