Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 03-30-2004, 06:44 PM   #1
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Active Tire Monitoring Equipment

Sounds like a solution looking for a problem.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-30-2004, 07:26 PM   #2
F451
Founding Member

Too many add-ons. Every motorcyclist knows when their tire is going flat and I also religiously check my tire pressures and inspect my tires; this device does not inspect the actual exterior of the tire for defects, damage or wear. When they come out with technology that automatically washes and details my bike, I'll be interested.
F451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 04:44 AM   #4
nokneedragin
Founding Member

Wash???

Detail???

These words mean nothing to me.
nokneedragin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 05:42 AM   #5
ehalseth
Founding Member

For those of us who ride in endurance rallies and other long distance events, this might actually be nice. All I know is that when I have been riding 1500 miles non-stop, checking tire pressure at a gas stop is not the first thing that comes to mind. What first comes to mind is reaching wherever I am going and getting the hell off of my 2X4 of a seat.
ehalseth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 10:01 AM   #6
TatdNPrcd
Founding Member

That's funny... The first thing that comes to my mind at those gas stops is, "Out of my way! I've gotta pee!" Of course my ST1100 will go about 300 mi tank-to-tank so those stops are around five hours apart and I love Red Bull and my Camel-Back.
TatdNPrcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 11:00 AM   #7
nokneedragin
Founding Member

I actually could see something like this being used for GP, not for the rider but tied into the onboard computer, that allready tracks rpm, fuel consumption, suspension movement, etc. Might give some extra info to the engineer
nokneedragin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 03:55 PM   #8
chickenman_26
Founding Member

I tested this product and published the article in Wing World Magazine. The point most people apparently miss is that the product isn't intended to take the place of regular tire inspections and pressure checks. Its purpose is to alert the rider to a tire that's going down while underway. That may not be a big deal on a smaller bike. But a fully loaded Wing, riding two-up and pulling a trailer will result in a hell of a mess if rapid deflation occurs. This product provides enough early warning to allow the rider to get the machine stopped. Some may think an experienced rider should be able to detect a tire going soft in plenty of time. But in the real world, it seldom works out that way.
chickenman_26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 09:35 AM   #9
Islandcomm
Registered Member

Excellent points, all. The physical act of inspecting the tires, lights, cables, etc before one rides involves the rider and lots of other small problems (oil or coolant leaks, loose fasteners, etc.) can come to light. With the power our bikes have now, this is mandatory for a safe and enjoyable ride.

The motorcycle cyle industry, slowly but surely, seems to be moving in the direction of the car and truck industry: airbags, door crash beams, TVs, call phones and cup holders all theoretically make the drive more comfortable, but they also distract the driver and make he or she less attentive to the job at hand. At the insistence of legislators, they've now made it possible for anyone with a heart beat to get on the highway, cause an accident at 100 mph, and actually survive. The responsibility has, to a large extent, been removed from the driver to improve his or her skills, because the consequences have also been reduced.

(With apologies to Jonathan Swift),I say that all automakers should be legislated to install a large, hardened steel, 6 inch spike in the middle of their vehicles steering wheels. The number of accidents will be reduced, those that get into accidents won't plug up the health care system, and we motorcycle riders will have some well-deserved comic relief on those long tours we take.

What do you think, MOrons?????
Islandcomm is offline   Reply With Quote