Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 06-02-2004, 04:47 AM   #11
gruss
Founding Member

Default Re: Interesting note

Its all marketing, and Honda pride.

I've ridden a bunch of new bikes and never had a desire to trade off my VFR, but all the squids out there chuckle at its "measly" 750-800 cc engine, "skinny" tires etc.

Honda leaves it alone and keeps it in the lineup because they know they got it right, but to lure some ppl into buying something it has to be the biggest, fastest, lightest or something thats the "best" of something. Maybe someday ppl will just ride and be happy, and actually relaize the road is not a racetrack, but today isnt that day, so I'll just sit back and be smug about my 7 year old purchase and how I still enjoy it to this day all while having no problem keeping up with the idjits on the 04 yamakawazuki repli racers on the street, especially when they have to stop to do their stretches and save their wrists I can ride right by....

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-02-2004, 04:49 AM   #12
Buzglyd
Founding Member

I'm a lover not a fighter.

I think the VFRs problem is that is has no "Burger barn" appeal. The ugly secret is that sportbike guys are the equal of Harley posers.

I'm 40 and I could see myself owning a VFR and not giving a crap what the Burger barn crowd thinks.

KPaul tells the world that will be his next bike but never ponied up the cash.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 04:52 AM   #13
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default You're onto something here

Maybe VFR guys are more practical (like Concours guys) and figure a 7 year old one is just as good as a new one.

Do you have the desire to get on a new one or is the older one just fine for you?
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 05:18 AM   #14
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Well, the fact that it's $10,000 probably has something to do with it... you can get a lot more bike in other places for not much more money.
Old 06-02-2004, 05:23 AM   #15
seruzawa
The Toad

No matter how nice the VFR is it's simply "old" and "boring". At least to the sportbike mafia. Too many people think their vehicle defines who they are. This is why idiots spend ridiculous amounts of money on new cars and/or bikes when they should be investing their cash in real estate. Gotta impress all those people who really don't give a sheet. Important Note: Buying the "latest and greatest" doesn't increase your condom size one millimeter. Neither do arm chaps or tattoos.

The VFR's manufacturing line is fully amortized by now, so Honda can afford to produce a bike that sells in small numbers, just like Yammer does with the V-Max or Ksaki does with the Police KZ1000 and Concours. The VFR is still an excellent choice for a bike that can freeway drone and still scoot around the twisties with aplomb. There's a growing idea that I think is psychotic that 750 class bikes aren't excellent performers. What? 160 mph ain't fast enough in the real world?

Around here I'd say the biggest sellers are metric cruisers, Harleys and 600-4s. I think they give away free t-shirts, shorts and sandals with the 600s.
Old 06-02-2004, 05:24 AM   #16
jimmy_hank
Founding Member

Default Re: Best selling bikes?

Motorcycle Consumer News (MCN) publishes a sales chart at least once a year. If you're not familiar with MCN, it is a advertising-free monthly motorcyle magazine that, I think, is excellent. You can purchase back issues, including, of course, the issue with the sales data. To talk to someone at MCN, click on the "contact us" button at http://www.mcnews.com/mcn/
jimmy_hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 05:24 AM   #17
nokneedragin
Founding Member

Default Re: You're onto something here

I don't think its a matter of new or old. These bikes appeal to a person that wants a combination of sporting performance, long range tanks, bags, etc. The people who owns these bikes are not the average joe squid, or bad-ass wannabee. Speaking from the VFR and Connie owners I've met, most enjoy just riding and not talking about how much they spent on chrome, or the performance mods they made. They also seem to be quite content to keep the same bike for years (over a decade in my case).

Am I going to get a new bike, as soon as I can budget it, but I also have some ageing sport bikes in my garage, a old beat up dirt bike, and a real old suzook gs650 broke down into its constituent parts in boxes. So I'm in no hurry.

Yes if I hit the lotto I'm off to the dealer.
nokneedragin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 05:25 AM   #18
seruzawa
The Toad

Yeah, but most of Honda's line is overpriced and they still outsell everyone.
Old 06-02-2004, 05:39 AM   #19
Joseph_Betor
Founding Member

I don't know about that. I don't think this bike was ever marketed at squids. The demographic it was aimed at has gotten smaller as the baby boom cohort moved on to FJR1300s, ST1300s and even Goldwings. Combine that with the fact you can pick up a new, more powerful, lighter, leftover Superhawk for $3K less and the VFR just doesn't have the appeal it once did.
Joseph_Betor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 05:58 AM   #20
obandoj
Founding Member

Default Re: Best selling bikes?

What I would like to know is, what kind of brown nosing or a$$ kissing do you have to offer to longride to have a relevant, interesting and current comment posted on this website?

It is very frustrating to try to have a good post that would generate intelligent and up to date banter with the other members, totally ignored!
obandoj is offline   Reply With Quote