Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 06-09-2004, 11:49 PM   #11
xlr8r
Founding Member

Default Re: Bike Security

Yes, we do have a theft problem in the UK. Years of experience have taught me this:

1. There is no defence against the man with the van. No matter how many locks you have on your bike, someone who really really wants it will pick it up and put it in the van

2. Alarms are pointless and annoying. Nobody hearing one is going to pay any attention. I know this because when I park my bike alongside the others in a crowded space, sometimes I brush against one with an alarm and set it off. Not one passer-by even turns his head my way.

3. The easiest bike to steal is the one with no defences, so if yours has two locks on it, the theif will go elsewhere.

4. Which two locks? A small disc lock and a good U-bar lock. U-bar locks are usually stronger than locks and chains. Kryptonites aren't as good as they would have you believe: Abus are better, imho.

5. The good news: thieves only steal what they can sell. That means current model sportbikes which are in demand, and big twin H-Ds which can be broken for parts. Other stuff - and that means your SV650 - aren't as interesting to them.
xlr8r is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-10-2004, 02:29 AM   #12
SRMark
Founding Member

The choices we make. Had to go to an urban school. I left my wallet on my car seat with the door open one evening. Came out the next morning and someone had shut my car door for me and left a note on the seat telling me to be more carefu. Wallet still on the seat. I'd be finding a long term solution as opposed to a lock.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 04:32 AM   #13
kowalke67
Founding Member

I think lbauer gave you some good affordable advice.

- Two locks

- A cover

- Make it more of a hassle to steal your bike than it is to steal another one

I'd also add, don't leave it parked in the same spot all the time if you park on the street. Move it every couple days. This makes it harder for a thief to plan how he is going to steal it. Most important, use the locks and cover every night. The one night you are to tired or rushed to lock it up will be the night it gets stolen.
Old 06-10-2004, 05:18 AM   #14
civicracerx
Founding Member

Thanks for the advice. I think I'm just going to invest in a couple of different anti-theft devices, probably a disc lock as well as a chain.

The worst part about all this is, yesterday around 4:00PM, someone tried to jack my bike. Apparently they just got scared away, because the ignition cylinder was destroyed, so they certainly could have rolled the bike off.

The bike wasn't even behind a building, or in an alley. No, it was parked right at a street corner, in the middle of the day, with hundreds of cars going by.

My insurance company sent a tow truck (after 2 hours), but didn't bother to tell them I had a motorcycle. They couldn't tow me. Then they were going to send another truck (ETA - 1.5 hours), which I just declined. My brother-in-law drove down from Erie, and we loaded the bike into his pickup.

Incidentally, cost of a new ignition cylinder and matching gas cap? About $250. I was going to let a shop do the work, but when I asked them about the "star" screws under the cylinder, the guy told me that you just had to drill them out. Another shop told me you could buy the tool. This is factory-certified training at its best.
civicracerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 05:47 AM   #15
GogglesPaisano
Founding Member

What's really lame is people will steal _anything_. I've known people with total beater cars and bikes that were stolen. Would you steal a $600 rustbucket Toyota? Someone did. How about an old Honda Dream? Yep, took that one too. You'd think these idiots wouldn't risk getting caught for something old and slow, but apparently they don't care.

It's sad when I have to worry about leaving my old CB350 unattended for fear some jacka$$ will take off on it and dump it in a field somewhere.

-=Goggles=-
GogglesPaisano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 07:03 AM   #16
SRMark
Founding Member

People suck. And they suck for various reasons and causes. Liberals and conservatives will debate the many sides but I think a claw hammer in the top of the head would be one cure.

What do you do when you find a dollar bill? Try to find the owner? How about a $100? Or Timex watch or a Rolex? How about a diamond ring?

Now how do you think you would respond if both your parents were crack addicts? Too many shades of grey: one claw hammer fits all. Secure your bike and save the hammer.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 10:11 AM   #17
EvoVII
Founding Member

It's new so there's no feedback on this yet, but CycleTrak--cycletrak.com--sell a nationwide global positioning based subscriber service that's supposed to help you recover your stolen scoot. If your bike is stolen and not recovered within 30 days or totaled, they pay you $1,000. Small consolation for a missing Aprilla Factory, but it may be worth checking out.
Old 06-10-2004, 10:54 AM   #18
Yamahanian
Founding Member

Default Re: Watch out for Big Brother!

What's more likely to happen if you install this system: (1) your bike is stolen and recovered, or (2) you receive a speeding ticket in the mail because the GPS/cellphone you installed on your bike ratted you out to the local gendarmes? This is just another revenue enhancer for the local taxing authority.

Yamahanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 01:48 PM   #19
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Paint the entire bike flat black, even the tires & seat. Install some "ape hangers" & a Moto Guzzi tank badge. I will never be stolen. Guaranteed. Painting everything silver works too. Like Billy Pilgrim's boots.
Old 06-10-2004, 08:38 PM   #20
supecoop
Founding Member

I have a Xena lock and it works well. Plus, in case you forget to take if off your disk, the alarm sounds as soon as you take the bike off the stand. Its good for short-term locking in a reasonably public place, but for overnight you need to add a chain. I use a Kryptonite chain and lock around the rear wheel and frame to a pole, with the Xena on the front wheel at night. BTW, Xena makes a chain lock with an alarm to. Check out a British mag like Bike.
supecoop is offline   Reply With Quote