Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 06-02-2004, 03:41 AM   #1
SRMark
Founding Member

Default Re: Best selling bikes?

Most countries maintain offices of international trade. My guess is that there is a World Trade Center or equivalent organization in Seoul. Also, the Motorcycle Industry Council in the should maintain statistics for the U.S. You will most-likely need to join that group to gain access to their data. Also, the Radio Advertising Bureau should have some useful stats for you, but again, you will have to join. Go to the main campus of the largest university in Seoul and talk to a librarian. You will get more information than you can use.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-02-2004, 03:59 AM   #2
Patrick-of-the-Hills
Founding Member

I'm not sure if there's one central list, but close and steady reading of the media in each of your target markets should at least offer up a clue or two. For example, I caught something in one of the English magazines this past week (could've been MCN online?)about how their top seller is the CBR600F (our F4i), followed by the R1, and coming up surprisingly quickly is Honda's 125cc 2-stroke sportbike.

The biggest seller in America is usually the Harley Softail line taken as a whole, but break it down into individual models and you're going to obviously suffer dilution. Otherwise, one 600 sportbike or another is likely to head the list.
Patrick-of-the-Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 04:20 AM   #3
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Interesting note

I was just reading in CW that Honda only sells 1000 VFRs a year in the States. 1000???!!!

I thought this was the most incredible bike ever made and the best you VFR lovers can pony up is a measly thousands units per year?

I guess it really is a (used one) that is the best.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 04:25 AM   #4
sarnali
Founding Member

Judging by the bikes I see on the road I'd say the Harley Road King was the best seller around here, followed by different variations of metric cruisers.

Nation wide I've read somewhere that in the over 600cc catagory HD sells the most and Honda sells the most overall, so I'd say CBR600's followed by RK's and Heratige Softails .

World wide I think Honda step-through 50's or 90's top the list.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 05:11 AM   #5
PistolPete
Registered Member

I heard somewhere that the harley sportster has been the number 1 seller for something like 15 years. Not sure if that's true.
PistolPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 05:12 AM   #6
naco_traficante
Registered Member

Google search produced this thread with assorted moto-stat links:

http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=141477
naco_traficante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 05:30 AM   #7
kowalke67
Founding Member

Default Re: Interesting note

You must be good at lighting fires

I was surprised at the sales figures on VFR's myself. Rider magazine had their Best Of issue this past month. In the obligatory honorable mention article (you have to mention as many motorcycles as possible to limit the hate mail you'll receive from the readers who own bikes that didn't get mentioned at all, i.e. those who need someone else to tell them they can like their motorcycle) one of the editors scolded motorcyclists for not buying more VFR's. Said the bike just didn't get the respect- in unit sales- that it deserves.

Not sure why this is because I've never read anything bad about VFR's except nit picky stuff and mag reviews typically rave about it. Maybe it's because it's been such a well performing bike for so long and has had realtively few changes over it's long life it doesn't generate presence of mind/interest anymore in the motorcycle world. I.e. there is no "new and improved" bling to get people to notice it again. Honda may be treating it as kind of a cash cow product- no R&D, no marketing, etc. (although 1000 units a yr isn't much cow).
Old 06-02-2004, 05:32 AM   #8
kowalke67
Founding Member

Default Re: Interesting note

Oops, the last CW issue, not Rider. To many mags to keep up with.
Old 06-02-2004, 05:38 AM   #9
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Good one

You beat me to the punch on this thread Buz. I was going to write the same thing. 1000 units a year for the "motorcycling pinnacle of excellence" eh? This bike is hyped to the max, and it doesn't sell for crap. I wonder how badly the bikes they don't like sell. Actually, trying to find any decent statistics on Japanese motorcycle sales OR profits is like finding hen's teeth. I wonder why they don't pony up with any real sales of profit info? Possibly all is not well in Oz?
Old 06-02-2004, 05:45 AM   #10
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: Good one

You can go KP on me and say I "stole" it from you!

I think you're on to something though. H-D always posts unit sales where it seems like everyone else claims an increase in percentage. Percentage is only relevant if you disclose the beginning number.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote