Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 04-14-2004, 09:48 AM   #41
wwalkersd
Founding Member

Default Re: Anthony ''Go-Show'' Gobert

<blockquote>

Gobert is a professional, and as such his actions on and off the track reflect his organization (Erion and Honda)</blockquote>

Exactly. Remember, too, that Honda is the company running those "Stupid hurts" ads in the backs of all the magazines. How would it look for one of their own to be DUI? You could also look at it as their taking their own slogan to heart. Anthony was stupid, and Honda made sure it hurt.

On another note, I got the impression that the DUI wasn't the only issue with the Go-Show. His inability to get his visa squared away in time for Daytona may have had something to do with it, too, as well as other issues about which we know nothing.
wwalkersd is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-14-2004, 09:50 AM   #42
blitz
Founding Member

Maybe alcoholics are one of the prime causal factors involving automobile crashes, and if that is the case, it makes sense to try to address the problem.

BTW, DUI is only one source of impairment. Distraction is another. However, alcohol (ab)use directly correlates to crashes, it is a prime causal factor, so why not address it?

This is my last rebuttal, but take a look at the facts. This is from

http://www.health.state.ok.us/PROGRA...ed_driving.htm

¨ 39% of America's traffic deaths are alcohol-related.

¨ About 2 in every 5 Americans will be involved in an alcohol-related crash at some time in their lives.

¨ The number one killer of teens and young adults in the United States is alcohol related highway crashes.

· A young American dies about every 3 hours in an alcohol related vehicular crash (nearly 9 deaths per day).

Given a choice, I'd prefer to share the road with sober drivers, and I'd much rather see the definition of impairment be the 0.05 BAC defined in Germany.

blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 09:57 AM   #43
blitz
Founding Member

I just caught this. A DUI "victim" is someone who is innocently involved in a crash with a drunk driver, not someone who's been busted for a 0.09 BAC.

If you blow a 0.09, you broke the law. You're not a victim.
Old 04-14-2004, 09:59 AM   #44
zxr250cc
Founding Member

I have seen him race Muzzy Kawasaki bikes at Laguna Seca and do astounding things with them. I have been frustrated that he is so talented and yet has seemingly thrown it away multiple times with multiple teams...

I wish I could honestly say I was that good a high speed driver of bikes. I've been riding for over 35 years and am not nearly so quick on my sport bikes..

If I was busted for drunk driving I would be out of work. Most of us would be in the same predicament. The US decision to comply with harmonization to UN (of all things!) rules for 0.8 % blood alcohol level has more to do with safety and money than safety, I suspect. However, no one should drink and drive. Drink at home if you want to be drunk, have a designated driver or take a cab.

I hope he finds another ride, he is fun to watch.
zxr250cc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 10:01 AM   #45
johnnyb
Founding Member

you'll make a fine bureaucrat. Locked on target aren't you? If 39% are alcohol related, what about the other 61%? you seem to be willfully ignoring them.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 10:22 AM   #46
ValkBandit
Registered Member

that's a little too simplistic, isn't it? the line has to be drawn somewhere. after all the alternative to bureaucracy is anarchy, and i don't know anyone who wants that.

we all approach this issue from our own perspective. perhaps it would help if we broaden our horizons.

someone who has been tagged for DUI sees the system as unfair.

someone who has lost a loved one to a drunk driver sees it as not stringent enough.

you could argue that both views are understandable. but the fact remains one party was totally innocent while the other Knew Damn Well what the law is and broke it anyway.

let me hasten to say here that i've been guilty of driving under the influence myself. in my younger days i did some crazy things. and maybe if i'd gotten tagged i might feel differently. but i knew at the time i was breaking the law. KNEW it. and did it anyway.

but i wasn't and i don't. i'm older now and would not think of driving drunk. my focus these days is on my 17-year-old son. i'm scared to death because i now know how easy it is to lay down your life on the freeway to some idiot who stopped giving a ***** and took up residence in a flask of whiskey.

you can split hairs if you want to regarding where the intoxication threshold is. but i think if you drink and drive you deserve whatever happens next. tragically, the people you plow into DON'T.
ValkBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 10:22 AM   #47
blitz
Founding Member

Show me another *single* causual factor which exceeds 40% and I would gladly focus my attention there. But, you can't. If that is the biggest problem, that is where the attention should be focused.

I am locked on target. You think you're a vicitm because you got popped for a DUI. You decided to drink and drive/ride. You made the choice. You're not a victim. Why not take responsibility for your actions?

If impaired drivers only hurt themselves, there would be no issues. However, there are too many cases where impairment harms the innocent. Therein lies the problem.

I am sure your song would change if you were hit by a drunk driver.

Good luck. Be safe.
Old 04-14-2004, 10:31 AM   #48
johnnyb
Founding Member

Inattentive driving. Bad driving. Lack of driver training. Drunkenness only exacerbates all of them and is a nice red cape for the govt. to wave in the public's face as it does nothing to promote any sort of real driver training.

I'm perfectly happy to take responsibility when I do something wrong. It's also my responsibility to ***** when people are unjustly punished by sanctimonious lynch mobs unwilling to delve beyond the surface of a complicated problem. Say, let's crucify JESUS!
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 11:12 AM   #49
pdad13
Founding Member

Default Re: I can't believe I'm about to say this but...

It's a shame that anyone with talent would waste it. Yet some do. I don't know if he's got a real problem (I someone who is incredibly stand-up and recieved a DWI for a few hours of uncharacteristically bad judgment), but based on what little I know about his past, he's definitely got some responsibility issues at the least.

The silver lining in all of this is that most times it takes something really bad to happen before people will really get help or change their destructive behavior.

Hopefully Gobert will be thankful someday that his "something really bad" was losing a ride and not a vehicular homicide conviction.
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 11:17 AM   #50
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

I'm suprised johnnyb, of all people would complain about this stuff. It's all about safety baby! Checkpoints, helmets, seat belts, .08 alcohol levels, no drugs, (cept the approved variety) no smoking, no speeding, and most of all, NO FUN ALLOWED! You people out there are just too dangerous to trust. Californy is just reaping what they sow. You wanted safety, you got it. Let's keep em all in line over there. Make sure the thought police get in gear and welcome to 1984. Utopian society in the West. Just make sure it stays out West.