Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Misc News (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/misc-news/)
-   -   Riding through the Chernobyl ''Dead Zone'' (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/misc-news/2358-riding-through-chernobyl-dead-zone.html)

captainwhoopass 03-30-2004 12:08 PM

Re: Land of Milk and Honey

You do realize that about 1 out of 10,000 motorcyclists in the cold states rides through the winter, right? Maybe you are that one guy, but there are still several hundred thousand sissy motorcyclists living in your state as well, wherever that may be.

captainwhoopass 03-30-2004 01:14 PM

Re: Hey Abe!

Just like their 1980's police bikes look like 1940's BMWs...

mile_eater 03-30-2004 03:45 PM

You're comparing Cali to Illinois. Wow. It's better than illinois which also really sucks.

Compare it to any of the states I listed. Try twisties all the way to the Dragon, and twisties all the way back.

318 curves in 11 miles. The asphalt is brand new. Looks like it's practically swept it's so clean.

If you ain't got the Two Wheels Only Inn, you ain't got nuthin'.

But hey... If you want to say that Cali is better than the bottom of the barrell like Ohio, Indiana, and Illinois... Be my guest. No arguement there.

My main point on this thread is, there is more to the world than that one state.

obandoj 03-30-2004 04:31 PM

Re: Riding through the Chernobyl ''Dead Zone''

Did you see what happened to the twin towers? Did you hear about the suit case nuclear devices they have had access to?

Pretty scary if you asked me.

seruzawa 03-30-2004 05:30 PM

I'll tell you what really sucks. Utah. Don't ever come here. Stay away. It's all boring with terrible roads. Go to California or the Appalachians or anywhere but Utah.

pdad13 03-31-2004 04:45 AM

This was really facinating. Thanks for the link.

sportbike_pilot 03-31-2004 06:54 AM

Actually that has been studied rather extensively. Less people would have died (and would die in the future) if the 9/11 terrorists had crashed a large airplane into an american power reactor.

I second, third and fourth the comments above about nuclear energy being more "green" that most of what we are currently using.

sbp

ccd3 04-01-2004 05:16 AM

I'll insert what i know about this stuff from training...

Nuclear powerplants use reinforced concrete. They tested structural integrity by crashing a rocket-powered F4 at over 500 knots in a representive section. It penetrated the concrete less than one inch. An F4 is no 767- but- the concrete is several feet thick. Containers used for shipping nuclear rods are incredibly robust. They have been crashed-tested by having freight trains traveling 80 miles per hour and been placed next to Railcar-size LPG and detonated. To say they are well-engineered is an understatement. Nither caused a breach of contents.

You mentioned suitcase-sized nukes. Mostly these are dirty-bombs. Conventional explosion that releases levels of industrial radiation. (from X-rays, spent medical sources etc) They would ruin an individuals day- but not cause any harm to a infastructure. A "real" suitcase size nuke is a contradiction in terms. It would be way too heavy for a person to carry. The one model i know of can clear a house- but it weighs over 250 pounds. I wouldn;t be the easiest thing to lug around

Dixit 04-01-2004 05:11 PM

This is one of the best ride story I have read in a long time. Some of the pictures are better than what I saw in the National Geographic on Chernobyl. The girl has talent but she is crazy. I don't have enough knowledge to really assess the risk but I don't believe that you can travel that many miles in a radioactive environment without inhaling radioactive dust or pollen of some sort after a while. Good luck to her.

captainwhoopass 04-05-2004 07:17 AM

My point is, if you compare ALL of the states listed to California, it doesn't look good for Cali. Any one of those states, by itself, however, isn't that great compared to California. There is no place that I've seen in the lower 48 (including the areas you mentioned) that have anywhere near the concentration of good roads that California has.