Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 06-03-2004, 07:51 AM   #61
jkofsky
Founding Member

Default Re: Best selling bikes?

Oops sorry - I see it isn't.

jkofsky is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-03-2004, 09:01 AM   #62
nbyers
Registered Member

Default It's all that competition...

Hey, Buz, you've whipped up a firestorm here with this post. Or at least lighted a couple of matches.

I think it's two things that limit VFR sales. First is lack of factory hard bags. It seems sorta silly in a way since you can buy nice Givi bags for the VFR, but then, well, you gotta go buy the nice Givi bags, which are not readily available at the local Cycles-R-Us nor do are they given away for free.

Which is a nice segue into the second reason, which is purely competition.

Competition without factory luggage: Yamaha FZ1, Honda's own Blackbird, Suzuki Bandit, Suzuki SV1000S, maybe even the Kawasaki ZRX.

Competition with factory luggage: BMW R1100S, BMW K1200RS, BMW R1200GS, Yamaha FJR1300, Triumph ST, Ducati ST series.

None of these competing bikes were available ten years ago. But the VFR was. Time has caught up with this market segment.

I recently bought a BMW R1100S with luggage, even though I could buy a VFR (arguably a better bike) with Givi setup for a couple grand less.

Why? No doubt I'd be faster and smoother on a VFR just because it's more refined and easier to ride. I find the BMW quirky, in an involving way rather than an annoying way. But the bottom line was emotional rather than rational.

Probably the same reason you bought an ST4 rather than a VFR.

nbyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 02:37 PM   #63
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: It's all that competition...

Good points.

In addition, I think Captainwhoopie's got it right. The VFR would sell in greater numbers if it was priced like a 750 class bike. You can get a Triumph Tiger with the boxes for less. You can get a 1000cc Concours for far less. when you factor in both the VFR's high price and the increased competition it makes life very hard for the VFR.

Honda's overpricing is its major downfall IMHO. Adding trick stuff like VTec may wow the car crowd, but bikers look at the performance figures, i.e. added weight and less power. Honda shoulda not bothered with the VTec and kept the price competitive.
Old 06-03-2004, 03:35 PM   #64
MileHighMagna
Registered Member

The current VFR, in my view, is expensive and much heavier than previous versions. It weighs about the same as a CBR1100XX, is about the same price, has 40 less horsepower, and virtually the same ergos. Which would you buy?
MileHighMagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 04:06 PM   #65
triumph900
Founding Member

Default Re: no direct relationship between sales and quality

"no direct relationship between sales and quality"...but there is between sales and longevity...
triumph900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 05:19 PM   #66
obandoj
Founding Member

Sounds good to me, I go to many motorcycle races in the southwest, will probably be at Laguna Seca in July, how about the Corkscrew Saturday at 6PM? I can do lots of things also.
obandoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 02:40 AM   #67
gruss
Founding Member

Default Re: You're onto something here

I bought it new in 97, a few bikes have caught my eye but I just cant give the ole girl up. It just fit me, it was comfotable, quick enough and was, and still is more capable than I am

I guess I'm unique in my normalness, I got it because it was practical with a little bit o' sex appeal, no signal stalks, ss swingarm AND it had a clock!
Old 06-04-2004, 03:01 AM   #68
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Bring lots of friends. Your gonna need em.
Old 06-04-2004, 03:41 AM   #69
obandoj
Founding Member

An army of one? Remember what Evel Knivel said "God made man and Winchester made them equal"
Old 06-04-2004, 03:45 AM   #70
obandoj
Founding Member

An Army of one? Remember what Evel Knivel said "God made man and Winchester made them equal" The question is, are you gonna make it or are you just training on your flexibility?