Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 06-02-2004, 08:29 PM   #51
Vlad
Registered Member

Default VFR Sales

The lack of sales of the VFR in the states is a result of our motorcycling public. The bike sells great in Europe. So Honda's research for the VFR is centered on Europe. Over here people buy cruisers. Why? Because they look kuhl, that's why. Do they actually ride them? No. (At least not much.) Or they buy sportbikes that have more power than they can use. Then there's the section of the market that needs a full touring bike. That snatches another segment out. Honestly there's not much left of the buying public. But if you're looking for all around transportation, the VFR is the ticket. It will almost tour with the touring bikes and sport with the sportbikes. Generally it outruns the sportbikes because of the dweebs who ride them. I remember reading a story by a journalist who was at the track in Vegas and saw a VFR coming down the straight. He kept thinking the guy was going to crash, he was coming in way too hot. But the guy just swooped around the curve and kept going. It was Freddie Spenser. He rides a VFR. But I guess he just don't know how to handle a bike.

Vlad
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-02-2004, 10:32 PM   #52
Betamax
Founding Member

Default Re: no direct relationship between sales and quality

Hey Buz, didn't realize you were the original poster, sorry for the smart alecky response.

As others have suggested above, it's a 'tweener bike -- neither a full-out tourer nor sportbike, and most people want one or t'other.
Betamax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 11:47 PM   #53
jkofsky
Founding Member

Default Re: Best selling bikes?

And the comments I took the time to ride after attending Keith Code's school? Could I possibly be the only MOron who had never done this and wondered whether I should, whether it would be useful, what would be entailed, etc., etc., etc.?
jkofsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 01:59 AM   #54
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: Good one

I have said to many people the Japanese probably have lost money here for the last 10 years. No way you can re-design a bike every 3 years and make money. Not no way, and not no how. Some people refuse to face the facts, though.
Old 06-03-2004, 02:23 AM   #55
obandoj
Founding Member

You are so flexible, you can probably kiss your own a$$ right?
obandoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 04:12 AM   #56
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

I can do lots of things. Let's meet face to face and I can show you some of them.
Old 06-03-2004, 04:30 AM   #57
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Default Re: Good one

With Honda I think it's more than just sportbikes- the amount of recalls and rebating they have done in the last few years is as much to blame, I think.
Old 06-03-2004, 06:03 AM   #58
zxr250cc
Founding Member

I lived in Japan for five years and one of the local magazines had statistics on a month to month basis about what bike was selling in what numbers. Only one of the mags had this but it was always interesting to see who was leading the sales. While I was there a Yamaha 250cc scooter was one of the hottest models for about 6 months straight! I am guessing that checking the Japanese mags would find that one of them still tracks this.
zxr250cc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 06:08 AM   #59
zxr250cc
Founding Member

In UK the new learners are restricted to 33 hp bikes for the first two years and then must take a full license test to use larger horsepower bikes. As a result of this the smaller bikes sell well there. It is also a smaller place and a smaller bike would do well there for the distances. I traveled all over Japan on either a 250cc (ZXR250) or 400 cc (ZZR400) sport bikes, for example and they were both plenty powerful and fun for the locale.

Cheers
zxr250cc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 06:50 AM   #60
jkofsky
Founding Member

This is not a reply to my post, is it?
jkofsky is offline   Reply With Quote