Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 04-14-2004, 04:33 PM   #71
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: What if

No Way. "he's just a poor drunk with a problem and we're going to hold his hand till it's all better"

Don't make me puke. Drunk drivers kill people. How many times has Gobert screwed up? He can go cry in his beer in Australia and talk about how great he is like all the rest of the drunks.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-14-2004, 04:52 PM   #72
mile_eater
Founding Member

Default Re: Anthony ''Go-Show'' Gobert

DUI's are mostly crap. B.A.L. is a very unreliable means of measuring one's impairment. There are two factors in determining impairment; amount consumed, and tolerence. Blood Alch. Level ignores the second part of the equation.

My wife has seen men walk into the hospital, showing no signs what-so-ever, then according to their b.a.l. they should be dead.

What cops and judges will tell you is clinically impossible, doctors see everyday.

Good thing cops and judges don't work the clinics huh?

I guess I better state this now before the howling starts. I've never had a DUI, and i'm not defending driving while impaired.

I'm also not calling anyone names.

Old 04-14-2004, 05:18 PM   #73
pdad13
Founding Member

I have to agree that there are plenty of drivers/riders out there who don't need to be drunk to be incompetent and/or irresponsible and/or just plain wreckless and inconsiderate of other peoples' lives and property. We do need better driver training. And we do need to monitor those who's driving skills have eroded due to age or disability.

But, Gobert is not being persecuted by any means. He lost a high profile job that depends on him upholding a professional and responsible image. Honda and Erion employ him mostly as an image builder/enhancer. By being irresponsible he has let them down in one of the most serious ways he can. He's not working in a back office somewhere, he's part of the public faces of the companies who employ him. Therefore, his obligations are different than ours. He must of known this when he started his career.

He has not been unjustly convicted. He will stand trial. He's not being locked up without legal representation. And, I don't know about California, but if he were in New York and it was his first offense, he'd probably get off fairly easy (with a reduced charge, fine, probation, and a sealed record).

It's also funny how you rail at government enforcement of, for the most part, a reasonable law, yet you call for more government intrusion and regulation when it suits your purposes.

Also, drunkeness does more than exacerbate bad driving. If you're smashed, say .20 (like in the cases of more than a few recent accidents where I live) YOU CANNOT REASONABLY DRIVE AT ALL. And relaxing DUI enforcement will only encourage people to drive even more impaired.

You say you are happy to take responsibilty when you do something wrong. How happy will you be to face the loved ones of someone you killed because you were being selfish? We all make mistakes, but most times being responsible for your actions means making responsible decisions before you hurt someone else.

The Facist government routine and lynch mob hyperbole is growing tired. You do not have the right to put someone else's safety at risk-- ever. Never have in this country. I think you need to brush up on your Bill of Rights.

And while it sounds nice to "help" Mr. Gobert through his problems, it would probably be better for him to face a monumental life-changing event. He needs to face reality, not be coddled. Apparently, he's had a few second chances. Time for some tough love.

Our freedoms in this country are bound by obligations, something many of us forget too often. Personal responsibility. Look it up.
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 05:35 PM   #74
pdad13
Founding Member

You're right about that. But given the current methodology, we have to use something as a baseline. I'm all for coming up with a better way of defining who's drunk and who's not. Is there an alternative? I'd like to know.

But if there isn't yet, we can't just leave everyone to their own devices. Until we find something better, B.A.C/L. is it.

You have every right to drink if you want. If you're licensed, you've earned the privilege to drive. You don't have the right and/or privilege to drink and drive.

I'm no lover of excessive government regulation, but please remember the law is primarily in place to protect the vast majority of us who choose not to violate them. It' not there to "protect us from ourselves." It's there to protect us from irresponsible jack-offs.
Old 04-14-2004, 06:01 PM   #75
pdad13
Founding Member

This is an excellent point. I have it out for junk science, too. Global warming is a doozy (I'm not saying it can't exist, I'm just saying the "science" used to support it is, for the most part, laughable). I'm extremely leery about any statistics as they can be massaged to serve almost any purpose.

However, I've known people who've driven drunk and and a few who were seriously injured or killed by drunk drivers. I see drunks out on the road all the time. I've even driven once or twice when I probably shoudn't have. Fortunately, I realized how stupid that was and would never do it now. It is a serious problem, as you stated, and not a matter of personal freedom. You can't do it. And if you do, you're taking a very bad risk with your life and quite possibly someone else's.
Old 04-14-2004, 07:55 PM   #76
Mashuri
Founding Member

Very true. The issue I take is that the legal definition of drunk is way too low. The limit should be higher and the punishment should be scaled to the severity, meaning, if you're caught driving at .12 it's a relatively minor punishment than compared to getting caught driving at .25.
Mashuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 08:49 PM   #77
dylanmo
Founding Member

You remind me of everything I hated about living in St. Paul. Let me guess, you live in Powderhorn Park or wait! Crocus Hill. You listen earnestly to MPR while commuting in your Civic. I know it's hard to tell from the Green Party meetings over at the U, but not everyone thinks that being regulated to death solves all the problems of the world.. Just a thought. Don't tell that to the 19 year old vegan biatch from Madison that you're trying to schtupp! Please, go back to crying softly into your herbal tea.
dylanmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 09:02 PM   #78
dylanmo
Founding Member

Default Re: you should write a book

Two separate issues here. a) should public figures, like an AMA racer (an exceedingly liberal use of the word public, really) lose his job over a dewey? Maybe, probably, and that's tough cookies for him far as I'm concerned.

b) are dewey laws sometimes stupid? Where's my kpaul html book ?......YES. I know it's more fun to accuse John of being a drunk than to engage arguments, but here's the deal. Often, a small amount of alcohol is a reasonable risk, while a large amount of inattentiveness or inexperience is much more of a risk. Stop being a ****, just because you can. Drinking is bad! Good for you. Got any other strong opinions, like murder is bad? Maybe kicking puppies is bad. Hard to tell, without your ***** guidance.
Old 04-14-2004, 09:03 PM   #79
dylanmo
Founding Member

Default Re: you should write a book

***** stands for farking.
Old 04-14-2004, 09:18 PM   #80
dylanmo
Founding Member

Do you really want an example of an overly oppressive law? Do you? Are you that fecking stupid? Please, God, give me this man's phone number so that I may sell him swampland.