Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 05-06-2004, 07:54 PM   #61
pated
Registered Member

Default Re: Dear Bike designers.

You couldn't be more right. I would certainly buy.
pated is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-06-2004, 07:54 PM   #62
pated
Registered Member

Default Re: Dear Bike designers.

You couldn't be more right. I would certainly buy.
pated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 09:47 PM   #63
gceaves
Registered Member

Default Re: What to buy?

Buy whatever the local delivery guys ride.

It'll be cheaper for parts. Your local mechanic will know how to fix it. He'll have the parts in-store. When you drop it on the way home from the bar, it'll be easy to pick up and cheap to fix. You'll even be able to fix it yourself if you're too embarassed about the damage to take it to your mechanic.

I've been riding a 250cc Hyosung Mirage for the past year. I think it's sold as something called an "Alpha Sport" in the US. I've put 28'000km on it (17'400 miles) touring around Korea, and even took it to Shanghai once by boat for a holiday. It's cheap, reliable, works in the snow, and every village has a mechanic who can fix it. Ride cheap. Ride humble.

-gregory
gceaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 10:06 PM   #64
tonyharrah
Founding Member

Default Move up here.

You should move to Montana. Sure, the riding season is shorter than it is down there, but even then I rode every month in the last 12 except february. There are miles and miles of twisties with little or no traffic. Unfortunately, the traffic you do run into is typical rural traffic--i.e. no brains or eyes. It takes me 20 minutes from work to get to 4 incredible roads.

Wait....What the hell am I doing? It sucks balls up here! There's gravel in the spring and surprise snow in june. Wages are on par with sweatshops in asia (but the lord advises me to take on payments for both a bmw F650GS and a ZX6r). Don't come here unless strictly by motorcycle!
tonyharrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 04:58 AM   #65
anrajala
Founding Member

If you haven't got that particular brain dimming "got to get this one particular thing" compulsion (and your fragile ego can't stomach 250cc Hyosung Mirage), your rational choice is limited to Valkyrie. Obviously.

- cruiz-euro
anrajala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 08:35 AM   #66
ValkBandit
Registered Member

interesting you should mention it ... i've been eyeballing both the VFR and the SV1000S (along with a few other sport tourers). let me ask a couple of questions, since you've ridden both:

1) do they "feel" equally powerful?

2) do the SV ergos feel too extreme? (also ... how tall are you so that i can judge whether we might have similar impressions)
ValkBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 04:36 PM   #67
mile_eater
Founding Member

Default What function will the new Bike perform?

The first question you have to answer is "What do I want to do with this bike?"

For me, I tour. So it had to be comfortable for the long haul. I still wanted something I could rock and roll on though, so I knew I was looking for something like a zx-11 or xx. Turns out I found a sweet deal on a 1000f and the rest is history.

Each of the bikes you listed will do something better than the others. Except the Yamaha. All yamahas suck.
Old 05-07-2004, 05:20 PM   #68
MrBear44
Registered Member

The best thing to do is wait a bit. After a years long legal battle, the Gossamer Designs Corp. has finally won the rights to the Roadog motorcycle name. Plans have been under development for several years, and the first new Roadog, the "Will Bill Commemorative Limited Edition", will hit showroom floors in the spring of 2005. The original was over 17 feet long and over 3200 pounds, and the new edition wonÂ’t disappoint. The early Roadogs will feature RC Components frames and S&S engines, but believe me when I tell you that it will be 100% Roadog through and through. The plan is to build up to the 17 foot long "Roadog Superior" over a period of years, to allow for proper development. Longer-term plans include a 26-foot long luxury touring model and a lean and mean 1400 pound sport bike.

While youÂ’re anxiously waiting for the triumphant return of the Roadog, check out some history to wet your appetite:

http://www.msichicago.org/scrapbook/...hibits/roadog/

http://www.factoryfat.com/wildbillgelbke.html

MrBear44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 02:42 PM   #69
HappyBus
Founding Member

Default Re: make a list, check it twice.

My experience: I had a 92 ZX6 with 55,000+ miles on it. It was my only bike for the past 12 years. Last winter I decided it was finally time to upgrade after being stranded one weekend, bumming a ride home with a friendly passing frieght hauler (who loaded up my bike, kindly enough) and then spending $500 to replace the toasted charging system (regulator and stator coil were cooked).

I spent a LOT of time during the midwest winter really thinking about what I did and didn't like about the old ZX6. And what type of riding made up most of my motorcycle time. I kept the list handy as I went to the bike shows, read magazine tests and talked with other riders. I looked at aftermarket support in case I wanted some goodies down the line. As I shopped I realized I wanted a bike that I would need to do minimal tweaks on to get the power, handling and sport/commuter/touring flexibility I wanted.

I found myself looking at liter-class bikes. And after a few test rides, I bought a bike that I had never even considered owning when I first started shopping... an '04 Hayabusa. Power? Got it. Commuting? Gets 40+ mpg with a 5-gallon tank. Flexibility? Handles a tank bag and soft luggage no sweat. I've put more than 1,500 miles on it this month. Love this thing. My wife also rides, she wants one after sampling my new bike.

Take some time, don't be afraid to look outside your initial list. You might be suprised what really suits your riding style and needs.
HappyBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 05:29 PM   #70
JALacroix
Founding Member

I used to own a YZF600R ('00 black/silver), and have ridden the ZX6 now known as the ZZR600. I also owned a '98 ZX6R. Let me just say that the YZF has it all over the Kawi (ZX6E/ZZR600) in every regard. If anyone is looking for a great all-rounder 600 the Thundercat gets my vote. It has a 5 gallon tank (250+ mile range, I regularly saw 270+) has great ergos, good passenger accomodations, and a great street-oriented engine (has it all over the YZF-R6 until 8k rpms...how many of us spend much time over 8k rpms on the street?)
JALacroix is offline   Reply With Quote