Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 04-14-2004, 08:03 AM   #31
blitz
Founding Member

Default Re: Anthony ''Go-Show'' Gobert

Can you provide a reference/citation for that study? This seems to contradict the information we have in Minnesota, and especially with teen drivers. I would really appreciate the citation or reference. Thanks in advance.

One of the things we are showing in the simulator studies is they typically, "early" drinkers (kids, really) without much exposure to alcohol really are affected much more severerly than older drivers. At 0.05, these kids are all over the road.

One other factor is that habitual alcohol abusers not only tolerate alcohol better, they change their driving habits to minimize their chance of being caught driving drunk. The problem there is that they spend so much of their concentration on that task, if something unexpected happens, they can't react to it. (Kind of like Keith Code's $10 of concentration.)

Random roadblocks and BAC tests show that in the evening hours, approximately 1 in 20 drivers is legally drunk. I am all for 0.08 BAC as it lessens the chance that some drunk is going to take me out as I ride my R60/5 home at night.
blitz is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 04-14-2004, 08:13 AM   #32
blitz
Founding Member

What I don't get is why you cited this in the first place if the whole test was fixed. If you don't agree with the results, then why base your argument on these results?

I give up.
Old 04-14-2004, 08:16 AM   #33
Double_L
Registered Member

Default He without sin cast the first stone

Yeah, and for all of you taking the hard line:

Studies also show that speeding also kills. I doubt that there are many of us who haven't broken some traffic laws. So let's not be too quick to judge from our high and mighty thrones of righteousness.
Double_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 08:19 AM   #34
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

I read about the study in an editorial by Patrick Bedard in Car and Driver magazine severl years ago. I no longer have that issue but if you can look it up it contains a lot of insight into the reasoning of states adopting the .08 BAC. VWW
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 08:22 AM   #35
johnnyb
Founding Member

Right. I'm all for the knock in the night and jack-booted police forces stopping crime before it can germinate. Here in lovely Orange County, three motorcycle policemen have been killed in the last few years–all of them in broad daylight by completely sober individuals who simply didn't see them. How should we address those kinds of things? Might it be that bad driving has something to do with the problem, and that alcoholics are an easy target to demonify?
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 08:32 AM   #36
blitz
Founding Member

Thanks.
Old 04-14-2004, 08:46 AM   #38
cycleguy26
Founding Member

Default Re: I can't believe I'm about to say this but...

I believe he was riding for Erion without a salary so they really had no other way to punish him except to fire him. I think his Erion ride was more of a probationary trial and he blew it. Yeah, it sucks for Gobert and his fans, but how many chances does anyone deserve?