Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > Misc News

Old 03-29-2004, 10:57 AM   #23
Jonniedee
Founding Member

Default Re: Riding through the Chernobyl ''Dead Zone''

Where the ***** else can I see a current BMW RT photo on this Jap Junk of a site? Screw you guys - keep the Beemer up!
Jonniedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 11:18 AM   #24
VFRider
Registered Member

Rossi kinda dropped a nuclear bomb of his own now hasn't he?
VFRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 11:24 AM   #25
TatdNPrcd
Founding Member

HA! It was a c r a p board anyway. Every time I made a crack about Mitch his security force would jump to his defence about what a great guy he is and how it was guys like you who are the real reason the mag sucks so bad.
TatdNPrcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 01:20 PM   #26
kowalke67
Founding Member

Well, that just wasted 20 minutes of my companies money. Sucks for my company but was insightful and highly entertaining for me.

Very, very good post. And yes, please remove Ponche and John from the front page.
Old 03-29-2004, 01:24 PM   #27
mile_eater
Founding Member

Hrmm.. I agree on idiot factor. But saying this was an accident is misleading.

What actually happened, was more like this. In a "test", they turned off all the saftey measures and tried to heat up the reactor to then bring it back down in an experiment.

Reactor overheated, and there were no safety measures to save thier butts.

So now we get to hear how unsafe Nuke power is... when in fact... it's human stupid that was the problem.

Old 03-29-2004, 01:31 PM   #28
mile_eater
Founding Member

Default Stupid Left Coast...

What is it about people from California that makes them believe that the rest of the country cares about the same stuff that they do? CHIPS? Are you kidding me?

Please remember that most of us ain't from Cali, and wouldn't even consider moving to such a commie infested hell hole.

Hey, how about an article on the best roads in cali? OH! Or the best dealers in cali? Or the hot babes?

Or better yet, how about something that someone may actually give a damn about.

Old 03-29-2004, 01:51 PM   #29
FrankS1
Founding Member

Default Re: The article

First, a general comment. I assume, though she doesn't explicitly say so, that she is the daughter of somebody pretty high up in the Russian govt.; director of research and operations in the Chernobyl area would be my guess. Just the casual mention of getting someone to show her around the deserted city, and also knowing that when I was just getting out of Caltech, at her approximate age, a Triumph TR6 just about broke the bank. And wages in Russia are a lot lower than they are in the US. Doesn't take anything away from the story, of course..

And on a lighter note: she mentions that the motorcycle shop (and the appliance stores) were looted. Those folks were REALLY peddling some hot merchandise.
FrankS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 01:58 PM   #30
Tigercub
Founding Member

Wow, fantastic pictorial. I remember some time after the accident we heard that something terrible had happened in Russia (USSR), but we didn't know exactly where or what. Those picutres that Elena took are fascinating.

A brief aside. The Chernobyl reactor was a pile reactor, which was controlled by mechanically inserting control rods into the core. The Uranium was actually not that highly enriched in U-235., but when it went supercritical and the rods could not be reinserted it nearly blew up and released a lot of radioactive material. All of our power reactors have higher enriched unranium, but are blended with moderating material, such that if they heat up the capture cross-section for neutrons drops and they power down to a steady-state level. This makes them much safer and the worst accident that can happen is what happened at 3-Mile Island. No deaths, just a big mess.
Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote